getting married to a J-1 Visa holder

jocata

Registered Users (C)
My ex-wife and I are seperated and the divorce will be finished soon.
Just before we split up late last year my ex and I got an aupair from Colombia to help us with our kids. She is here on a 1 year J-1 visa.
Recently I have fallen in love with her and I'm thinking about getting married to her. She can extend the J-1 visa for an additional year so I think this gives us plenty of time to know each other better and possibly getting married next year.

My questions/worries:
- Would they look at this as immigration fraud if we are already talking about marriage but she extends her J-1 ?
- Is this going to be a difficult case? I mean I (together with my ex) was the one to bring her to this county. Now if I marry her is going to cause problems or look fishy?

Thanks

Are you a US citizen? Or at least a permanent resident? Did you gain your green card through being married to your soon-to-be ex-wife? If yes, how long ago did you obtain your green card?

Were the children born to both you and your soon-to-be-ex? Are you also from Colombia?

Your answers to the above questions will affect if and when you can sponsor that new girl, and whether a marriage to her would invite extra suspicion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a U.S. citizen. I came to the U.S. in 2000 due to marriage to my soon ex. I got a green card in 2001, I naturalized 2 years ago. My ex and I were married over 10 years. I'm not from Colombia, I'm from Europe.
Yes, the children are born to my ex and I.

I'm a U.S. citizen. I came to the U.S. in 2000 due to marriage to my soon ex. I got a green card in 2001, I naturalized 2 years ago. My ex and I were married over 10 years. I'm not from Colombia, I'm from Europe.
Yes, the children are born to my ex and I.

I admire your ability to move forward so quickly to a new love. What this hot nanny the reason for the end in your marriage of 10 years? You can help her get her J1 visa extended to continue to be a dual nanny (kids and you...lol) and see if you can work things out in the short-term with your ex-wife. It might be a good idea to wait for about a year before you enter into another marital union, once you have been bitten by a marriage bug, you never want to be alone, but the marriage bug can detrimental to discovery of self. On the immigration side, be prepared for a war with USCIS, primarily because you came here on the basis of marriage to another woman, but now, you will be the sponsor of the woman. I believe there is a waiting period before you can petition an immigrant, and will search for it and put it up.

Jack or Bob can you please put it up. I know we have it someone on this forum.

The aupair had nothing to do with my ex and I seperating. We had marriage problem all of last year and the decision to seperate was made before she even got here!
There is nothing to be worked out between my ex and I. We are on good terms and agree on everything, we are actually doing an uncontested divorce! She has no problem with the fact that I'm with that girl, she is seing someone else too! We are on really good terms!
I came here more than 10 years ago and I don't see how USCIS could hold that against us.

It looks suspicious on papers if you re-marry right after divorce, both for immigration purpose, and as you said, you both had relationship with others even before filing divorce. And you KNOW it, because you're already worried that they it'd take this as a fraud. Not that "I don't see how USCIS could hold that against us".

Yes, that's what I was worried about this it might look suspicous on paper, however we only had relationships AFTER we seperated.
Also I do not plan on marrying right after the divorce. The divorce should be final before this year is over or at the latest in January.
I don't plan on getting married to her before end of June or so. So there will be at least 6 months in between which I realize is not that long.
That's why we need to extend her J-1 so she can legally stay here until that time.

You should be OK, given the length of your first marriage, the fact that you had children with the spouse who sponsored your GC, and the length of time since your GC was approved. But be prepared to defend your position, such as proving the length of the marriage and having the children's birth certificates at the interview.

The classic chain-marriage fraud case is where there is a foreign couple who both want to live in the USA, so one of them goes to the US on tourist/student/work visa and finds a US citizen to marry. The US citizen may be part of the scam, or they may be unaware of the immigrant's true intentions. Then through that US citizen, they obtain a green card and citizenship, divorce the USC spouse, followed by marrying and sponsoring the original foreigner they had a relationship with.

As a result of situations like that, there is a ban on sponsoring a spouse for the first 5 years after you obtained your green card through marriage. And even beyond the 5 years, the interviewer may get extra suspicious if the marriage to the USC was short, and/or there are indicators that you already knew the new spouse years ago when you didn't have a GC yet -- indicators such as if the new spouse comes from the same city and country as you.

The aupair had nothing to do with my ex and I seperating. We had marriage problem all of last year and the decision to seperate was made before she even got here!
There is nothing to be worked out between my ex and I. We are on good terms and agree on everything, we are actually doing an uncontested divorce! She has no problem with the fact that I'm with that girl, she is seing someone else too! We are on really good terms!
I came here more than 10 years ago and I don't see how USCIS could hold that against us.

You misunderstood my point regarding working out things between you and spouse, I meant the issues of children custody and so forth, NOT that you should rekindle the fire with her. You clearly have good relations with her and she has no problem with you sharing the sheet with the nanny.

What you fail to foresee is the trouble on the horizon from USCIS, especially the idea that after you divorced your wife, you entered into a holy matrimony with the nanny, who happen to have a J1 visa, whom you now want to sponsor for a green card. Be prepared to show your case has no stench of immorality contained in it....lol!!! USCIS will certainly have vested interest in the divorce papers, they usually prefers to see the original documentation to make sure nothing nefarious was involved. Since the nanny is now your a future-wife-in-waiting, she has a J1 visa and you might be successful in extending her visa for another year, why don't you cool off this marriage business with her for a year, to just avoid the scrutiny of USCIS? Since this is a free country, you are free to marry her the day your divorce is finalized and file for a green card for her on that same day, but be prepared for a long interrogation from USCIS. It is possible USCIS might suspect this nanny to have been responsible for breaking up your marriage, regardless of the fact that they (USCIS) are not in the business of marriage. I wonder how you plan to answer the question, "How did you meet?" Oh...she was my nanny and my wife and I were having problems, we (wife and myself), separated and I woke-up one day to find that I am in love with my nanny? Dude, if you don't see the danger lurking here with your case, please go ahead, but do let us know the progress. I am trying to save your behind from the lake of fire, but the freedom do what pleases us, but doesn't infringe on others is what made this country what it is, America.

Why don't you successfully renew her visa for another year, a month prior to her next visa extension expiration, you marry her and file the paperwork? I mean, you aren't sexually starved or lack of affection, she is there in your home, why the rush? In the interim, you should integrate into your family's business, utilities, car insurance (especially if she drives the kids), and other documentation to ensure that your case (once filed), has a strength of a couple who married each other for love. On a side note, IMO, you have another thing coming your way down the line...lol!!!!

USCIS won't hold it against you, they will just torture you with a burden of proof. However, I wish you all the success in this case, it should be exciting adventure for both you two.