GC taken away by border police! What to do?

The green card is property of United States.
Do you think the border Police can seize the green card without the order from the China Government?

I dont think the greatest China wants to have some problems with the United States!

However maybe I am wrong, I dont believe this stroy!

The green card is property of United States.
Do you think the border Police can seize the green card without the order from the China Government?

I dont think the greatest China wants to have some problems with the United States!

However maybe I am wrong, I dont believe this stroy!

If they can jail a U.S Citizen for being a spy..they can do anything.

I

Yes!! Border police IS the government.

As a matter of fact LPRs of Chinese heritage have had their green cards seized by local Chinese officials who are not part of the public security system if the LPRs step on the wrong toes and get into business disputes with people in China (meaning this has nothing to do with applying for asylum overseas; just "normal" lprs doing business in China.). This is done without express sanction from the central authority in Beijing and the local officials get away with it. I would think the border police force have more power than mere local cadres. You can google the overseas Chinese press for archived stories.

The person gave the GC to the border inspector for examination and they decided that the person needed to be investigated further (for his conduct overseas). Taking away the green card makes sure that he cannot leave China until higher ups decide what to do with the person. If you were in the shoes of the Chinese border police it seems a reasonable step. Even the U.S. government confiscates foreign citizenship documents when it wants to prevent a foreign person from leaving the U.S. --the caveat is of course the DHS has to act within the law whereas in China you cannot challenge a decision before a neutral decision-maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what they would do to your cousin as he is dealing with thugs.

When Chinese asylees request passports from the consulates HERE IN THE UNITED STATES, the consulates require them to sign a statement saying that their asylum cases were fabricated and you did it only to get GCs. Amazingly lots of people actually signed.

Maybe he has to sign something like that to leave China (he could always argue that his signature was coerced).

Why would not your cousin go to the third country to avoid showing Green card at the Chinise border in the first place? China is very complicated country and any one who lived with communist regime understand that.

Soviet Union was much worse thou.

This is just my opinion:

I really dont have sympathy for the ex-asylee that his GC was taken away in China. If you have requested asylum, being granted, and get a GC... and then you go back to your COP... you are taking chances...specialy in China, that its all known that its conditions have not changed.

The individual knew that China still as it was before he was granted asylum, and with that knowledge he still took the risk...therefore those are the consequences... thats all...

This is just my opinion:

I really dont have sympathy for the ex-asylee that his GC was taken away in China. If you have requested asylum, being granted, and get a GC... and then you go back to your COP... you are taking chances...specialy in China, that its all known that its conditions have not changed.

The individual knew that China still as it was before he was granted asylum, and with that knowledge he still took the risk...therefore those are the consequences... thats all...

Yes this is JUST DESSERT.

Since your cousin is A07, he may argue his spouse is not a Chinese citizen. Even though his spouse is Chinese, I don't see anything wrong with A07 travelling to COP at all. A07 and A08 are based on family reunion, not political prosecution.

I'm surprised to see some people showed little sympathy but cynicism.

btw, this is the first time I heard A07 could be detained at COP, even in an unresonable country like China.
It would be great if GREATWALL could elaborate a bit to clear my doubt.

Since your cousin is A07, he may argue his spouse is not a Chinese citizen. Even though his spouse is Chinese, I don't see anything wrong with A07 travelling to COP at all. A07 and A08 are based on family reunion, not political prosecution.

I'm surprised to see some people showed little sympathy but cynicism.

Asylum was granted in 1999 (when the 10K cap was in force) and green card was issued in early 2005.

Country of persecution is mainland China.

Hey greatwall,
Do you make up this story? It sounds like very strange. If your cousin's asylum status was granted in 1999 and GC was issued in 2005, your cousin's NP must be expired long time ago. So how did he get his new NP? Did he pay $1000 and buy a fake one? If he got his new NP from consular office, how come the border police take his GC away? It seems some critical thing is hiden.

I don't understand why your friend went back to a country that he fears persecution from? especially without any travel authorization and using a national passport for the country is even more baffling? Any feedback?

Hey greatwall,
Do you make up this story? It sounds like very strange. If your cousin's asylum status was granted in 1999 and GC was issued in 2005, your cousin's NP must be expired long time ago. So how did he get his new NP? Did he pay $1000 and buy a fake one? If he got his new NP from consular office, how come the border police take his GC away? It seems some critical thing is hiden.

You don't need face to official to gain a NP before 2007. You just need a form, a picture and some money and let Agent help you.

You don't need face to official to gain a NP before 2007. You just need a form, a picture and some money and let Agent help you.

Noocar is too quick to accuse people of making up stories.

You did not need to show up in person before this year. Even now they will renew your passport if you sign statement admitting to them that your asylum story was false. They have a live and let live approach. The police back in China are more harsh.

Perhaps when he renewed the passport he just showed them the RTD.

At least one person said that the embassy did not even ask for US immigration documents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why your friend went back to a country that he fears persecution from? especially without any travel authorization and using a national passport for the country is even more baffling? Any feedback?

Yes that is the one million dollar question.

Well this board is for U.S Asylum not Chinese repression. sorry about your cousin but he is f%#$ed!

My experience of reading this forum for many years tells me do not be too serious to a story posted by a user who just registered in.

Thats' beyond our imagination.

So, to find a way to Hongkong is good idea!

Going to HK is easier said than done. You need to clear mainland customs before you get into HK, right? Well if the person can pay someone to smuggle him into Hong Kong, then it might be a viable option.