Getting Drivers Lic. with I-130 petition approval

conqueror

Registered Users (C)
I live in NJ and got my I-130 petition approval (Unmarried child over 21). But it say I need to apply for an immigrant Visa. Lawyer said I can't do anything for a few yeas, just wait. Which I think is crazy, maybe I can file for a work permit so that I can work while waiting to apply for the immigrant visa. Also I went to the DMV in my area and they said I cannot get a lic. without SSN. But I have the approval response from INS. What should I do? I am going crazy, not able to work or drive or go to school, Aaaaaarrrgggghhhh! Please help somebody.

Thanks in advance.

Pleeeeease Help - DL need in NJ

conqueror said:
I live in NJ and got my I-130 petition approval (Unmarried child over 21). But it say I need to apply for an immigrant Visa. Lawyer said I can't do anything for a few yeas, just wait. Which I think is crazy, maybe I can file for a work permit so that I can work while waiting to apply for the immigrant visa. Also I went to the DMV in my area and they said I cannot get a lic. without SSN. But I have the approval response from INS. What should I do? I am going crazy, not able to work or drive or go to school, Aaaaaarrrgggghhhh! Please help somebody.

Thanks in advance.

You are not a child, you are an unmarried son over 21 and you are not consider an inmediate relative, that is why you need to wait for a visa number become available for you. You may want to check this link:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/childproc.htm

You should mantain a lawfull status when the visa number become available, I think your lawyer told you that, that is very important so you can adjust your status later. To get a visa number can take a long time, check the dates at the Visa bulletin on the Department of State website.

A I-130 is just a petition it really doesn't mean anything. Actually doesn't put you in any status, so you should mantain the status that you are (visitor or whatever other) and won't be unlawfully in the US. People who are in Adjustment of Status they are in authorize stay by the Attorney General.

You can ask for a work permit if you fell in one of this categories and since you are not in AOS, well...just check this:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/ead.htm

Most of DMV need a proof of your legal status in the country. For them an EAD (employment authorization document), in some the receipt notices of your AOS packet but those are very few. Since 2003, most states require proof of SSN, which you obtain it if you have an EAD card or you are in a non-immigrant visa that alouds it.

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thanks for the links. However, what do you recomend? My I-94 has expired, should I go back to my home country? Or is there something I can do in the mean time, as I don't know how long it would take for a visa numer to become available.

Thanks