Getting Married Tomorrow

emmaemmamamama

Registered Users (C)
Hi my boyfriend (U.S. Citizen) and I are getting married tomorrow!
And I'm preparing my forms etc. to file once we get married and I have tons of questions.

Please answer me because I'm freak out after I see all the threads in here how hard to get a green card and I'm really scared of being denied!

So I'm from Hong Kong and my boyfriend is White (born in the U.S.) and we are both college students living in Seattle.

Here's are my questions
1.) Do I have to apply for EAD and Travel Document at the same time I applied for 485?

2.) Will it process faster since my boyfriend is U.S citizen who's born here?

3.) I worked for my schools before, and I filed taxes at the first in 2005, but didn't at the second time on 2006 because I didn't work, and I worked like a month in Dec. 2006, and I should be filing taxes, is it going to affect me if I didn't file taxes in 2006?

4.) We are not having a reception or anything for our marriage because we don't have a lot of money. It's going to be extremely simple and not a ceremony, is it going to affect me? We do have a lot of pictures to show to the interviewer that we're in love, like pictures we travel to Europe etc. Is it going to help?

5.) If I live in Seattle, does that mean I send all the documents to Seattle District Office?

6.) I have applied for EAD for OPT after I graduated from comm. college but I decided I will go back to Hong Kong so I cancelled the EAD and never really went back to my college to get my permit. Is it going to affect me applying for EAD again (I was actually approved)

That's for all the questions I have for now.. i know I have a lot more.... please just tell me whatever you know!!! thanks a lot!

Congrats on getting married.
First of all, be calm, enjoy your marriage and then proceed to GC application. Please read www.uscis.gov and find I-485 package. That should contain all necessary forms you need to apply. On the form it will also state, where you should send your completed package.

Good luck.

First of all, congratulations!

1) Yes, you can apply for both at the same time you send the I485 and I130. However, if you were out of status for more than 180 days, you don't need to waste the money on the AP, as you may get banned once you leave the U.S., even with an approved AP.

2) Faster than if he were a non-citizen, yes. It's still gonna take a while.

3) You can and should still file. Given that you had little to no income you probably wont have to pay any taxes, but you are required to file, nonetheless. You should get that done as soon as possible.

4) Anything that'll show your marriage is real will help. The more the better. Evidence that you live and/or have been living together should be very helpful. A reception is not required.

5) No, Chicago lockbox as per the instructions. They will forward your application to the appropriate field office after initial processing.

6) Nope. I did the exact same thing. It might help if you have the actual card, or some evidence it was approved, as you need to provide it with your application. I send a copy of my notice-of-action for my OPT application.

The biggest problem I think you're gonna face is that your income is too low to be above the 125% poverty limit. You may need to find a co-sponsor. Nonetheless, good luck!

3) You can and should still file. Given that you had little to no income you probably wont have to pay any taxes, but you are required to file, nonetheless. You should get that done as soon as possible.
if your income was below a filing threshold, then you don't need to file taxes.

6) Nope. I did the exact same thing. It might help if you have the actual card, or some evidence it was approved, as you need to provide it with your application. I send a copy of my notice-of-action for my OPT application.
I do not recall that a copy of OPT EAD is required at any time for filing of AOS package. Can you please point out where it says you need to submit it with your application?

The biggest problem I think you're gonna face is that your income is too low to be above the 125% poverty limit. You may need to find a co-sponsor.
she never stated what her husband's income is, so we can't really guess whether it's lower than 125% of poverty limit or not.

I do not recall that a copy of OPT EAD is required at any time for filing of AOS package. Can you please point out where it says you need to submit it with your application?

Not for the AOS package, but question 11 on I-765 asks "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS? If yes, complete below. - Which USCIS office? Date(s) -- Results (Granted or Denied - attach all documentation)". So, it's not required to have it, but it is relevant to the EAD application.

she never stated what her husband's income is, so we can't really guess whether it's lower than 125% of poverty limit or not.

No, that was a guess on my part based on her statements that they are both students, and don't have much money for a reception. A friend of mine was in a similar situation (both students), and he had to get a co-sponsor.

Hi, thank you all for your replies!!

Well, my boyfriend is working part-time like 13 hours a week and get paid like $13 an hour. and once I graduated in June this year, I will have a job as well. So what's the min. income we should have? (is it the income as-is the day I apply or the day I have the interview .... or ..??)

The thing that I worry the most is the EAD, can anyone tell me the approximate time to get the work permit and travel document, like GENERALLY, how long it takes for most people? and if I am offered a job but my EAD hasn't been approved yet, can I easily get a temporary permit?

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

It seems like the more I ask, the more problems I will have X(

One more questions:

When I mail the work EAD and AP together with 130 and 485, how many certified copies of our marriage certificate we need? Each form with one copy? or just one copy for the whole package?

Also, I see a lot of people talking about affidavit of support.... does everyone need it? As far as I know from websites, I need I-130 AND 485 to get a green card, can anyone advice me with my situation?

And I know throughout the process, we need to do the biometric form or something, are we supposed to do this with all the forms? or wait until we get the notice of receipt?

THANKS A LOT! Looking forward to your answer!

[

Your boyfriend does not make enough to met the quidelines. You will need a co-sponsor. You also need to research things more before you do anything this more.

Sponsor's Household Size ..........125% Poverty Line
2 persons.......................................... 16,500
3persons ............................................ 20,750

up to 90 days to get EAD
120 days to get AP (Advanced Parole) to travel.
No you can't work legally without EAD. :eek: You have to wait till you get it.