Getting ready for AOS Interview

jess2600

Registered Users (C)
This interview came so fast or I think so. My husband and I moved into his fathers house, I thought we'd move out soon so I never changed my address on my DL. I also forgot about changing it until the Inteview date came in the mail, now I am freaking out because my DL address doesn't match my husbands. I sent in my change of address today, but don't think my new DL will get here in time. The interview is set for Aug 30th. Now the only proof we have that we are living together is the mail being addressed to where we live. Should I be really concerned? Is there anything more I can do to prove that we are living at his fathers address? Thanks for the help.

Applied for AOS at the LA District Office: March 2004
EAD and Fingerprinting: May 2004
Medical Done: Aug 2004
AOS Interview Aug 30 2004 (very quick, only 6 month wait)

Don't worry. My husband and I had our interview last week and it went fine - it was over in 10-15 minutes. We've been married for more than 2 years, so I'm sure that helped, but nevertheless this is what I'd suggest:

Don't worry about the addresses. We moved and my husband never changed his DL ID to the current state, and the officer didn't care about that, at all. She just asked us for bills and documents that show both our names. So as long as you can show at least 4, you should be fine.

Here's what we brought, hope this can serve as some suggestion: rental agreement, joint bank accounts, joint credit cards, auto insurance card and bills (including utilities, phone, etc) with both our names, life insurance naming my husband as beneficiary, emergency contact sheet from work showing my husband as my emergency contact, medical+dental insurance with both our names, costco cards, mail addressed to both of us. She wasn't interested in looking at pictures, at all.

I got a lot of helpful info both from immigrationportal.com and from this site: http://www.kamya.com/interview/aosint_2.html . Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Changing address won't be a problem at all. By the time you will be interviewed, the may ask if you move or not. In your case, just tell them the truth and they will just change the address in your application. It's not a big deal.

Interviews for marriage based petition are funny things. In my experience, a well documented case prevents lots of problems. If USCIS sees lots of evidence of a bona fide marriage in the initial filing, the case is frequently scheduled with an officer who is either inexperienced or who softballs the intervies. Also, be sure to attend the first interview that is scheduled. If you continually reschedule interviews the service suspects that you are uncertain about appearing or having some type of difficulty. Generally, people who are legitimately married take this very seriously and want to get the interview over with so they can get the GC ASAP. There are certain officers who are know for being difficult in the interviews and generally weak cases that have had the interview rescheduled are assigned to these officers. I have seen the couple separated and questioned separately. The completeness and clarity of the initial I-130 make the difference.

hey Infoseeker

What do u mean by atleat 4 in this
"Don't worry about the addresses. We moved and my husband never changed his DL ID to the current state, and the officer didn't care about that, at all. She just asked us for bills and documents that show both our names. So as long as you can show at least 4, you should be fine."

Also, I & my wife has joint credit card but when we get statements it has only my name as I am primary card holder. I talked to CC company & they said that though it is Joint, statement will have only primary card holders name.. So, how do u prove that its Joint Credit Card.

Also, I have read lot of people writing that they ask for "I-864(Affidavit Of Support)" at Interview.. what is that? As, I have submitted notarized I-864 with AOS. so, do I have to take another notarized I-864 at the time of interview?

Thank You,

Re:

In that case, probably both your credit cards have the same (account) numbers on them, but different names. Just make a copy of both and show it to the Officer - that should work.

Also, if you guys have a joint bank checking account, then probably both of your names are on the check. You might want to show a cancelled check.

From the website I mentioned earlier I gathered that 4 documents/statements with both your names would be enough to convince the officer. The address that's on the document won't matter. Just the fact that both your names are there should be enough. Good suggestions are health/dental insurance, auto insurance, mail addressed to both of you, any bills or forms. Just my 2 cents.

Affidavid of Support

Regarding the I-864 (Affidavid of Support) form - I had also submitted a notarized version with all my documents, and I just brought a copy of it to the interview. The officer had the original form on file and didn't even ask me for the copy.

My wife and I had an interview at Cherry Hill a couple of weeks ago. She would've been approved if her doctor had filled out the medical form correctly. Now we have to wait again :(

In any case, we brought copies of homeowner insurance, car insurance, health insurance, bank statement, 401(k) beneficiary letter, life insurance letter, and pictures. Regarding the credit card, only my name is on the statement, so I asked the credit card company to give me a letter saying that both my wife and I are responsible for the account.

I also filled out a new I-864 and a new letter of employment. Also, the officer asked for the G-325A forms, which I didn't have, but he said it was okay. He just asked me to re-sign and re-date the forms that he's already got. He also asked for a picture of me, the petitioner (typical immigration style, showing right ear).

No issues on the questions, he basically asked my wife how we met and the list of questions on theback of the I-485 again.

fp22 said:
My wife and I had an interview at Cherry Hill a couple of weeks ago. She would've been approved if her doctor had filled out the medical form correctly. Now we have to wait again :(

In any case, we brought copies of homeowner insurance, car insurance, health insurance, bank statement, 401(k) beneficiary letter, life insurance letter, and pictures. Regarding the credit card, only my name is on the statement, so I asked the credit card company to give me a letter saying that both my wife and I are responsible for the account.

I also filled out a new I-864 and a new letter of employment. Also, the officer asked for the G-325A forms, which I didn't have, but he said it was okay. He just asked me to re-sign and re-date the forms that he's already got. He also asked for a picture of me, the petitioner (typical immigration style, showing right ear).

No issues on the questions, he basically asked my wife how we met and the list of questions on theback of the I-485 again.

what was the problem on the medical form?

Thank you for all info.

InfoSeeker_5000 said:
Regarding the I-864 (Affidavid of Support) form - I had also submitted a notarized version with all my documents, and I just brought a copy of it to the interview. The officer had the original form on file and didn't even ask me for the copy.

Be sure to take most updated tax return, and last 3 pay stubs.

romit said:
what was the problem on the medical form?

Thank you for all info.

There are boxes on the bottom left corner that the doctor needs to check to verify that the person is "okay". My wife's doctor did not check one of them.