• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Got 2nd NL for CP in Colombo

Mihiranga

Registered Users (C)
I got the second NL some time back informing me that my consular interview will be held on 21'st February at the US embassy in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

I'll write about some of the issues that anyone doing CP in Colombo should be aware of.

* There are two places where the medical examination can be done.
These are:
1) Asiri Hospital, 181, Kirula Road, Colombo 05 (Tel: 4523300 , 2588267)
2) Dr. K Rajendra, Medical Center, 97, Dharmapala Mawathata, Colombo 07 (Tel: 071-4738802)

I went to Dr. Rajendra at the medical center for my medical examination.
The forms that are necessary for the medical examination was not sent along with the second NL. (I think for those doing CP in Sri Lanka the medical forms are not mailed along with the second NL) I was told by the embassy that I should collect the forms from the embassy itself, but there was no need to do so since Dr. Rajendra had forms with him. I collected the forms from the Medical Center, went to Asiri Hospital for the medical tests came back with the results of those medical tests to get the medical examination done. The total cost for the medical examination was RS.4800.
Anybody who hasn't gotten chicken pox as yet should get vaccinated for it and it would be good to get it done before the medical examination since two vaccines are required and they have to be given around (I think) 6 weeks apart from one another. (In my case, fortunately I had gotten the chicken pox vaccine a few years back)
Also keep in mind that it will be necessary to have around 3 photographs when going to get the medical examination done.

* The second NL states the following:
"In order to obtain the Sri Lankan police certificates, pls. attach a copy of your passport biographical page to your DS 230 Part1 application. The US Embassy in Sri Lanka will obtain the police certificate on your behalf. Please do not attempt to obtain the police certificate to Sri Lanka by yourself".

* The fee for the DV visa interview is 775 dollars. I telephoned the embassy and I was told that the embassy DOES NOT accept cash and that I have to obtain a bank draft in favor of the embassy and bring it with me on the day of the visa interview. I still didn't get the bank draft made; I'll update this post when I do so.

(UPDATE- made a correction for the amount of the fee. My 2nd NL actually states it to be 755 dollars, but as Igmu points out, the fee has been increased by 20 dollars from the January 1'st.)

(UPDATE 2- I went to the Nugegoda branch of Seylan Bank and got a bank draft made for 775 US dollars in favor of the embassy of the United States. I took the second NL with me. That's a good thing because they need some documentary evidence to prove that such a draft is necessary. Exchange control regulations in Sri Lanka are pretty strict. I had some explaining to do since the second NL says that the fee is 755 dollars. Fortunately they took my word that the fee has in fact been increased. Guess I should have taken a printout of the web page which states the fee for an immigrant visa interview along with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Igmu,
I am wondering whether 775 dollars is the full amount that has to be paid. The page you linked to also mentions a fee of 85 dollars for "US visa fingerprinting" under "Special Visa Services". Should this also be paid by DV applicants?

(UPDATE - Okay, I did what I should have done B4 asking this question and applied the search function! You have already answered this question in another thread! Thanks!)

You're welcome. I found the information about the increase of the fee in another forum and figured most people probably don't know about it.
Btw: I'm sure a lot of people from Sri Lanka are glad that you posted your experiences. I think it's especially interesting that there you're supposed to have the embassy get your police certificate.
About the vaccinations: In my case they also accepted an anti-body test for chickenpox (which proves that I already had this illness and therefore I'm immune). And I thought that most doctors give their okay even if you only had the first of a series of shots (I know that in Switzerland and Germany this is the case). However, this seems to differ from country to country so people should take your advice and inform themselves early enough what vaccinations they need.
Good luck with the interview!

Hey actually I think they give the okay after the first shot in Sri Lanka too. I was just expressing my opinion that it would be a good idea to get the vaccination thing over with! But even if somebody doesn't do that the Doctor will probably give the okay after administering the first shot.

I went to the Nugegoda branch of Seylan Bank and got a bank draft made for 775 US dollars in favor of the embassy of the United States. I took the second NL with me. That's a good thing because they need some documentary evidence to prove that such a draft is necessary. Exchange control regulations in Sri Lanka are pretty strict. I had some explaining to do since the second NL says that the fee is 755 dollars. Fortunately they took my word that the fee has in fact been increased. Guess I should have taken a printout of the web page which states the fee for an immigrant visa interview along with me.

I got the second NL some time back informing me that my consular interview will be held on 21'st February at the US embassy in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

I'll write about some of the issues that anyone doing CP in Colombo should be aware of.

These are:
2) Dr. K Rajendra, Medical Center, 97, Dharmapala Mawathata, Colombo 07 (Tel: 071-4738802)

The forms that are necessary for the medical examination was not sent along with the second NL. (I think for those doing CP in Sri Lanka the medical forms are not mailed along with the second NL) I was told by the embassy that I should collect the forms from the embassy itself, but there was no need to do so since Dr. Rajendra had forms with him. I collected the forms from the Medical Center, went to Asiri Hospital for the medical tests came back with the results of those medical tests to get the medical examination done. The total cost for the medical examination was RS.4800.
Anybody who hasn't gotten chicken pox as yet should get vaccinated for it and it would be good to get it done before the medical examination since two vaccines are required and they have to be given around (I think) 6 weeks apart from one another. (In my case, fortunately I had gotten the chicken pox vaccine a few years back)
Also keep in mind that it will be necessary to have around 3 photographs when going to get the medical examination done.

"In order to obtain the Sri Lankan police certificates, pls. attach a copy of your passport biographical page to your DS 230 Part1 application. The US Embassy in Sri Lanka will obtain the police certificate on your behalf. Please do not attempt to obtain the police certificate to Sri Lanka by yourself".

* The fee for the DV visa interview is 775 dollars. I telephoned the embassy and I was told that the embassy DOES NOT accept cash and that I have to obtain a bank draft in favor of the embassy and bring it with me on the day of the visa interview. I still didn't get the bank draft made; I'll update this post when I do so.

(UPDATE- made a correction for the amount of the fee. My 2nd NL actually states it to be 755 dollars, but as Igmu points out, the fee has been increased by 20 dollars from the January 1'st.)

(UPDATE 2- I went to the Nugegoda branch of Seylan Bank and got a bank draft made for 775 US dollars in favor of the embassy of the United States. I took the second NL with me. That's a good thing because they need some documentary evidence to prove that such a draft is necessary. Exchange control regulations in Sri Lanka are pretty strict. I had some explaining to do since the second NL says that the fee is 755 dollars. Fortunately they took my word that the fee has in fact been increased. Guess I should have taken a printout of the web page which states the fee for an immigrant visa interview along with me.

Hi Mihiranga,

Congratulations & All the best in your forthcoming DV interview.
The information you provided is really going to be helpful to DV winners in sri lanka.

As a DV winner of Sri Lanka i wish you every success.

These are:

Hi Mihiranga,

Once again my best wishes to you at the interview.

Please share your CP interview with us.

All the best

Cp Interview At Colombo

HI MIHIRANGA,

I HOPE YOU HAVE BEEN SUCCEEDED AT YOUR INTERVIEW ON LAST THURSDAY.

COULD YOU PLEASE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE WITH ME IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS,

# ABOUT SPONSERS LETTER ?
(DO WE NEED THE FORM I 134 OR A LETTER FROM A FRIEND IN U.S.A IS J JUST ENOUGH? )

# BANK STATEMENT?
( MINIMUM BALANCE TO BE SHOWED )

# DID YOU GET THE VISA STAMPED ON YOUR PASSPORT ON THE FOLLOWING
INTERVIEW DAY?

ONCE AGAIN MY HEARTFELT CONGRATULATION TO YOU.
IF YOU WISH YOU MAY CONTACT IN MY E MAIL arunprasath6@yahoo.com

WITH REGARD.

" ARUN "

My interview went well. I am so Happy! The consular officer kept my passport and gave me an appointment to collect the visa in April.

The Answers to Arun’s questions are:
Nope I don’t think a 134 is required by the US embassy in Colombo, a sponsorship letter is enough. I think this has been verified by many others who have done CP in Colombo.
I really don’t know what the minimum amount one should have in the bank or even whether a bank statement is absolutely required. I wasn’t asked for a bank statement(perhaps this is because I already gave a sponsorship letter), but the consular officer accepted it from me when I asked whether it is needed.
My passport was kept and I was given an appointment to come and collect it and the visa in April. I think the reason for this is that the embassy has to get a police report on our behalf after the interview and it takes some time.

Hi Mihiranga,

Its Glad To Hear That You Got Through Your Interview Well.

Thank You Very Much For Your Quick Response.

All The Best.

With Regards,

"arun"

Got Visa

I got the visa today. My interview was on 21'st February. It was successful and I was told that the visa will be ready on 10'th April.
Today I collected the visa,passport and my original documents.

This forum has been tremendously helpful to me. I want to thank everyone here for making it an extremely informative resource. I would like to thank especially Kpkumar, for suggesting that I submit a sponsor letter, Igmu for pointing out that the processing fee for CP has been increased by 20 dollars to 775$, Zahid474 for advising me on how to get an Indian police clearance and LucyMo for all her excellent posts that cover all the things that need to be done for successful CP/AOS.

Wish everyone all the best!

Green card

Hi Mihiranga,
Welcome to USA.
Sorry for being late to inform your guys about my status.
I got my green card Today.
I had my interview in Colombo(Sri Lanka) in late February.
My visa approved without sri lankan police report.
I used to live in USA for 8yrs.
Visa officer only asked when i need to retun to USA.

Thank you everyone in the forum for providing useful information.

Good luck to everyone.

*8yrsusa

Hey thanks a lot Igmu. Hope you are settling in well to life in the USA. Wish you all the best.

And thanks 8yrsusa! Congratulations on the successful visa interview. After 8 years I guess you would have already settled in. Wish you all the best!