• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Going to the interview without a passport!

pharunde2

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anyone had to go to the interview for DV without passport.
I am not living in my country of citizenship, and my passport has expired. I asked for a new one, but it may take 3 more months to get it.

Meanwhile, my interview for DV 2009 is in November 2008. I will not have a valid passport at that time.

My question: is it possible to go the the interview without a passport, and submit it later?

Thank you very much for (any) answers!

Are you doing CP or AOS?

If you are doing CP, I don't think it is possible since they need your passport to give you the visa.

If you are doing AOS, then it is possible to do it without the new passport.

3 months to get a new passport?! What country are you from? Can your country embassy just give you a passport extension instead of renewals? and can your country embassy issue you a new passport? Is there a way to expedite the passport renewals process? I know in some countries you can do that by pay extra money or find an agent to do it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing CP.
It actually takes ~6 months to get a new passport!!! I applied a couple of months ago.
I can't get it faster....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all!
I have the same problem - can't get a new passport here, only have 1 more semester to go in school, so I cant' leave to get a new passport right now. I actually called KCC regarding this matter, and was told that I can't do AOS without a valid passport (i switched to CP), because it is requirement for fingerprinting... If anyone has some other info on this, do share!!! it's so confusing...:confused:

Hi all!
I have the same problem - can't get a new passport here, only have 1 more semester to go in school, so I cant' leave to get a new passport right now. I actually called KCC regarding this matter, and was told that I can't do AOS without a valid passport (i switched to CP), because it is requirement for fingerprinting... If anyone has some other info on this, do share!!! it's so confusing...:confused:

To leave the country to do CP might be difficult with an expired passport (if you are flying). Almost all airlines will not accept to transport you on international routes if your passport is not current. You could try get an emergency travel document from your embassy if thats the case.

Sun14, don't your country have a mission/consulate in the US where they can renew passports?

Unfortunately, some consulates do not emit the passports themselves.
Instead, they mail the application to the country of origin, and then wait for months in a row to get the passport back...

in turkey i heard some like this: she issue the visa and told the petitoner if we approve ur visa right now u ll lose time from your 6 months for poe. So i mean u can go wıthout passport and tell them to keep your issue until u get your passport. İ cant remeber the reason for that friend maybe he was a soldier in turkey and have more 6 monts to finish. Thats why interviwever officer offer him keep his visa till 6 months.

To leave the country to do CP might be difficult with an expired passport (if you are flying). Almost all airlines will not accept to transport you on international routes if your passport is not current. You could try get an emergency travel document from your embassy if thats the case.

That's exactly what I'm going to do - I'll get the "permission" to return from my embassy, and get a new passport when I get to my home country.

And Pharunde is right - some countries (like ours, obviously:)), would not issue a new passport in a foreign country, but would allow to submit all documentation here and "pick up", so to speak, a new one when you get home.