Going to file AC-140 soon please help

bluegrass

Registered Users (C)
I am still waiting to receive my I-824 receipt but wanted to make sure that everything else is in place so that I can send Packet3 as soon as the receipt arrives.
Here\'s what I have so far:

DS-230 part I for myself as well as my husband
OF-169

I am assuming my lawyer will take care of the other documents such as 797 and 824 receipt
Is there anything else that I should be aware of?
Also, how will the consulate contact me for interview date? Or will they contact lawyer? Should I ask lawyer to give my email address to the consulate? how does this work? please advice.
thanks so much

Documents for AC I-140!!!

Hi,

Regarding AC I-140 following are the documents:

1.) DS-230 Part1 for both Primary applicant and spouse
2.) OF-169 for Primary applicant
3.) Complete Attorney certified packet of I-140 and Labor certificate
    filing
4.) Marriage Certificate (copy)
5.) I-140 approval notice(original)
6.) I-824 receipt (copy)
7.) Proof that you come under the jurisdiction of repective consulate
8.) Covering letter requesting interview for you and your spouse
    Also mention you email address in the covering letter.Address to
    deliver Packet 4 if you want to deliver Packet-4 at indian address

Once the consulate accepts your case they will send an email with the case number to the email addresses mentioned in the covering letter.
Once you get the case number you can expect the interview 2 months from the date you case created.Consulate will send an email once you are scheduled for an interview.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Thanks

Thanks a lot. Your post was very helpful. just one more question. What kind of proof can I show for jurisdiction?

Proof for Jurisdiction!!!

If your H1 is stamped from that consulate that would be your proof.
Also for ex: if you worked in Mumbai before coming to US, then a copy of your experience letter would work as a proof.

Regards,

No Title

My previous H1 was stamped by mumbai consulate. Current one was stamped in Washington DC. Is that ok? The address in my passport is Ahmedabad. Also I haven\'t worked in India before.

It should be OK!!!

In that case just mention in the covering letter that your original H1
is stamped in Mumbai and that\'s why you are applying for Mumbai.

PCC Required for Packet 3??

Hi CPers ,

Is PCC required for AC140 when we send the Packet3 to the consulate.
Also, copy of Birth Certificate will be a good proof to show to come under Mumbai Jurisdiction.

Thanks.

What is AC 140

My attorney is now going to file I-824 for CP in Delhi. I already have my I-140 approved. Could someone tell me at what stage does AC 140 come. All this is greek to me. Thanks

AC I-140 comes after filing for I-824

Hi,

Normal procedure to go for CP is specifying in I-140 that you will be going for Consular Processing.If you have specified that you will be doing adjustment of status while filing for I-140 then you have to apply for I-824 to convert form AOS to CP.Once you get the I-824 receipt you can send the complete Attorney certified package + Packet 3 to the respective consulate requesting for an interview.Consulate will then assign a case number for you and schedule the interview.

Note: In case of Delhi i have seen some posts where you can apply for AC I-140 even without I-824 receipt.Please check this site for the detailed posting.

Regards,

PCC - Police clearance Certificate

PCC is police clearance certifictae which you have to obtain before going for CP interview.It\'s a required doc from Feb onwards.

Regard,

AC140 is still accepted in Mumbai Consulate????

Hi Blue Grass,

Some one has put up rules on Changes on CP Process, I am now confused it AC140 is still accepted in Mumbai Consulate. Please do confirm this from someone and then send the documents. And please let us know also. Check the latest input regarding Changes in Rules for CP in the forums.

Thanks.

For Montreal it is slightly different!!!

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.For Montreal the processing is slightly different.
For Posts other than Montreal:
AC I-140 is for applicants who have selected AOS while applying for
I-140 and at later stages decides to go for Consular processing.In that case you will file for I-824 after(or) during I-140 process and send the Attorney Certified package along with the I-824 receipt to the Consulate of interest.In this case Consulate handles your case completley and there is no intervention of NVC

For Montreal:
Please refer http://www.grasmick.com/whatsnew.htm

Streamlined Montreal Consular Processing
(July 4, 2001)

Here is a State Deparment memorandum which describes unique procedures for immigrant visa processing at the U.S. Consulate in Montreal. This is a pilot project. During this test, the specialized and centralized National Visa Center will handle all paperwork up to the final consular interview. If you follow these new instructions you may substantially reduce your wait for a green card. The memo also gives a good overview of green card consular processing for Canadians:
Procedures for Processing I-140 Cases In Canada

The U.S. consulate in Montreal is the only U.S. immigrant visa processing post in Canada. Montreal is a test post for "Packet 4 processing," meaning that the National Visa Center ["NVC"] in Portsmouth NH handles all processing of the Montreal consulate\'s immigrant visa petitions up to the time of interview.

In September 2000, the Department issued guidance authorizing our consular posts overseas to process I-140 petitions in which the applicant had originally requested Adjustment of Status in the U.S., but had subsequently filed an I-824 to request overseas processing. Under these new procedures, posts abroad may process an employment-based immigrant visa on the basis of the I-797 Notice of Approval of the I-140 petition, copy of the petition, original receipt for the I-824, and proof of the applicant\'s previous residency in the consular district.

Because Montreal\'s immigrant visa processing up to interview is done at NVC rather than at post, persons wishing to process in Canada based on their previous residence there must follow procedures different from those outlined in the Department guidance. These procedures are:

If the applicant was last resident in Canada and believes that he or she is eligible for processing in Montreal, the applicant should send the following documents, in an envelope marked "I-824 Special Processing," to the National Visa Center, 32 Rochester Avenue, Portsmouth NH 03801:

Copy of the 1-797 Notice of Approval of 1-140 petition,
copy of the I-l40 petition, together with copies of the supporting documents submitted to INS at the time the petition was filed,
copy of the receipt for 1-824 request for overseas processing, and
proof of previous residence in Canada and evidence of ability to return to Canada for processing.
This proof would usually be in the form of a copy of the photo page of one\'s Canadian passport (for Canadian citizens) or a copy of one\'s Landed Immigrant form (for permanent residents). In addition, the consulate in Montreal requires that persons going to Montreal for Immigrant Visa interviews must have permission to reside in Canada for a period of at least six months from the date they submit their request for processing to NVC.

The applicant should not send original documents. However, the original I-797 notice of approval and original receipt for the 1-824 must be presented at the time of interview in Montreal.

When NVC receives these documents, it will review them to determine whether the applicant is qualified for processing in Montreal. If the applicant is qualified, NVC will send out a Packet 3 to the applicant (or attorney of record). The applicant must complete the Packet 3 and return the relevant portions to NVC. NVC will then schedule an interview for the applicant in Montreal.

If the applicant is not qualified for Montreal processing or if some of the required documentation is missing, NVC will return the package of documents to the applicant or attorney.

Where to find DS230, OF169 etc?

Hello, BlueGrass, I am in the same boat as you, with the only difference that I will go through the consulate in Switzerland.
Where can I find these forms (DS-230, OF-169, etc)?

Thanks
Cedric

No Title

Hi Cedric - are you applying AC140? did you get receipt for I824? I am still waiting for receipt. It has been more than 2 weeks now- and my lawyer says that he still hasn\'t received it. Is there a number that I can call to find out status of receipt?
Thanks

Hi Srikoka

Just a clarification on Jurisdiction...

Before moving to US, I was working in London for 2 years and my H1 was stamped in London. In that case can I opt for CP in London?? I am basically from Chennai\'s jurisdiction? I want to go for AC-140 and I know that Chennai doesn\'t accept one. Please clarify. thanks

Yes, you should be able to apply!!!

Hi Mahesh,
According to the state department memo:
A case in which the beneficiary was last resident in the country in which he is applying for visa processing is not "discretionary", but (with specific exceptions) shall be accpted by post for processing. The FAM defines "discretionary" cases as those of applicants who were not last resident in the consular district.

Please refer the following link for more info:
http://immihelp.com/gc/consular/memo.html

Also London accepts AC I-140 cases.

Regards,