General question

habibtizena

Registered Users (C)
After reading a few posts on here I think that I have made a mistake on my form I had answered no to ever having committed any crimes I did not think that a speeding ticket was a crime, but it seems like I should have answered yes, I am currently waiting an interview date. Should I send a letter explaining the situation or just wait until the interview and explain then?

Filed Nov 2004 (Texas)
FP Feb 2005 (Charlotte NC)

DO Charleston SC

Waiting...........................

habibtizena said:
After reading a few posts on here I think that I have made a mistake on my form I had answered no to ever having committed any crimes I did not think that a speeding ticket was a crime, but it seems like I should have answered yes, I am currently waiting an interview date. Should I send a letter explaining the situation or just wait until the interview and explain then?

Filed Nov 2004 (Texas)
FP Feb 2005 (Charlotte NC)

DO Charleston SC

Waiting...........................

no... traffic ticket is not a crim, but it is a citation. you just need to prepare a list of tickets which you got in past years, and the proof of fine was paid in full.

No need to do the above either. My wife and I didn't do it and neither all my friends who were naturalized recently.

Born_American said:
Don't worry. A speeding ticket is not a crime.

But lying of it can be considered perjury. Probably most of the officers do not care about speeding citations and not mentioning them in N-400. But where there is nothing criminal about getting a speeding ticket, intentionally not mentioning is a perjury.

Last edited by a moderator:
habibtizena said:

I don't think you need to worry too much about it. It's very much apparent that it's a honest mistake - and you are not going to gain anything by hiding this information. My guess is that most of the times these kind of citations won't come into the USCIS officer's radar. However, if possible, collect information/record about you citation before going to interview. If you are asked (which is unlikely), you can show the records and say that it was a honest mistake and you later realized it from immigration forum (hence you collected citation records to show). But I don't think you need to volunteer any information - neither proactively sending letter nor in interview.