Going for stamping along with wife

umashankarnk

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have appointment in April third week.I am going along with my wife. what are the documents that need to be taken for my wife's stamping. Is the letter from employer for my wife is necessary ??

Please let me know

Thank you

Although it depends on which consulate you are going, I think you need a letter from your employer which states that she is dependent of one of our employee and give her H4 visa.

I dont think you need a letter for your wife from your employer, because there is no connection/dependency between your employer and your wife. Your wife gets a visa because of yoy (dependent on you), and if you have a valid H-1B, your wife should not have a problem.

I think you should check with the consulate you are going for interview. I went to mumbai consulate and this is what I found on their website

" I-129 (if Form I-797 is a blanket permit, copy of Form I-797 and I-129) of the Principal Applicant, and letter from employer that describes the relationship with the Principal Applicant and the purpose of travel. "

https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/ApplnForms/RulesAndFees/mumbaiReqDocs.aspx

Check with the consulate.

Need help!!

Presently i am with ABC company on H1B and my wife in india is having h4 interview in April as she could not come with me after marriage recently. Now I am changing my H1B to other company XYZ , can she still come on same H4 visa , even if i transfer my H1B.
If i wait for H1B documents after i transfer , it will take 2-3 months again and getting H4 interview date will be a problem.

Can any one suggest me , what shall i do?

I will highly appreciate if any one will help me.

God Bless u.
Thanks
DAHK

GC_Lover said:
I think you should check with the consulate you are going for interview. I went to mumbai consulate and this is what I found on their website

" I-129 (if Form I-797 is a blanket permit, copy of Form I-797 and I-129) of the Principal Applicant, and letter from employer that describes the relationship with the Principal Applicant and the purpose of travel. "

https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/ApplnForms/RulesAndFees/mumbaiReqDocs.aspx

Check with the consulate.

You are right, GC LOver. In this case, the Principal Applicant is not the wife, it is the candidate himself. So what I am saying is that Umashankar would need that letter anyways for his own stamping. There is no special letter from the employer that is needed specifically for the wife.

dahk said:
Presently i am with ABC company on H1B and my wife in india is having h4 interview in April as she could not come with me after marriage recently. Now I am changing my H1B to other company XYZ , can she still come on same H4 visa , even if i transfer my H1B.
If i wait for H1B documents after i transfer , it will take 2-3 months again and getting H4 interview date will be a problem.

Can any one suggest me , what shall i do?

I will highly appreciate if any one will help me.

God Bless u.
Thanks
DAHK

She should be able to come on her original visa stamp, but once you get new approval (797), send a copy to her, and she should carry that as well, and show it at the port of entry.

Thanks Maverik...

Thank u so much .....

Maverik, if she would be comming , before i get I-797 ,( i donot know how much time it takes ) , is that illegal. I mean can she come with out I-797?

Also i have one query about her passport , her passport doesn't have last name, only first name is there. So is that fine, even though our marriage certificate is having her both first name and last name.

Can you suggest on my second query, i will be so thankful to you.

Take care.
DAHK

Last edited by a moderator:
The website quote that is mentioned does indicate employer letter describing the relationship with the principal applicant and purpose of travel. It does not say employment relationship.
This is kind of curious. what sense does it make to ask the employer to verify someone's marriage? then what is the use of marriage certificate?
on other forums, I have seen templates of letters issued by employers verifying the marriage relationship; however, this does appear strange to me.
kool_maverik said:
You are right, GC LOver. In this case, the Principal Applicant is not the wife, it is the candidate himself. So what I am saying is that Umashankar would need that letter anyways for his own stamping. There is no special letter from the employer that is needed specifically for the wife.

kool_maverik said:

Even though its sounds for the Principal Applicant is not the wife, its a tricky. We had 3 times H4 stamped in Chennai consulate, every time my employer issued a letter to the consulate stated my wife and daughter name and purpose of their visit and how long they will need the visa (which is obviously until my H1B expiration date).

SK

I could be wrong, but I do not think that a letter from your employer mentioning your wife is needed. All you need is a letter from the employer stating his relationship to the principal candidate , which is the h1 aaplicant.

dahk said:
Thank u so much .....

Maverik, if she would be comming , before i get I-797 ,( i donot know how much time it takes ) , is that illegal. I mean can she come with out I-797?

Also i have one query about her passport , her passport doesn't have last name, only first name is there. So is that fine, even though our marriage certificate is having her both first name and last name.

Can you suggest on my second query, i will be so thankful to you.

Take care.
DAHK

I would not travel without a copy of the new 797, but ultimately I guess you have to make that choice.

For the passport, in recent times, they have been clarifying the actual last name and first name. So, to give an example, in my case, the first name and last name are not clearly spelled out on the passport. The name is written continously on the same line. A friend with a similar situation had to get it corrected from the passport office when she went for stamping at chennai. so, in anticipation of that, I sent my passport to the Indian consulate here in SFO, and had them make a note on it clearly stating that my last name is XXXX and first name is XXXX (Standard procedure - check for details on the indian consulate website). Hope this info helps.