Got A# number. Did I escape priority date retrogression?

aaifor

Registered Users (C)
My I-140/I-485 was filed dead end of Dec 2004. My finger print notice has an A# printed on it.

The retrogression in EB3 is said to be because of lack of A# number availability.

Since my FP notice does have an A#, does that mean that I avoid the retrogression? (I do understand that the normal processing time delays would apply nonetheless)

aaifor said:
My I-140/I-485 was filed dead end of Dec 2004. My finger print notice has an A# printed on it.

The retrogression in EB3 is said to be because of lack of A# number availability.

Since my FP notice does have an A#, does that mean that I avoid the retrogression? (I do understand that the normal processing time delays would apply nonetheless)

Nope. A# should not be confused with visa number. Retrogression is due to non-availabilty of visa number and NOT A #.

A# is assigned when you submit I-140, whereas a visa number is assigned only when your I-485 is approved. So in your case, you merely got the A#, but you have to wait for your PD to be past the cut-off PD's before your case can be approved (and a visa number alloted). Sorry !

Are'nt the A# and visa number same? When I had gone for FP the lady at INS told me that the A# was going to be the GC# when i get my GC.

So what is the difference between A# and visa number?

aaifor said:
Are'nt the A# and visa number same? When I had gone for FP the lady at INS told me that the A# was going to be the GC# when i get my GC.

So what is the difference between A# and visa number?

Visa number is something that would be got just before approving the 485. I don't know if appears on the greencard or not, but CIS needs to get one before it can approve the 485.

am waiting for my visa number

My case is
when i attand the interview the officer didn't stamp my passport and the reason he told that he appilied for our visa number and he will get it in two days,also he told i should recive my approval letter in two weeks.
it is more than two weeks now and am little worried since he took my current I 94

How long will it take to assign the visa number and
how can i know my PD is current,
my 485 app says PD in AUG 2004

thanks
kesava

bharad1 said:
Visa number is something that would be got just before approving the 485. I don't know if appears on the greencard or not, but CIS needs to get one before it can approve the 485.

On the Card, there are TWO numbers:

1, your I-485 LINxxxxxxxx number, this is your card number(I will check it on my kid's card).

2, You A number

IDreams said:
On the Card, there are TWO numbers:

1, your I-485 LINxxxxxxxx number, this is your card number(I will check it on my kid's card).

2, You A number

So what is a VISA number? Or is that just a count of number of Green Cards issued?