Going to India Today on AP; any special advice??

amcom

Registered Users (C)
Hey All,
Travelling to India today and coming back after a month on vacation.

I'm taking my AP papers and copies of 485 receipts & EAD card. Anything else i should be taking care of?? anything i'm missing..please advise...

Sabko Raam Raam .... & Happy Diwali... :)

Raam Raam bhai (or bahen as the case may be),

Take your spirit and a bottle of the finest but leave your GC troubles behind. We will safeguard those. Possibly an approval will await you upon your return. Take Care and have Fun.

Check Transit Visa needed..

Check whether Transit Visa is required in case if you have stop over at Franfurt or Paris...Also, assure that your employer do mentions in your letter that you have a project in hand after coming back...keep handy W2's, I-140 approval or I-485 receipt notice...

Last one, if possible try to avoid coming thru NY/Newark (NJ)...friend of mine had tough time at NY POE

Lets summarise (add to list):
1. Passport (with I94)
2. H1B\ whatever visa
3. EAD card
4. AP papers
5. Transit visa
6. Letter from current employer
7. W2 forms for last 3 years.
8. 485 receipt copy
9. Tickets
10. native local cash for necessities\emergencies (and bribes :))
11. some USDs for return necessities\emergencies.

avi101 said:
1. Passport (with I94)
2. H1B\ whatever visa
3. EAD card
4. AP papers
5. Transit visa
6. Letter from current employer
7. W2 forms for last 3 years.
8. 485 receipt copy

I would not recommand to take tax return or W2. Leave your tax returns and social security card at home. World is getting smaller and identity theft is getting bigger.
Still if you want to take tax return, first black out social security numbers from every page and then photocopy it (don't take the same copy where you blacked out, because even if you black out the number will be still readable underneath).

Make some photocopies of AP, keep it in separate bag from your original AP.

Ap

Somewhere I had read that some people got 2 copies of AP and in this forum it ws suggested to have 3 copies.
Confirm that. I have never used AP so cannot advise.

Good Luck..and ...Bonvoyage

Lakshya said:
Somewhere I had read that some people got 2 copies of AP and in this forum it ws suggested to have 3 copies.
Confirm that. I have never used AP so cannot advise.

For using AP first time, 2 copies of AP is enough. At POE first time, officer keeps one copy and returns you 2nd copy after stamping on it. That stamped copy is good enough for future re-entries (provided AP is for multiple entry).

Some service centers/district offices provide 3 copies. The 3rd copy is for airlines. But they don't need originals. Let them do photocopy, if they need at all.

Pralay Got Question

Pralay,

It means both the options are open while returning at POE at that moment what to use at that moment. (If he has valid H1B and AP).
Bcoz while going he has to submit just I94 (from previous H1B).
Am I right?

Lakshya said:
It means both the options are open while returning at POE at that moment what to use at that moment. (If he has valid H1B and AP).

Yes, if he has both H1 visa stamp and AP, he can use either of them.

Lakshya said:
Bcoz while going he has to submit just I94 (from previous H1B).
Am I right?

At the time of departure he has to surrender only I-94. AP is required only at the time of return flight.