GC lost in mail :(

GC_GC1

Registered Users (C)
Friends,
Can anyone help me on this matter?
On March 25th 2008 my wife and I got our welcome notices. On 28th march, we got e-mails that our approval notices have been mailed. However, even after 60 days when we did not get our GCs, upon inquiry, I got a mail that the GCs were lost in mail and I should apply for replacement cards. On June 4th I applied for replacement of cards using form I-90. However, there was no reply to it. On July 17th, when my wife and I talked to the customer service representative, she said she would mail us new cards and gave us some ref #s. She asked us to wait for 45 days.
Have anyone of you experienced this situation? Kindly suggest what can I do?
Thanks as always,
GC_GC1.

Yeah, my wife faced similar situation three years ago. She had to get a temporary I551 stamp after approval for travelling purposes. Still, she had to file I90 with "card stolen/lost" option and got her card within three months.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

Friends,
Can anyone help me on this matter?
On March 25th 2008 my wife and I got our welcome notices. On 28th march, we got e-mails that our approval notices have been mailed. However, even after 60 days when we did not get our GCs, upon inquiry, I got a mail that the GCs were lost in mail and I should apply for replacement cards. On June 4th I applied for replacement of cards using form I-90. However, there was no reply to it. On July 17th, when my wife and I talked to the customer service representative, she said she would mail us new cards and gave us some ref #s. She asked us to wait for 45 days.
Have anyone of you experienced this situation? Kindly suggest what can I do?
Thanks as always,
GC_GC1.

Thanks. Can I ask a supplemental question too? What would I need to do if I wanted to change jobs and did not have the physical green card? Will a temporary 1551 stamp suffice?

Last edited by a moderator:
That should be more than enough. That should be enough for travel too.

Thanks. Can I ask a supplemental question too? What would I need to do if I wanted to change jobs and did not have the physical green card? Will a temporary 1551 stamp suffice?

I am also in the same situation.

I got my welcome notice on May 10th 2008 and my card has been mailed. But I did not recieve my card and I had called the USCIS to verify the same. They said that the the card has not returned undelivered, so it must have been lost. After confirming with my company that they haven't recieved it, I filed a I-90 under category B (B- My authorized card was never received) on July 01 2008 and it has been delivered to the Texas Service center(I had tracked it). But I did not recieve any reciept till now.

When I called customer support, they told me that we do not get recepit notice for this category ( Category 'B' – Card never received) and will get the new card in next six months.

Meanwhile i scheduled an Infopass appointment and I went to local office today for getting my passport stamped but they told me that I should have my I90 receipt number to get my passport stamped. I am not sure if that is the right procedure. In addition, she advised me to file in category A and not in B.

A- My card was lost, stolen or destroyed.
B- My authorized card was never received

I am not sure why I should file I90 again with option A when I never recieved my card. What should I do now?

I am really confused. Please help me.

With A you have to pay for it, B you don't. So they will want to you pick A because they want the money!

Also, this is in the I-90 instructions:
If you are filing only because you never received your card. However, if the card was sent to the address provided and never returned to USCIS, your application will be rejected. You must file another Form I-90 application and on the first page of the form under Application type., Number 2, Reason for application, check box a that states: My card was lost, stolen or destroyed. Include both application and biometrics fees with your form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too got an e-mail stating that I should apply under "card lost or stolen" option. However, when I spoke to the customer service agent, I was asked to apply under "card never received". I applied under latter category and no reply. However, I called the customer service again 1 month after sending I-90, the customer service agent told me she will arrange to send me a replacement card and asked me to wait 45 days. She gave me and my wife a ticket number. After the 45 days wait, I shall call the customer service agent again. I shall keep y'all posted on the details and travails!

Hi all,
I spoke to the customer service agent ~45 days after the stipulated time. I was told that our cases were handed over to an officer 30 days after I spoke to them last time. Now I have to wait for a month to pass after the officer has taken over our cases to hear from them. We could either receive the approval notice (the physical green card) or further instructions! :(

I-90 e-filed

GC_GC1
can you post any update on your I-90 PLEASE

I finally received a letter from USCIS asking me to pay $370 and file under "b" - card lost,stolen or destroyed. I did that on 22nd sep and got a notice of receipt on 25th of this month.
I guess I have to wait. I hope things move fast as I plan to go on vacation out of the US in December!

I finally received a letter from USCIS asking me to pay $370 and file under "b" - card lost,stolen or destroyed. I did that on 22nd sep and got a notice of receipt on 25th of this month.
I guess I have to wait. I hope things move fast as I plan to go on vacation out of the US in December!
Take the receipt and go for an Infopass appointment. They will give you the I-551 stamp in your passport so you can travel without the physical green card.

Finally on 10/08/08 we went for our biometrics. We had infopass for the same day too. Even before I got to the infopass time, the person taking biometrics asked us to go to the information counter to get our passports stamped for temporary I-551. We got the passports stamped. On 10/10/08 new cards were ordered for us and there was a LUD on 10/13/08.
Hopefully we do not lose the cards this time!
My advise to all regarding cards lost in mail is not to waste time but pay up the money and get replacement cards! It is not worth the worry.
Shall keep you all posted with the progress.

Re:

Hi GC_GC1, have you received yourca cards? Asking because I am in a similar situation -- have approved 485, but cards are not ordered for some reason. I went for biometrics on the same day as you, but still no "cards ordeed" email.

Hi doc!
I got a I-797 that our case is being processed. On 15th october, there was update on case status online that cards have been ordered. I am not getting e-mails for some reason. Today's update is that approval notice has been mailed.
I do not know if it means the physical GC has been mailed or not.
I am praying that I get it at least this time and not have to pay money once again.
Wish you all the best.
GC_GC1

Hi GC_GC1, have you received yourca cards? Asking because I am in a similar situation -- have approved 485, but cards are not ordered for some reason. I went for biometrics on the same day as you, but still no "cards ordeed" email.

Today we received our green cards! Yes, the reverse side has green tinge to it! I checked them for any errors, but luckily there were none.
I benefitted from this forum immensely. I got the idea to appeal to the Vice President, local senator from this forum. I also found out from this forum information that helped me support my appeals to the senator, which finally resulted in the green card being expedited.
In my case, my name was stuck in FBI for name check for almost 2 and half years. I read in this forum that those cases stuck for name check for more than 6 months would be approved. I sent copies of the article and another appeal to the senator. It helped and immediately our cards were approved. That the cards were lost in mail is another story!
Thank God all the ordeal is over.
I wish you all the very best.