Getting Married in 2 days , please help

handxx

Registered Users (C)
Hi

As you can read the title , I am getting married to my gf in 2 days. I am a USC and my gf is staying here with J1 visa. She has been here for 2 years and she is in her grace period right now.

We talked to an immigration attorney and the attornery told us that If I marry her , she will be fine and I can apply for a green card for her.. Currently, we are leaving in different places so the attorney advised us to live together. Since everything happened so quickly, we are a little bit unprepared.

Attonery told us to rent a place together , put our names on the lease. Open joint bank account, credit cards.Put my gf under my car and health insurance and etc.

We are currently looking for a space to rent together. So my question is , if we send our documents little bit late maybe in 1 -2 months , after we settle down for the house and other things, can it be a big problem ? I would like to rent our place first, open accounts and other things and then send our forms. Do you guys think it can be suspicious during the interview ?

It will be suspicious if you don't establish those things together ASAP. They don't expect you to live together before getting married, but they expect you to do so very soon after the wedding.

I presume she is not subject to the 2-year home country requirement, or has received a waiver.

same here, J1, my wife USC, waiting for GC since late 2005, two interviews behind. My impression - they dont like those J1 visas. Heard about lots of Russian girls coming on student visa and marry for green card, so USCIS is careful, and that make sense.

They never asked us why we start getting joint accounts, leases, taxes, etc after we married, but my opinion is they looked very carefuly through everything we submitted since being married.

be careful on that two year rule! some european countries have it. your girlfriend (wife by now) passport should say "NOT A SUBJECT OF 2 YEARS RULE. 2 YEARS RULE DOES NOT APPLY". Weird, but if she is a subject to two year rule, there is no way of both of you staying here and being married. Your wife HAS TO go home and stay for 2 years -- I assume you want to go with her.