Got a timeline on Passports today !

Ladybuggy

Registered Users (C)
I went to the Postoffice today and the Lady infront of me ask for an application for a passport and she ask how long it would take and the Postofficer said even WITH expedited and express mail and so on it could take aprox. 4 weeks since they now require passports for mexico and canada.
Thought I would share this Information.

I might add something having received my passport less than a week back:)

It took me 6 days expedited:) There is no backlog right now. I however did not want to take a chance and did not think twice in paying the extra $60 for expedited processing. I have an overseas visit coming up and need a Chinese visa.

Some tips if you are in a hurry:

1. Use Post office rather than county offices for filing.
2. I checked the signature waiver for receipts so that I did not waste a day by having the USPS person putting a not found at home sticker on my door.
3. Pay fees for expedited return as well.
4. You can fill the form on-line and print it rather than download a file, because it saves time at the passport office.
5. If you have a name change included do not send your name change court order with the US passport application, just the naturalization certificate is good enough.
6. Make several notarized copies of your naturalization certificate and apply for the driver's permit in new name before handing over your naturalization certificate with your passport application.
7. Once you get your passport do you new Social Security Card. If no name change, then you still have to update your status with the SSA office.
8. Once you get your new SS card you can ask your employer to change your name.
9. Surprisingly most US businesses do name change based on a photocopy of your court order without asking for a notarized copy. I however sent notarized copies in some places.

The US passport looks real cool. It has an embedded chip in it and the instruction says not to expose to "extreme" temperatures. Mine was lying in the mail box at below 20F for several hours.

Can't wait to come back to the US after my overseas trip. I have always been asked how long you were out. I am wondering what they ask a USC on return? Any recent USCs returned from overseas with their new US passports?

I went to the Postoffice today and the Lady infront of me ask for an application for a passport and she ask how long it would take and the Postofficer said even WITH expedited and express mail and so on it could take aprox. 4 weeks since they now require passports for mexico and canada.
Thought I would share this Information.