Good News

douls

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone.

Today Tuesday May 10, when I get off from work I had opened my mailbox and I have seen a big white Envelope was coming from Kentucky Consular Center that was DV Lottery for GC. And wish good luck for everyone.

Thank-you.

that's great man! congtars! I am wondering though if it is better to go for DV or wait for GC thru asylum now that the cap is removed. best of luck for you and your lottery GC.

douls said:
Hi Everyone.

Today Tuesday May 10, when I get off from work I had opened my mailbox and I have seen a big white Envelope was coming from Kentucky Consular Center that was DV Lottery for GC. And wish good luck for everyone.

Thank-you.

A GC through Asylum is much better deal for you than through DV.

It's DV-2006, but I didn't know they began sending the results. It's early, isn't it? BTW, CONGRATS!!!!!

bornTwice said:
A GC through Asylum is much better deal for you than through DV.

In what planet?
How could u make such a laughable statement?
Under DV you get a green card in less than a year with no restrictions about travels

augustasylee said:
In what planet?
How could u make such a laughable statement?
Under DV you get a green card in less than a year with no restrictions about travels

Less than one year?? It actualy depends on the backlog in the local INS office. It can easily take more than one year. And with the passage of the REAL ID Act there is no longer a cap on asylee adjustment. So the DV process will not be faster than an asylee process.

Moreover, for an DV application you have to provide an affidavit of support (or a job offer), evidence of high school graduation, evidence that you entered the country legally and have not violated the terms of your stay (unless you are covered by 245(i) in which case you will have to pay an $1,000+ fine to the INS) and you cannot have entered the country using a faked passport or something like that.

And no restrictions about travels? Do not fancy that they will just forget your asylum application because you have adjusted via another legal means. They will always know that you have applied for and been granted asylum. They have your asylum application. They will follow up if you do anything that will cast suspicion on your asylum application, especially in the current enforcement mentality.

The only DV advantage over asylum is that you were married after gaining asylum, your spouse can get her GC with you under DV but not under asylum.

Last edited by a moderator:
hampton8844 said:
Less than one year?? It actualy depends on the backlog in the local INS office. It can easily take more than one year. And with the end of the REAL ID Act there is no longer a cap on asylee adjustment. So DV application will not be faster than an asylee application.

Moreover, for an DV application you have to provide an affidavit of support (or a job offer), prove that you entered the country legally and have not violated the terms of your stay (unless you are covered by 245(i) in which case you will have to pay an $1,000+ fine to the INS) and you cannot have entered the country using a faked passport or something like that.

And no restrictions about travels? Do not fancy that they will just forget your asylum application because you have adjusted via another legal means. They will always know that you have applied for and been granted asylum. They have your asylum application. They will follow up if you do anything that will cast suspicion on your asylum application.

The only real DV advantage over asylum is that you were married after gaining asylum, your spouse can get her GC with you under DV but not under asylum.

I concur with your analysis. Some asylee tend to believe that having a GC through marriage, DV or employment would change their asylee status. In fact, I don't understand why some of these asylees do not like their name attached to "asylum".

To add one more point on the GC through asylum vs. DV--assuming I got a DV in 2005, I would get my DV's GC not earlier than late 2006. Once I got that I should wait another solid 5 years (until after 2010!!) to apply for citizenship. However, with I-485, I may get my GC by this year, and apply for citizenship by late 2008. I think for asylees with ND earlier than 2003, it is wise to stick to I-485 than DV.