Getting married while on I-485

mshovon

Hello:

I have a friend who is has applied for I-485 (he was approved for perm res. thru political asylum). He wants to get married to someone who is already in the USA on a different non-immigrant status. Can he marry that person, and start I-485 for his wife ? What are his choices?

Thanks for your input.

-mshovon-

If someone is married at the time the asylum case is approved then that person can file for his or her family when qualified to file for I-485. If you are not married at the time your asylum was approved then until you get your permant residence or citizenship you can not file for your spouse. I know this because I married my wife after my asylum case was approved and I can not apply for her until I get my green card and I am still waiting for my green card.

Well other questions would be when did your friend actually applied for permant residence ? How long is the anticipated wait before he may get this greend card ..?

Originally posted by mshovon
Hello:

I have a friend who is has applied for I-485 (he was approved for perm res. thru political asylum). He wants to get married to someone who is already in the USA on a different non-immigrant status. Can he marry that person, and start I-485 for his wife ? What are his choices?

Thanks for your input.

-mshovon-

Yes. He is already a Lawfull Permanent Resident; therefore, he can marry her and file an Allien Relative Petition form I-130 and proceed from there. Pretty standard process, need to know that there are priorities for this type of petition involving nationality also. I believe the process will be faster when he becomes US citizen.
Everything he needs to know is in INS website.
Could you please let us know, when your friend filed his I-485, when he got it approved, passport stamping date, if he already got his GC, etc?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
According to my understanding one is NOT lawful permanent resident until your I-485 has been approved. Those of us who have applied for I-485 after a wait of one year after the asylum was approved are referred to as AAOS. (Applied for Adjustment of Status)

I had applied 1-130 for my wife but was rejected by INS in Nebraska as they could not process her case in any category as I was not qualified to apply for her because we were not married prior to my asylum approval.

(This rejection was issued in Feb 1998, If the situation or law's interperation has been changed since then then I am unaware of this development)

Originally posted by canterbury
The first message was not too clear. Has his I-485 been granted yet or is he still waiting like the rest of us?

I understood his friend is already Permanent Resident, he wrote:
"he was approved for perm res. thru political asylum" If he is a LPR yes he can marry and ask for her. Obviously, if he is not a permanent resident, he has to wait.

What about my mam

Can I apply for my mother ,who is already in the U.S with
visitors visa. I was granted asylum in 2000. and filed I-485 in
Your comments please.

Why do you think I am kidding . The purpose of this forum is to discuss the issues some of us know but some of us don't. Please understand this and don't comment on the indivdual comment on the question.
Thanks

Re: What about my mam

Originally posted by Gebre
Can I apply for my mother ,who is already in the U.S with
visitors visa. I was granted asylum in 2000. and filed I-485 in
Your comments please.

After you become a citizen.