Getting new passport - avoid sending nat. Certificate?

e17345

Registered Users (C)
I am sceptical about sending my original copy of the Naturalization certificate to someone via US post office to get a new US passport.

Does anyone know of a way that I will not have to send an original? (I live in Atlanta, and we do not have a walk in passport office like some states)

You cannot avoid handing over your naturalization certificate for getting a passport.

If you don't want to travel to a passport agency office you don't have any other choice. Be reassured that in the majority of cases there is no problem or lost documents. You can be skeptical, but not overly skeptical. My major pet peeve about the procedure is that they staple your certificate. I think some people have been successful on sending it inside a plastic document protector and the staple only goes through the plastic. It might depend on the flexibility of the postal employee.

If you don't want to travel to a passport agency office you don't have any other choice. Be reassured that in the majority of cases there is no problem or lost documents. You can be skeptical, but not overly skeptical. My major pet peeve about the procedure is that they staple your certificate. I think some people have been successful on sending it inside a plastic document protector and the staple only goes through the plastic. It might depend on the flexibility of the postal employee.

Not just that, sometimes they even ruthlessly fold the Natz certificate - thereby permanently creasing it - if they don't have a large enough sized envelope. I know some people don't care, but most do including most passport agency employees.

Not just that, sometimes they even ruthlessly fold the Natz certificate - thereby permanently creasing it - if they don't have a large enough sized envelope. I know some people don't care, but most do including most passport agency employees.

That's why it's a good idea to bring your own envelope and have them put it inside that one.

You are being overly paranoid; a staple through one corner of your naturalization certificate is not going to destroy it.

The only reason you are probably going to use the Natz certificate, ever, is to get the US Passport. If you don't trust regular mail, you can always pay for USPS express mail both ways, and you will be able to track your Natz Certificate.

There's a way to avoid sending in your certificate is when you are on emergency travel, you must have a valid plane ticket on hand and will be traveling within a week, then you can go to those walk in agency and apply in person. In an hour or two, you will get your passport and cert back. But if you go the regular route, you must send in your cert along with the application. no way to avoid that. Once you have your passport, you can safely store your cert in a safe box. You can then use your passport to prove citizenship and do passport renewals.