Got Citizenship via Asylum, Pakistani passport expired, trying to bring Iranian girlfriend here

She had to wait for 2/5 years for her husband AP to be clear and then travel ban happened and she had to wait another two years because of travel ban didn't let her husband to come to USA. Not sure why this is hard to understand.

So what exactly did she sue over and how was she successful? She surely did not sue to overturn the travel ban because that would have made headline news.

Edit: ah, I see now that you posted the rest. She was successful in getting a waiver. That is not suing over the ban.... that is doing the workaround. You had said "I have heard one of people who sued Trump administration has got his husband visa after 4 and half years this morning." which is not accurate in light of what you subsequently posted.

So what exactly did she sue over and how was she successful? She surely did not sue to overturn the travel ban because that would have made headline news.

Edit: ah, I see now that you posted the rest. She was successful in getting a waiver. That is not suing over the ban.... that is doing the workaround.
That was the suing about.
They sue because supreme Court agreed on trav l ban as long as there is genuine waiver to those who had all three condition however after two years no one barely got their waiver.
They sue government over not getting anyone waiver
If they wouldn't they waiver was still under review to this day.
It is all over the news. CNN, and so many news station are talking now over yamanian families and iranian families who sued Trump over not getting their waivers reviewed.

She got the waiver. Right. The travel ban still exists. So what do you think OP should do, wait for a waiver or go to Canada if he wants to get his wife over as soon as possible?

She got the waiver. Right. The travel ban still exists. So what do you think OP should do, wait for a waiver or go to Canada if he wants to get his wife over as soon as possible?
He should waite for a waiver, after six month if they didn't respond to his waiver sue the administration.
So far whoever sue the administration got their waiver soon after that since they don't want anyone go to supreme Court and open a new law suit about travel ban.
He can go to Canada but I think still should fight for his wife if he plans to live in USA and have family someday.

He should waite for a waiver, after six month if they didn't respond to his waiver sue the administration.
So far whoever sue the administration got their waiver soon after that since they don't want anyone go to supreme Court and open a new law suit about travel ban.
He can go to Canada but I think still should fight for his wife if he plans to live in USA and have family someday.

Right then... is this "whoever sues the administration is successful" based on your facebook group, or a wider database, or what? Is there a list out there of all the cases that have sued and what their outcomes have been, and how long they have all taken? (The administration already have the decision of the Supreme Court in their favor so I don't buy the "they don't want to go to the Supreme Court" argument.)
What happens if he applies for a waiver and it's just denied outright? That happens, yes?

I'm just wary of giving people advice based on a few anecdotal stories, especially when in situations like the OP it is even more complex than a "normal" travel ban story.

In any case, OP was one who brought up Canada as an option so presumably he is open to it. If the goal is to live in a safe democratic country with your spouse as soon as possible, it's a good option.

Last edited:
I got my US Citizenship with Asylum from Pakistan 8 years ago. I have a girlfriend from Iran and we've been in a relationship for one and a half years. The US government's current Travel ban prevents her from joining me here in the US and this is causing us a lot of hardship. I'm considering helping her get Pakistani citizenship by marrying her there and then I would be able to sponsor her as my fiancee in the US. I found out from multiple sources that it is not possible to revoke my US citizenship as long as my asylum application was truthful which it was. If I have to, I can travel to Pakistan, get their national ID card or renew my expired Pakistani passport if thats what I need to do in order to bring her here.
The Pakistani passport renewal website asks if I applied for asylum abroad. Does anyone know how this affects the passport renewal? I doubt that they could know that I was an asylee anyway so I could possibly answer 'no' to that question. After advice from my asylum lawyer, I went back there once for an emergency and I used my US passport with a Pakistani visit visa.

Something just occurred to me.. you want to get your future spouse to get a passport of a country that you claim persecuted you? And willing to go there when you claimed that country is not safe for you? If I didn't know any better, you're attempting ways to get her into the US in some rather imaginative ways.

Right then... is this "whoever sues the administration is successful" based on your facebook group, or a wider database, or what? Is there a list out there of all the cases that have sued and what their outcomes have been, and how long they have all taken? (The administration already have the decision of the Supreme Court in their favor so I don't buy the "they don't want to go to the Supreme Court" argument.)
What happens if he applies for a waiver and it's just denied outright? That happens, yes?

I'm just wary of giving people advice based on a few anecdotal stories, especially when in situations like the OP it is even more complex than a "normal" travel ban story.

In any case, OP was one who brought up Canada as an option so presumably he is open to it. If the goal is to live in a safe democratic country with your spouse as soon as possible, it's a good option.
No. There is no database out there although from one of the lawsuits that "shabnam lotfi" one of the lawyer in travel ban case has done they finally release the numbers of waiver that has been granted and we saw that was less than 1 percent of application.

If they deny his waiver they have to give him a reason why they didn't meet those three reason and I don't know where can he go from there.
However, if they have tie in USA which he has, they won't deny his waiver. They mostly not answering to his waiver and out it under review for years.
However, I am not sure of all the aspects.

I have been in touch with the lawyers that have conducted yamanian family sue a couple of months ago and are doing the iranian families cases now.

I have introduced Curtis Morrison and Rafael (don't know his last name) to the iranian group and proud of doing that as it ended up to the lawsuit that is happening now from iranian families.

I have been in all the groups about travel ban and talking to the people who are affecting aand fighting. I can help and have enough information that confidently can say is more than most people in this forum about travel ban specially iranian families. I am and my family are suffering under travel ban.

You want a legitimate source who tells other what to do in these horrible and inhumane situation. There is none. I wish there was.

It's all what I did what she did situation.
You are not affecting by travel ban.
you are based the legitimate of these cruel ban on supreme Court approval which was voted 5 against 4. It means 4 democratic didn't agree and 5 Republicans agreed. Therefore it was only a political game. If it was legitimate all 9 of them were agreed on travel ban.

I don't need to persuade you on anything. You are not the one who are suffering from travel ban.

I am talking to OP or anyone who is affecting here. I personally talked the lawyer who has done yamanian family law suite and is preparing the iranian law suite and if he (the OP) ever decided to follow this route I can help him to connect to those people.

Here what they have done so far

https://www.jurist.org/news/2019/07/federal-judge-allows-travel-ban-lawsuit-to-proceed/

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/24/politics/iranian-americans-travel-ban-trump-lawsuit/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

https://www.kqed.org/news/11763562/...-to-travel-ban-visa-waiver-program-to-proceed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.amny.com/amp/news/travel-ban-lawsuit-1.33597533

Last edited:
tinaina, thanks for being understanding and for your experience on the travel ban. Too bad that you are also suffering due to it. Yea I'm aware of these very recent lawsuits with US govt and Curtis Morris. I might message you.
"He should wait for a waiver, after six month if they didn't respond to his waiver sue the administration."
Yes I'll try to talk to lawyers to see how long I would have to wait if I went that route.

I'm summarizing my issues. I'm writing them down for myself and others:
  1. Canada (or another country.) - I started the process for Canada. Not sure if I can qualify or not. My CRS scores are low and most likely I need a job offer for that to succeed but with another option I may not need it. Canada will be temporary. I hope one day the travel ban will be gone so I can come back. Canada is cold in the winter.
  2. Pakistan - helping her get Pakistani citizenship and then I can sponsor her for here. Various possible issues (mostly questions for myself, but if anyone has information, let me know):
    • My passport has expired, do I need to renew it? Will I be able to renew it, if I have to? Do I have to tell the Pakistani govt that I applied for asylum? What would the impact be for my response for either case? Are they able to know who applied for asylum and who hasn't?
    • That is definitely an interesting choice as 1AurCitizen pointed out: "Something just occurred to me.. you want to get your future spouse to get a passport of a country that you claim persecuted you? And willing to go there when you claimed that country is not safe for you? If I didn't know any better, you're attempting ways to get her into the US in some rather imaginative ways."
      I think the main issue here is, if trying to get her a Pakistani passport through me will create problems for her. Could the US govt reject the validity of that marriage? Could the people processing her fiancee/spouse visa be aware that her spouse had applied for asylum? If they can know it, could it be an issue? I think we can just guess, although I would like to get any references information that talks about what the law actually says. Does US law say I have to give up Pakistani citizenship? I never officially renounced it. I just let my Passport expire and there's a dual citizenship agreement.
    • If she gets Pakistani passport, she'll have to be a spouse. Supposedly, spouse visas take longer than fiancee visas. Not sure what the situation is nowadays.
    • What are the requirements for her getting the Pakistani passport? I'm trying to find that out.
      The Pakistani option looks difficult/complex with a lot of questions although who knows, maybe it could work out.
  3. USA: I stay here and she remains an Iranian citizen. Should I marry her now and file a lawsuit for a waiver? How long would that take? I dont want to wait a long time. 4.5 years is too long. Maybe Canada is the best option as someone said but again I dont know which option can work out.
There's a lot of information to find out and decide how to proceed. Its a difficult situation. I dont know what to do. I'll keep working to find out more information.

Odd for an asylee to be seeking a benefit from a COP that allegedly persecutes.
1AurCitizen, I should not really respond to that but here it goes and I'll try to be as short as possible. 1AurCitizen, you don't have any knowledge about my case so indeed as tinaina said, please refrain from making judgements without the required information. The judgement was made by the US govt and thats the only judgement I care about. Also I dont have any plans of going back to COP for any long-term basis. I want to avoid short-term visits too if I can. The US govt allows citizens going back to the COP so if it was wrong, they would have made a law about it. If you want to look at this issue like that, then we should also keep the following in mind. The US government did give me protection and I'm thankful for that but now its creating big problems for me and my partner in an unfair manner and it is being oppressive. I'm suffering because of "political games" as tinaina said. So I have to consider my options. The only "benefit" I'm asking from my COP is so I can possibly help with the issue that government granting me protection created for me. I don't think I mentioned any details about the kind of asylum I applied for and I dont need to disclose that here and thats not what I'm here to talk about. I preemptively said that my asylum application is truthful because the most common question that people ask about it is "was it based on a valid claim or was it fake?" so that is all I should need to say about that and I said it so people wouldn't try to say things along those lines so we can keep the discussion focused on what is relevant for me. I'm not here to discuss or defend my asylum or anything else, I'm here to get some informed opinions on what I should do and what the consequences can be.

tinaina,out.
[/LIST]
[*]USA: I stay here and she remains an Iranian citizen. Should I marry her now and file a lawsuit for a waiver? How long would that take? I dont want to wait a long time. 4.5 years is too long. Maybe Canada is the best option as someone said but again I dont know which option can work out.
[/LIST]
There's a lot of information to find out and decide how to proceed. Its a difficult situation. I dont know what to do. I'll keep working to find out more information.

No. You don't have to wait 4/5 years for your waiver to be accepted. I heard as soon as you apply and get interview and 6 months past interview, you can file a lawsuit against Trump administration.
However, this should file with other people to be cheaper.

Although, normally, fiance visa is faster than marriage visa however, in travel ban situation marriage visa is considered more serious than fiance visa.

Please before getting married talk to a lawyer.
Maybe there are other options you can go through it.

Last edited:
I don't think I mentioned any details about the kind of asylum I applied for and I dont need to disclose that here

In January 2009, you posted, and I quote, I got the GC through political asylum (category: AS6). The card says, Resident since: 4/24/06

We don't make things up.

OP, can you explain about your wife getting a Pakistani passport,would she get it just being married to you, or would you need to live there for some time again?

As for waiver, well people can get upset with me for simply pointing out that the Supreme Court has upheld the ban, and of course it’s done on political lines, but it doesn’t change the fact that the highest court in the land has upheld it. When do you plan to get married? The waiver may not even matter for you depending on timeline - it takes around a year for a marriage petition to get approved, another few months to interview. Even if you get married pretty soon, that puts you around end 2020... perhaps just in time for a Democrat president to reverse the travel ban executive order once he or sh3 takes office.

No. You don't have to wait 4/5 years for your waiver to be accepted. I heard as soon as you apply and get interview and 6 months past interview, you can file a lawsuit against Trump administration.
However, this should file with other people to be cheaper.a

Although, normally, fiance visa is faster than marriage visa however, in travel ban situation marriage visa is considered more serious than fiance visa.

Please before getting married talk to a lawyer.
Maybe there are other options you can go through it.
Thank you, I'll think about it. Indeed I'll need to talk to a lawyer about this.

OP, can you explain about your wife getting a Pakistani passport,would she get it just being married to you, or would you need to live there for some time again?
According to some information that I got I might have to be there for 2 months. I dont want to do that but I'm going to try to confirm it.

As for waiver, well people can get upset with me for simply pointing out that the Supreme Court has upheld the ban, and of course it’s done on political lines, but it doesn’t change the fact that the highest court in the land has upheld it.
Oh yes of course, that is the law right now and I have to deal with it. On that note, the vote was divided (5/4). The political landscape in this country is sadly divided.

When do you plan to get married? The waiver may not even matter for you depending on timeline - it takes around a year for a marriage petition to get approved, another few months to interview. Even if you get married pretty soon, that puts you around end 2020... perhaps just in time for a Democrat president to reverse the travel ban executive order once he or she takes office.
I'm not sure when to get married. For example the fiancee visa is faster as you said but then again right now only the marriage visa is seen as more important for the waiver. I'll consider all options to see which one could work faster without issues: the Pakistani passport option, the waiver option, or Canada. Canada could be the fastest but I'm not sure.
Yea, provided that a democratic president wins the election which I hope they do. Or maybe the Canada option will work out.
I'm getting desperate to resolve this. I need to gather more information and think about the options so I'm working on that.

Last edited:
In January 2009, you posted, and I quote, I got the GC through political asylum (category: AS6). The card says, Resident since: 4/24/06

We don't make things up.
1AurCitizen, You're making it appear like I'm trying to hide something. You should reconsider the way you interact with people on the internet and on this forum. Some other people on the forum have come to the same conclusion, right here and on other threads.

Doing a quick Google search, as far as I can see, AS6 is the only official asylum related category. This forum wont let me post links but if you search "AS6 asylum", its the first link from a US govt website (URL ends with .ms.us ) You can call it "Political asylum" but the fact is that its just called "asylum" (source) and there's no official differentiation. AS6 doesn't tell you what the asylum was based on (gender, race, religion, political views etc) and you can see that from the Govt website link that I talked about. Here's a quote from another non-govt website that explains that:
Asylum may be granted to people who are already in the United States and are unable or unwilling to return their home country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. (source: ImmiHelp website)

I think you're not familiar with the specifics of asylum but again, feel free to correct me if you know something additional and you are able to source it properly from official govt websites.
Navigating laws and governments requires one to be cautious and specific and not rush to conclusions without acquiring the necessary knowledge first.

On this thread I'm trying to get helpful advice from people. If you have nothing helpful or useful to share in this thread, perhaps there are other threads that you can contribute to in a helpful manner. Thank you.

1AurCitizen, You're making it appear like I'm trying to hide something. You should reconsider the way you interact with people on the internet and on this forum. Some other people on the forum have come to the same conclusion, right here and on other threads.

Doing a quick Google search, as far as I can see, AS6 is the only official asylum related category. This forum wont let me post links but if you search "AS6 asylum", its the first link from a US govt website (URL ends with .ms.us ) You can call it "Political asylum" but the fact is that its just called "asylum" (source) and there's no official differentiation. AS6 doesn't tell you what the asylum was based on (gender, race, religion, political views etc) and you can see that from the Govt website link that I talked about. Here's a quote from another non-govt website that explains that:
Asylum may be granted to people who are already in the United States and are unable or unwilling to return their home country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. (source: ImmiHelp website)

I think you're not familiar with the specifics of asylum but again, feel free to correct me if you know something additional and you are able to source it properly from official govt websites.
Navigating laws and governments requires one to be cautious and specific and not rush to conclusions without acquiring the necessary knowledge first.

On this thread I'm trying to get helpful advice from people. If you have nothing helpful or useful to share in this thread, perhaps there are other threads that you can contribute to in a helpful manner. Thank you.

You had previously posted that you had not mentioned any details about the type of asylum you had applied for. I was just pointing out that you in fact, have.
As my signature states, I speak my mind and that too based on member posts. I feel I am quite helpful on this thread. So it would be helpful if you refrain from asking others not to post. Thank you!

Pls keep us posted how things go for you.

You had previously posted that you had not mentioned any details about the type of asylum you had applied for. I was just pointing out that you in fact, have.
No I did not. You didnt understand my reply. As I said, I gave no specific details now or 8 or 10 years ago on the specific kind of asylum I applied for. AS6 doesnt say what kind of asylum it is and you quoted my post talking about "AS6" implying that it was asylum based on "political views" when thats not necessarily the case.
"Political asylum" is used often by people to mean "asylum" (which covers all kinds of asylum including race, gender, political views etc), especially when its related to US asylum. I did that too in that post from 8 or 10 years ago.
The reason why many people do that is that "political asylum" means the laws/politics of a country are threatening someone on the basis of gender, race, religion or political views. Notice the details here.
The fact is that the government officially does not differentiate between the kinds of asylum, in particular, the category that is mentioned on a piece of document. AS6 doesn't imply "asylum based on political views". It just means "asylum" (or political asylum as called by many) which covers all categories of asylum.

So now you know something new. I hope you will remember that next time you discuss anything related to asylum in the US.

Last edited:
You never open your mouth about asylum in Pakistan, not on Passport application, not anywhere.

Why? They will want to know why you applied for asylum. Are you going to tell the Pakistani official their gov is xyz. No. Dont be dumb.

If you really dont fear anything then why did you apply for asylum at the first place? If you have to go there because of emergency be discrete and if you really fear being persecuted get the heck out of there as soon as you can. Finito.