Good news from Pres. Bush

chi_lin

Registered Users (C)
I heard from my attorney this morning that President Bush has signed a bill last week to clear the I485 backlogs at all the service centers.

Any thoughts/comments?

Chi_lin

really?

I didn't even know that a bill was introduced for pending backlogs.

I know they introduced a bill to for undocumented workes, and for immediate family members of Green Card holders.

Can you ask your attorney for any links, literature on this matter and more details on what the bill states?

If this is true, it is truly a good news.

It's not a bill

I misinterpreted what my attorney said. It is not a bill. It is something like a memo or note to USCIS. I'll try to find out more on this and post any information I gather.

I Checked The White House Web Site

The 'bill' or 'memo' that was refered to seems actually to be part of the budget proposal. Here is what it says.
Immigration Services

· The CIS budget includes $1.8 billion, a 9% increase ($143 million) over FY 2003 to support further improvements in application processing as well as the processing of projected volume. The $1.8 billion is comprised of $236 million in appropriated funding and approximately $1.6 billion in projected fee revenues.

· The CIS budget supports the President's five-year, $500 million initiative, begun in FY 2002, to attain a universal six-month processing time standard for all immigration benefit applications, and provide quality service to all legal immigrants, citizens, businesses and other CIS customers. The third $100 million installment of the President's five-year plan consists of $20 million from revenues generated by the Premium Processing Service fee and $80 million in appropriated funds.

Given the recent GAO audit results, where it made it clear that since the CIS did not know how much it cost to process an applicator or have a system to track an applicatiions prgress and that they did not know how much it would cost to clear the backlog. http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109417 Who is to say that this is enough?

jaykarandikar, if you want to read about the "Bipartisan Immigration Reform Bill" that was introduced in Senate, then read the bulletin "VOL. X, no. 05; January 2004, week 5" on murth.com, if you read it before Friday then the direct link is http://www.murthy.com/bulletin.html otherwise you will have to look for it in the archives.

I quote certain text
"The bill submitted has bipartisan support, which means that it is backed by some members of both the Republican and Democratic parties. Senate Bill 2010, if enacted, would call for significant changes in family immigration. The number of family-preference visa numbers would increase, thus reducing the backlogged priority dates. Spouses and minor children of lawful permanent resident spouses would no longer be regarded as preference relatives, subject to visa availability backlogs. These family members would be considered immediate relatives, just like spouses of U.S. citizens. Immediate relatives are exempt from numerical limitations"

Immigration Services

· The CIS budget includes $1.8 billion, a 9% increase ($143 million) over FY 2003 to support further improvements in application processing as well as the processing of projected volume. The $1.8 billion is comprised of $236 million in appropriated funding and approximately $1.6 billion in projected fee revenues.

· The CIS budget supports the President's five-year, $500 million initiative, begun in FY 2002, to attain a universal six-month processing time standard for all immigration benefit applications, and provide quality service to all legal immigrants, citizens, businesses and other CIS customers. The third $100 million installment of the President's five-year plan consists of $20 million from revenues generated by the Premium Processing Service fee and $80 million in appropriated funds.

So you all really think that if more money is given to USCIS, the backlog will be reduced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D