GC Stamping & Canadian Immigration Approval - What do I do?

Vikramaditya

Registered Users (C)
Immigration Gurus,

I’m facing a problem of abundance and would sincerely appreciate your insights. I’m posting this message in both the US and Canadian Immigration forums, so please excuse the double posting.
My I-485 has been approved around 3 weeks ago, and I’ve had my passport stamped since. I’m currently waiting on my physical card. I had also applied for immigration to Canada while my green card was in progress, as a standby. Yesterday I received a letter from the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo, informing me that my processing was complete, and asking me to send my passport for the Visa stamping to enter Canada. You could argue that I don’t really need Canadian residency since my green card is done, but I’d like to hold on to it at least till I receive my physical card (I’m rather paranoid….).

My questions are as follows:
1) Can a person maintain both US and Canadian permanent residency at the same time? From this forum, I get the impression this is not possible. Is this correct?
2) Will the Canadian consulate even stamp my passport with the Visa if they see the I-551 stamp? Will their stamping invalidate my green card in any way?
3) Do I need to send my passport right away for Canadian consulate stamping? Can I wait for a month or two till I get my Green Card in hand, and then decide to keep or abandon the Canadian application?
4) When am I considered a Canadian permanent resident? After the visa is issued, or after I enter Canada with the Visa and undergo processing?
5) When do I have to decide which permanent residency to give up? Right at this point, or at the time of re-entry into the US with a Canadian Permanent residency stamp (or whatever the process on entering Canada is), or at a certain point after that?

Many Thanks.. :confused:

Vikramaditya said:
Immigration Gurus,

I’m facing a problem of abundance and would sincerely appreciate your insights. I’m posting this message in both the US and Canadian Immigration forums, so please excuse the double posting.
My I-485 has been approved around 3 weeks ago, and I’ve had my passport stamped since. I’m currently waiting on my physical card. I had also applied for immigration to Canada while my green card was in progress, as a standby. Yesterday I received a letter from the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo, informing me that my processing was complete, and asking me to send my passport for the Visa stamping to enter Canada. You could argue that I don’t really need Canadian residency since my green card is done, but I’d like to hold on to it at least till I receive my physical card (I’m rather paranoid….).

1) Can a person maintain both US and Canadian permanent residency at the same time? From this forum, I get the impression this is not possible. Is this correct?
2) Will the Canadian consulate even stamp my passport with the Visa if they see the I-551 stamp? Will their stamping invalidate my green card in any way?
3) Do I need to send my passport right away for Canadian consulate stamping? Can I wait for a month or two till I get my Green Card in hand, and then decide to keep or abandon the Canadian application?
4) When am I considered a Canadian permanent resident? After the visa is issued, or after I enter Canada with the Visa and undergo processing?
5) When do I have to decide which permanent residency to give up? Right at this point, or at the time of re-entry into the US with a Canadian Permanent residency stamp (or whatever the process on entering Canada is), or at a certain point after that?

Many Thanks.. :confused:

I hope you got your answers. Cant answer your questions but all i can say

is that I envy your situation :)

Cheers !

inqsit

Immigration Gurus,

I believe you can however Canada has residency requirement for 2 yrs in 5 yr window and US is 6 months every yr I believe

Not sure on this

You have 60 days usually from the time you get the request to send the passport

Technically you are there once the passport is stamped however if you dont land within one yr of the medicals expiring or passport whichever comes first you will lose your PR. Once you land you are officially a PR as long as the residency requirements are met

Not sure but I believe there were older posts on this

srini88 said:
Immigration Gurus,

Excused :)

One PR or GC has no effect at all on the other.. So go ahead and get both

Yes You can. provided you fulfill the minimum stay requirements of both countries, whic I think would be practically difficult

No effect of One GC/PR on the other

You have 60 days usually from the time you get the request to send the passport

Technically you are there once the passport is stamped however if you dont land within one yr of the medicals expiring or passport whichever comes first you will lose your PR. Once you land you are officially a PR as long as the residency requirements are met

You can keep both as long as you meet the requirements of both

We just got Canadian GC visa after 10 days of US GC stamp and I believe the rest of you Q have been answered

Vikramaditya,

Did you land in Canada finally? Did the U.S. port of entry officer give you any trouble on re-entry after landing? Did they question you on seeing the Canada PR sticker on your passport?

Have you made any international trips subsequently? Any problems on entering the U.S.?

Thanks.

Simulpr