Good to know for November/December filers.

davinder

Registered Users (C)
I called BCIS yesterday and spoke with the officer. Purpose of my call was to check the status of my application. Officer said it is still pending. But then she said your case is waiting for the security check. She also said besides fingerprint check, everyone has to go through the security check before he/she gets any kind of approval. So I don’t know how long more it can take to get my I485 approval..

Please guess… even though I don't like it…
Thanks,

RD: 11/26/01
ND: 12/03/01
FP: 06/26/02

How does this security check work? I mean how is it different from the FBI findings from the finger print? Any ideas.

I think they are referring to the IBIS check which is different from the FBI check. FBI check is just checking for any fingerprint record that matches their records. IBIS on the other hand is system that has been in place since 9/11. It focuses on immigration related records only.

RD:11/14/01
AD:?????????

Here is mre info to securtiy checks

the INS is now subjecting all cases to a security background check. Delays were inevitable but the extent of those delays and the numerous problems caused are just coming to light. One of the main problems is that, regardless of where they are in the process, security checks must be performed now on all cases. However, not all INS offices are set up properly to perform the background checks.

The INS issued a memo on Friday, May 10, 2002, requiring these security checks on all cases. They previously had stated that the checks would not be required for those forms that started with the letter "N," such as the N-400, Application for Naturalization. Now it applies to all cases, including applicants for naturalization. Although the directive applies nationwide, some INS offices, unfortunately, either have no access or limited ability to access the required database known as IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection System).

According to the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), even in those offices where the INS has IBIS access, many of the officers have not received training that would allow them to use the system. The Washington Post reported on May 16, 2002 that in the New York District Office there is only one computer with IBIS access. Twelve new computers are on the way. The net result is delay. Cases cannot be approved without IBIS clearance.

This is obviously an issue of great concern to all immigrants and immigration lawyers.