getting F1 after h1 expires

Yes, with a caveat...

Yes. The caveat is if you are filing for immigration (green card) then that application would be in jeopardy as the F-1 is a nonimmigrant status that (unlike H-1) does not permit dual intent.

No Title

Once F1 is obtained (assuming no GC is filed), then does the 6-yr on H1-B resets i.e. next H1-B would begin with fresh deadline of 6 yrs? I appreciate all help.

refresh H-1

shouldn\'t one leave the US for one yr to get a fresh quota of 6 yrs? mere chanign of status may not help. any comments?

F1 after H1

ysami,

Be careful.... you need to show 2 or 3 things for a successful F1...

1. You intend to return to your home country - this can be demostrated by showing that there is/are property(ies) in your (or spouses name), ration card, drivers license and a huge bank balance including cd\'s, fd\'s etc.

2. That you can support yourself (and family) during the time of F1. Your current bank balance, even if more than 30K will not be sufficient. You might need to take a affidavit of support from someone you know stating that they will support you and your family during F1 stage.

Ins has a strange way of doing things, they say that your income/year should be more than the current poverty income level (around 18K) for a family of 4. But if you show a bank balance of 30K they say that it is not sufficient. Hence, get an affidavit of support.

Last but not the least, you MUST be out of the country for a year, at least, to be on another H1.

Talk to your attorney - first.

Good Luck.

No Title

Lets say you got the F1 (from H1b) and your labor certification got approved.
1. Can you file for the I-140?
2. If you got the approved I-140, can you get the EAD with your I-485 app?

6 YEARS IN TOTAL?

Do the years in H1B and F1 count to the max number of 6 years? WHat if someone needs to stay one more semester for his/her Masters after the 6 years?
Thanks

H1+F1 = 6 yrs or H1-F1+H1 = 6 yrs continuously without break

Friends,

My situation is as follows

1. I have been in US from may 1998 on H1.I was in india for 3 months and 3 more months again.I was in singapore for 4 months.Does this period counts for the 6 years period.
2. If I get F1 (from H1), does my H1 6 period resets or F1 period also counts for the 6 yrs period
3. Suppose F1 period is not counted , then if i get new H1 ( i have to go outside US for stamping),is that like new 6 yrs period or its the continuation of the old 6 yrs period..
4. Is it manadatory that after our H1 6 yrs period is completed, we shouldnt stay in US for one yr even we want to be on F1 or on a new H1 or H4 or if we marry Green card holder

Thanks in advance

status of H1 after 4yrs and F1

Friends,
My situation is as follows

1. I have been in US from may 1998 on H1.I was in india for 3 months and 3 more months again.I was in singapore for 4 months.Does this period counts for the 6 years period.
2. If I get F1 (from H1), does my H1 6 period resets or F1 period also counts for the 6 yrs period
3. Suppose F1 period is not counted , then if i get new H1 ( i have to go outside US for stamping),is that like new 6 yrs period or its the continuation of the old 6 yrs period..
4. Is it manadatory that after our H1 6 yrs period is completed, we shouldnt stay in US for one yr even we want to be on F1 or on a new H1 or H4 or if we marry Green card holder

Thanks in advance