Going in for Special Registration before called for

enjoys1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am from a country which is not in the list of countries whose resident's in the US have been called to appear for Special Registration. I filed my I-140/I-485 concurrently in October 2002 and was laid off in November 2002. Neither my I-140 nor I-485 have been approved yet by the INS.

But fortunately my employer laid me off giving 5 months severance pay and putting me on paid leave of absence and I am getting this severance pay regularly(every two weeks) as a paycheck. But this won't last long as I will get my last severance paycheck sometime in April 2003 from my employer.

And I am sure that my employer has neither informed INS that I have been laid off nor has cancelled my H1-B visa.

Until April 2003, I will have pay stubs and probably an employment verification letter from my employer to support me if people from my country are asked to come in and appear for special registration with the INS.

I have been trying very hard to get a job. But in vain I haven't been able to find one.

If people from my country are asked to come in and appear for special registration with the INS after April 2003 and I still don't manage to get a job, I will not be able to show current pay stubs and employment verification letter to the INS when going in for special registration.

What if I go in for special registration with the INS before April 2003 and tell them that the reason I came in for registration even though people from my country haven't been called is that I will be going to my home country and will not be returning for 4 or 5 months and what if INS calls people from my country for special registration ?.

Thanks

I don't think you can do this. For one thing, if you are going to leave the country soon, you don't have to register. Any necessary registration will be done when you re-enter. So, that excuse won't fly.