Getting my Brazilian wife here

Ken27

Registered Users (C)
I got married to my Brazilian wife in Brazil on 8-25-05. When we went down to the consulate in Recife, we got the shock of our lives. They no longer process I-130 in Brazil. We were unaware of the changes that occurred the previous month in which they no longer accept these applications, unless I am a resident. I live in the US and visit her when I can.

We thought we were going to have to wait 3 months for her to get here. It has been 7 months, and we finally got approved, and I just sent in the $70 for the I-864 form. (Financial Support)

I also got a form regarding where to mail future corespondence. The letter recommended that it get mailed to me. I need to email the form and have her sign it. I am assuming that it the best way to acomplish this.

I do not forsee any problems, but am more concerned with how much longer we will have to wait until she can come to the US and live with me. (Basically the purpose of marriage)

Is there anything we can do to hurry this up? Is there anything I need to watch out for?

One of her friends said that in her interview, she was asked if her husband had sent her money. I have send much money to my wife. Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum. I have been reading it for weeks. This is much more complicated than I thought it would be. I wish it was much easier.

Ken27
Marriage in Brazil 8-26-05
I-130 approved 03-15-06
Sent $70 for I-864 3-36-06

I am asuming that you are a US citizen, right?

The time of consular processing depends on the volume of work of the Consulate. I have two Brazilian co-workers and both told me that it take for awhile, but one came through fiancee visa because they didn't want to be separate so long so they married in the US, later on they married in Brazil as well.

But well, at least they already contacted you, so I think will be a matter of few more months. I really don't have an answer unless somebody from the same area of your wife can go through the same process.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to hurry things up, just be patience.

About your concern, I think there is nothing to worry if she has all the paperwork and basis why you have been sending her money, I mean duh you are married, but anyway you know being "married in love" is not enough. In the case they ask, she should be truthful and say is to pay this and that and if she has paperwork to back up that she should be okay. That is my personal opinion, but most important is that she bring all kind of documents pictures together, with the family and friends, letters, emails, everything! Even if you can send your old airline tickets!

Good luck,

Brazilian Wife

Yes, I am a citizen.

Thanks for your help. In retrospect, the fiance visa would have been much faster, but now that we have waited 7 months, we can last another 3. I do not see many people in this forum that have had to be separated before getting their spouse into the US. Maybe it is because Brazil does not give visas to come into the US, unless they are rich or have a great job.

Why do they ask about if I sent her money? (Maybe that is not a typical question)

I am glad to hear that we may be close to being together.

To be sincere, I never heard that type of question for interview in CP cases (the ones I have heard over here). But you know, they can ask whatever. So just be prepare.

Yes, I heard the issues from Brazil is getting pretty difficult.

Good luck,

Taxes

Since we got married last year, I have a question about taxes.

Should I file as married filing separately? Or do I have to file as single because we were married in another country. SHe does not have a SSN, so I do not know how to claim her on the tax form, because it demands her SSN.

our cases are similar but the visas are diferent, my wife came through on the K-1 visa from Colombia, dont worry they have to and you are from USA and married to her,they will give her a visa, the I-130 is usually filed here because if you married her in the USA then you file I-130, if you were engaged it would have been faster to get the K-1 visas "Fiance Visa" for her
i was going to mary my wife in colombia but our attourney at the time advised against it, has your wife ever been here? the advice i a can offer
may help you its just im not sure , i think you need K-3 visa check the USCIS.gov anyway , what you need to do is apply for ITIN # individual tax ID # then you can put her on your taxes, you need to start compiling as much evidence of your marriage as possible to include, copies of E-mails,photos together in brazil,bill for wedding ring,marriage certificate, everything you can think of etc.. nad start saving this stuff, and my best advice, the day she arrives w/visa to USA file the I-485, and I-765 dont wait on this it will cause alot of time wasted ,take it from me, goodluck

we waited about 10 months for k-1 , i was lucky i was able to travel to colombia 4 times that year, but i understand what you are going through the seperation is brutal the longer you wait on AOS the longer she waits to go back for a visit that can be bad if family is in brazil