Getting married to a girl in India when I am having GC

dharmender

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I got my Green card approved in May 2007 after GC interview (still waiting for plastic card). My divorce is in process and I want to marry a girl in India.
I guess there are very limited choices for her to enter to USA.
Here are my questions:

1.What are all possible options like student visa or any other visa etc. for girl to enter USA?

2.I am in 8 yr extension of H1B (valid still June 2008). If i give up my Green card, will i be able to continue working on same H1B? I am ready to surrender my GC if i can get back to H1B and then bring her to USA on H4.

3.I had filed total 3 GC applications till now. First one was filed in Oct 2001 and labor is not clear yet. Second one filed in Jan 2006 thru PERM and labor approved but I did not proceed after that. Finally i got substitute labor through which I got my GC.Since I got GC approved, are previous GC applciations automatically cancelled? If not, can i use those applications for the basis to extend by existing H1B?

4.Girl might be able to get L1 visa thru her employer(but remote chances). If i file for her GC when she is on L1, how much time might it take to get GC approved for her? I heard for many people that GC for L1 holder took just few months only. How is GC processing for L1 different from GC processing for H1?

Basically i am looking for any means to get that girl here in USA. Any suggestions please?

Thank you very much for all your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused - do you currently have a GC? :confused:
If so, why all the discussion about your (probably canceled) H1B?

An LPR sponsoring an Indian spouse would be F2A category (June 2002), so approx 5+ years wait.

She could perhaps enter as a student on an F1, but she'd better get this done before you get married or else it will be difficult (impossible?) to show non-immigrant intent.

L1 is always possible if you work for the right company and have sufficient education/experience.

H1B is also possible, but there is a very small pool of available visas and far too many applicants these days.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, i have GC. I am talking about giving up GC because i am ready to surrender my GC (as long as i have H1B to maintain my status) if that helps to bring that girl to USA. I am thinking that i can surrender my GC so that i go back to H1B and i can bring her to H4 and then I can continue with my current H1B. Please let me know if you can suggest anything for this scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response.

Yes, i have GC. I am talking about giving up GC because i am ready to surrender my GC (as long as i have H1B to maintain my status) if that helps to bring that girl to USA. I am thinking that i can surrender my GC so that i go back to H1B and i can bring her to H4 and then I can continue with my current H1B. Please let me know if you can suggest anything for this scenario.

Ah, I see... but you might want to think again.

So far as I know (and I'm prepared to be corrected on this point) once you get a GC, all previous visas are canceled. If you give up your GC you will have no visa and therefore no route back into the US.