GC Renewal upon turning 14

dl1cd

Registered Users (C)
My kid turned 14. I applied via I-90 for a renewal of her GC. The GC expiration date is more than 2 years away and when she turns 16, the expiration date would still not have arrived.

USCIS site says "apply within 30 days of turning 14" and there are no fees associated with this renewal in that case. From other threads, I have seen people sending (a) biometrics fees alone and getting rejected (b) application and biometrics fees both and getting rejected (c) no fees and getting rejected.

Well, I sent my application a couple days late (beyond the 30 days) and it actually got registered in the system 40 days after her birth day. Today, I got a rejection letter with the following reason:

"The check amount is not correct or has not been provided" .. and
"The reason requires the applicant to have reached their 14th birthday .. and the current card will expire before their 16th birthday. Furthermore, applicants must file the Form I-90, within 30 days of reaching their 14th birthday. Our records show the applicant either had not filed within 30 days of reaching his/her 14th birthday, or the current card expired after the applicant's 16th birthday"

In my case, both of the conditions are true -

> Did not file within 30 days
> Card expires after the 16th birthday

Suggestions on what to do next? The letter goes on "you can resubmit the application" ... and the question is how to do it correctly?

As you observed, whatever you do they will reject it. Just let her keep using the card as it is, and try to become a citizen soon so she will in turn become a citizen and won't need to worry about the green card.

... and I see lots of similar cases

Thanks, JoL - I see the same signs elsewhere too. I was going to re-apply, this time with 2 checks, one for the fee and one for the biometrics, with a plainly written request to accept one or both the checks and process the I-90. Essentially - PLEASE take the money and do what is needed.

But it looks like that approach too has been tried out and with the same result. I really would like to understand the logic behind this. For now, I am going to keep this notice with me for any future needs.

BTW - I asked my immigration lawyer also. She said "Read the instructions carefully and apply. If you need consultation from us, we charge $250 an hour". Hmm .. and YMMV?

Hi, I have couple of questions about this GC renewal upon turning 14. My Daughter just reached 14 years, I have 20 more days to apply the I-90. I have applied just before 1 week turning to 14, and the application got rejected, saying she did not turn to 14, please reapply.

Now I have questions: If she is under 14, So I can sign the application, But now she is 14 years and 5 days. So legally she has to sign as the applicant.
Question 1. Is she eligible to apply this application herself? If she is not eligible, Where should I sign and what should I send. Am I eligible do fill the part 6.

Part 6: Signature of Person Preparing Form, If Other Than Above ( Sign below )

I declare that I prepared this application at the request of the above person, and it is based on all information of which I have knowledge.

Note : If you are an attorney or representative, you must submit a complemted Form G-28 alon with this application.

Can you suggest me what will be values for all this section Part 6:

Question 2: they said correct the mistakes and send it back also,
at Part 2 question 4 application US mailing address as I mentioned as
Apt, Suit, or Floor
Apt C
We are living in Apt.

Question 3 . part 2 question 9 : City/Town/Village of Birth
VANASTHALIPURAM/HAYATH NAGAR Is this valid? or do I need to write just VANASTHALIPURAM?

Question 4. And also She does not have last name, Do I need leave as blank of write as NONE?

Please suggest me as soon as possible.
Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: