GC through H1 visa?

cider_or

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,
It's off topic question but I thought may be someone from the forum know the answer.
How long does the GC process takes if choosing H1 route?

thanks

There is no such thing as the H1 route to green card. There is only the employment route to green card. You do not need to apply for a stupid H1 visa. You can go to the labor certification process directly because you are already work authorized as an asylee. Expect the process to take about two years.

Again, please do not bother applying for a H1.

Thanks Gilbert, actually i am thinking of doing this for my wife, I am trying to find out which is the quikest way to get my wife her GC, through me or just apply through employment based. if it's 2 years like you said, then I think it will be a lot better then wait for me to get GC and then apply for hers, don't you think?
my I-485 was received by INS on Dec 6th 1999.

Thanks

When were you married (before or after the IJ approved your asylum application)? What is your wife's current status?

After you finally get your GC, it takes about six years for her to immigrate.

we got married after i was granted, she has student visa right now , she is almost finished with her grad studies.

Your wife will not get any benefit when you finally receive your asylum GC. She will have to wait for 5-6 years for a visa. But if you go through the employment process, then you two will receive GC together.

So unless she wants to pursue an asylum application on her own, you should at least think about EB (maybe she can apply for EB herself and treat you as a dependent?)

Last edited by a moderator: