GC Status

Leo_Strauss

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I had asked a question a while back about my marriage and green card through it. Well I have yet another question to ask, so here goes nothing.

A little background -
Me: Married for over 2 years, got my conditional GC a few months ago, marriage has been rocky for a while.

Question -
If I file for divorce, what are my chances of getting the conditions removed from my GC?
Is it possible to transfer my status to any other visa, student, H1 etc? If so, does it mean no more GC for me?

Thanks in advance.

The moment your divorce is finalised, you need to file I-751. As long as you can convince USCIS that the marriage was entered into with good faith, you will be allowed to retain your PR status.

If I file for divorce, what are my chances of getting the conditions removed from my GC?
Is it possible to transfer my status to any other visa, student, H1 etc? If so, does it mean no more GC for me?

I understand what you are saying, but I was told by an immigration lawyer that the moment I initiate the divorce proceedings, I can kiss my GC goodbye. I am not so sure about this. And I have another reason to ask this, as I am in the process of switchings jobs as well. Should I go with H1 instead of GC, would that make any sense?

Thanks again!

The moment your divorce is finalised, you need to file I-751. As long as you can convince USCIS that the marriage was entered into with good faith, you will be allowed to retain your PR status.

Personally I would doubt the competency of such a lawyer who said that. This is my personal opinion, so take it as such.

I understand what you are saying, but I was told by an immigration lawyer that the moment I initiate the divorce proceedings, I can kiss my GC goodbye.