Got 485 approval by mistake...Urgent please help me out..

shernil_s

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,

My PD is Jan 2002, EB3 India. As you know, for EB3 India the cut off date is Apr'2001 but I got my I485 approved and I have received my green card by mail before my priority date became current.

My lawyer told me that USCIS is not supposed to approve my 485, but they did it by mistake. So,my lawyer spoke to immigration officer over the phone and asked them to cancel/revoke my I485.

I have one more problem also that I recently got married and I was waiting to file I485 for my wife. I could not do it before because of retrogression. Now that My I-485 is approved and my spouse is technically out of status.

Now, Its almost more than a month my attrony spoke to USCIS. I did not receive any notification about the cancellation/revokation
of my green card from USCIS. I am really worried becuase of my 485 got approved on Apr 3rd and technically my spouse is out of
status and I could not file 485 for her.

Could someone suggest me how to resolve this issue. Can I file my wife's I-485 even though my priority date is not current. Or
Should I go and meet someone in local office?

When is an Approved I-485 Not a Good Thing?

I got this from ©MurthyDotCom

We at the Murthy Law Firm believe in sharing our experience with unusual and challenging cases for the benefit of others who may have similar problems. Of course, we do so only with the consent of the particular client/s involved. We recently obtained a successful resolution to a unique predicament. The case involved the approval of an I-485, Application to Adjust Status, at a time when the priority date was no longer current for the principal applicant, and thus, no visa number was immediately available to obtain his permanent resident status. As regular MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers know, I-485s cannot be approved unless an immigrant visa number is immediately available in the specific category. Thus, the I-485 was approved in error by the USCIS for this individual.

Why Do Anything? Because One Cannot Rely on USCIS Error

In this circumstance, why would anything be done if the I-485 was approved in error by the USCIS? Why not just leave well enough alone? First, as a general rule, one should not rely upon an error of the USCIS. This is true in a number of situations, including cases in which the USCIS gives extra time on the H1B without a proper legal basis. In the green card scenario, there is a risk that the USCIS may seek to rescind the wrongfully granted green card if and when they discover the mistake, or, even worse, may seek removal action against the individual. It could also create a problem for future cases for family members or when applying for naturalization to become a U.S. citizen, even if the USCIS opts not to take action against the individual before that time.

H-4 Spouse Required to Maintain Dependent Status

Second, in this particular case, the applicant's spouse had recently arrived in the U.S. in H-4 status. She was not able to file her I-485 application to adjust status to permanent resident, because the priority date was not current. It was, therefore, critically important that the primary applicant retain his H1B status so that his spouse could continue to legally hold her H-4 status. Once the I-485 was approved, the primary applicant was no longer in H1B status. Consequently, the spouse was no longer allowed to legally remain in the U.S. in H-4 status. While the primary applicant was technically a green card holder, the spouse was in a much worse position than she would have been if the principal just remained in H1B status.

Safer to Address Issue Now with Existing Job Offer

Third, this was an employment-based case. It depended upon a job offer. If the situation was ignored, it might not be possible to fix it in the future, as the job offer may no longer exist. It was far better to address the problem immediately, so that our client, hopefully, may one day end up with a green card that is proper and without potential problems.

Solutions to the Problem : Help from AILA Liaison and a USCIS Officer

We placed inquiries with the USCIS Service Center (SC) through the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). In response, we received a letter from the SC, acknowledging that the USCIS approval of the I-485 was erroneous. The SC requested that the applicant mail back his green card, so that the approval could be rescinded. The applicant returned the green card to the SC. However, we did not hear from them. After approximately one month, we made an additional inquiry, and discovered that the file had been transferred to the local office for rescission.

It was important to be sure that the local office understood the circumstances of this case. Most importantly, we required assurance that any action on their part would result in the couple being returned to the H1B and H-4 statuses that they held before the incorrect approval of the principal’s I-485. We did not want the approved green card to be rescinded without any further action on the part of the USCIS. What we did want was the rescission of the approval and the reopening of the I-485 for continued processing so that, when the priority dates do became current, the H-4 spouse will be able to file her I-485 and the principal’s I-485 can be correctly approved. It was critical that the applicant and his spouse be returned to their respective H1B and H-4 statuses, and the I-485 be reverted to pending.

We contacted the local AILA Chapter Chair to find out the best way to reach the proper person at the local office. We were able to get the name and telephone number of the Adjustment Supervisor at the local office in question. That individual turned out to be incredibly helpful, and became personally involved in helping with a successful resolution of this case.

Mutual Agreement for I-485 Rescission and Reinstatement of H1B/H-4 Statuses

The Murthy Law Firm attorney was able to contact the USCIS officer directly (which is uncommon). Together the attorney and the USCIS officer came to a mutual agreement as to how the situation should be resolved. This would take two steps. The USCIS would move to rescind the I-485 approval and our firm would consent to the rescission on behalf of our client. The USCIS would reopen the I-485 via a Service Motion to Reopen (which means the Service acts on its own to reopen the case with no filing and no filing fee). This rescission of the approval and reopening of the I-485 automatically returned the applicant and his spouse to H1B and H-4 statuses. The USCIS officer also agreed with the attorney that the applicant in this situation was not to be placed in proceedings in connection with the rescission.

Successful Outcome

Thanks to the help of this USCIS officer who understood the potential for severe consequences resulting from this mistake, the situation was successfully resolved. As planned, the USCIS officer issued a "Notice of Intent to Rescind" the permanent resident status (green card). The Murthy Law Firm replied, agreeing that the erroneous approval should be rescinded, and that the USCIS would carry through with its agreed upon Service Motion and reopen the I-485, and the applicant and his spouse were, thereby, to be returned to H1B and H-4 status, respectively. Within a couple of weeks, the applicant received a letter from the local office confirming that the approval was rescinded, and that the I-485 had been reopened on Service Motion.

I-485 Approval Not Always an Error

We have seen another case at the Murthy Law Firm involving an I-485 approval after the priority date was no longer current. We were not certain whether that case was approved in error, or was just a delay in notifying the parties of the I-485 approval. In that situation, we were able to confirm with the USCIS that the actual approval had occurred several months earlier, when the priority date was still current, so that this I-485 approval was not erroneous, after all. For some reason, in this instance, it had taken the SC approximately four months to issue the approval notice.

In the more recent case, however, we knew that this could not be the explanation because the applicant had responded to a Request for Evidence (RFE) after the priority date was no longer current. It was impossible, therefore, that the case could really have been approved at a time when the priority date was current. We believe it is best to clarify and resolve such matters in the long term interest of the client/s.

USCIS Errors are Not Easy to Solve in Many Cases

We would note that resolutions such as this are not simple. We were greatly aided in coming to a solution because we were working with a cooperative, accessible USCIS officer. Even with that, it did take several months. When cases involve a local USCIS office, the ease with which a situation can be resolved varies greatly depending on the policies and procedures of the particular local office and the individual officer concerned. We are very grateful to the USCIS officer in this case for her unparalleled cooperation.

Conclusion

We at the Murthy Law Firm recommend that, whenever an applicant receives any erroneous approval, s/he discuss the problem with a qualified, experienced immigration attorney. The goal should be developing the best strategy to resolve the situation for a successful, long-term solution for all concerned parties.

I know, the 485 approval is not good for me. But could some one suggest me the future course of action. What should I do? I haven't got response from USCIS...Its more than a month and its killing me...

First thing I would definitely do:fire your attorney. I would talk and get someone like Rajiv or another lawyer to help me, even if I have to pay a little bit more.

shernil_s said:
Hello Friends,

My PD is Jan 2002, EB3 India. As you know, for EB3 India the cut off date is Apr'2001 but I got my I485 approved and I have received my green card by mail before my priority date became current.

My lawyer told me that USCIS is not supposed to approve my 485, but they did it by mistake. So,my lawyer spoke to immigration officer over the phone and asked them to cancel/revoke my I485.

I have one more problem also that I recently got married and I was waiting to file I485 for my wife. I could not do it before because of retrogression. Now that My I-485 is approved and my spouse is technically out of status.

Now, Its almost more than a month my attrony spoke to USCIS. I did not receive any notification about the cancellation/revokation
of my green card from USCIS. I am really worried becuase of my 485 got approved on Apr 3rd and technically my spouse is out of
status and I could not file 485 for her.

Could someone suggest me how to resolve this issue. Can I file my wife's I-485 even though my priority date is not current. Or
Should I go and meet someone in local office?

YOU didn't do anything wrong. the stupid uscis did and because it's their mistake they shoudn't hold YOU responsible for it!!! they screwed up, not YOU! if they ever try to hold this against you, i am sure any good lawyer with a brain and integrity will be able to defend you.

yes, i agree with marlon2006 get rid of your stupid lawyer!! why did he/she have to call them and tell them? who is paying him/her: you or uscis? he/she should know who his/her client is...heck, it's possible that uscis wouldn't have ever realized the mistake (given how disorganized they are) and you could just have gone on with your lucky green card!

shernil_s said:
I know, the 485 approval is not good for me. But could some one suggest me the future course of action. What should I do? I haven't got response from USCIS...Its more than a month and its killing me...

Your problem is since your 485 got approved before you could add your wife, her dependent status gets nullified and she becomes out of status.

So basically you do not want that approval at this time. Your lawyer did the right thing by contacting USCIS cos there is a chance that if they find out their mistake they may revoke it. He\she should further follow up to get some written feedback on your reinstation of status.

Get a (paid) consulation with Murthy (since she has claimed to have handled a similar thing before) right away and see what they have to offer. Get Infopass appointment next and talk to the immigration official on this.

One way that people, who get their 485 approved and had been married before their approval but could not add their spouse application in time, take is to apply for Follow to Join for their spouse. Do a search in this forum. There is a thread devoted to it too. Research this option. From my limited knowledge, the problem here is that for your wife to not go out of status, she will have to leave the country (if she is unable to get into another status) and apply for FTJ in that country's consulate.

Thanks avi101 for your response. You are right. I should take infopass and meet someone in my local office. I will ask my attorney to take initiative in meeting some one in the local office. Having legal advice always helps.

If nothing works out, I will have sheela murthy to handle this case.

shernil_s said:
Thanks avi101 for your response. You are right. I should take infopass and meet someone in my local office. I will ask my attorney to take initiative in meeting some one in the local office. Having legal advice always helps.

If nothing works out, I will have sheela murthy to handle this case.
Why wait for "nothing to work out". If you have a complicated legal case, it takes a lot of luck to find an attorney who has handled exactly that kind of situation successfully. In a matter as critical as this, you'd better have a very qualified attorney working with you from the beginning instead of DIYing and mucking things up.

gravitation said:
Why wait for "nothing to work out". If you have a complicated legal case, it takes a lot of luck to find an attorney who has handled exactly that kind of situation successfully. In a matter as critical as this, you'd better have a very qualified attorney working with you from the beginning instead of DIYing and mucking things up.

The case is not all that complex to throw away 1000's of $$$.

One of my friend -- who applied for 140 and 485 concurrently ... Got his 485 approved before his 140 got approved.

His attorney wrote to USCIS about the mistake .. It took 45 days to recind the approved 485.
[ Now his 140 got approved .. but waiting endlessly for 485 :) ]

I would suggest going for an Infopass right away.

Meanwhile, call USCIS directly and ask to talk to an Immigration Office (if the customer representative does not transfer, tell him\her your questions, confuse him\her and try to get to talk to an Immigration Office (IO). Don't rely on the customer reps advice. IO may be able to guide you further besides letting you know if they had got communication from your lawyer and what is being done about it. If the CR does not transfer to IO, call again after some time. you may end up with a differenct CR who may transfer you.

Before you decide to go with a lawyer take a consultation first ($200 or so I think), see what they can do and if they had any experience and decide accordingly.

I am grateful to everyone for their advice.I will let you know as soon as I get any success in resolving the issue.Thanks again.I appreciate your time.