Good News, Vidyaram, Posmd And Hadron

DRVR

Registered Users (C)
I wanted to let you guys know that my I 485 got approved today.
I cannot believe that an officer called me on a SATURDAY and left a message on my answering machine that he had a question.
I called back and left a message for him and he called me today at 7 am ! and said that he had looked thro the application and got the answer . He was looking for my five year completion paper work. I had a letter from the VA chief, HHR and also a letter from the chairman of medicine with exact dates and IRS papers.
He had already approved it and was calling me to let me know that it was approved. I did not know that a good side to INS exists.

I have to thank this website, forum all the physicians who are on this forum and especially to Hadron, POSMD and Vidyaram who have been very helpful to me.

I had started my fellowship in 2006 and I knew that it would take a couple of years to get GC and hence took that risk of going on to fellowship after completion of 5 years. AS POSMD puts it- it is very legal that INS requires five years of NIW and that should be enough. As long as you have done your work with no gaps you should be fine.
Please let me know if anyone has a question. I personally believe NIW is the way to go if you are seeking fellowship.

THANK YOU AGAIN

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND NOT LEGAL ADVISE. PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR ATTORNEY BEFORE MAKING ANY MOVES.

'Man travels faster than the speed of light'......
'Physicist discovers corners in a circle'.........
'CIS officer calls petitioner at home and approves GC'.........
Nothing is impossible after that!
Congrats DRVR!
I am assuming you are from India or China; can u tell me, what was your priority date? And did you get an RFE for the above info and if so, when? Thanks!

Yes I am from INDIA,
MY priority date was april/ may 2004.
I finished 5 years in June 2006 and I sent a 5 yr completion package(I made my own little paper work check sheet with all the documents and sent it) in July 2006.
I took the risk (negligible I think) and went ahead and did the fellowship. I got an RFE for the completion in Jan 07. (They probably trashed my first one as there was no form for them to tag to). That completed the RFE and sent the same documents back to them. I then had to wait for my PD to get current I guess.

Good luck to every one. I think that there is light at the end of the tunnel for every one.

Firstly A big Congrats! Thanks for sharing your info. I know we will all get our coveted(well earned too I might add) green cards in the end, but it sure must be peace of mind to know you can plan your employment/moves etc without any restrictions and second guessing.
You probably have a Priority date a little earlier than you think, since the cut off is April1st 2004 at this time. I know because I have a priority date that has been an excruciating few weeks short for much of the past year! I am kind of surprised you did not get your green card last year in the fiasco when all dates were current and your 5 yrs were done.
Did you do your fellowship in a VA hospital setting or other teaching hospital and did you change home addresses? Also did your RFE request any additional info other than evidence of 5 yr HPSA/MUA or VA work? I am just trying to see if they look for anything else once your comittment is completed.
I've already responded to my RFE for completion documents last year. So just wondering what happens after that. I saw some soft LUDs on my case last october and then last week, so lets see.

Congrats ! Break out the champagne. Glad to hear that stories end well.

And yes, they do have telephones at USCIS, and occasionally they will call you to speed things up. The poor sap at the adjudication desk just wants to get through his pile without admitting the next mohamed atta. (otoh, if he rejects a doc on false grounds, his boss will hear from the congressmans office in a hurry). So if they can sort out some minor issue over the phone, they will actually pick it up once in a while.

Congrats!
That must be a big relief. We got our green cards last month too. I was not in town to give an update!
Vidyaram