GC & Job

srikanthsiva

Registered Users (C)
I obtained my GC in August 05. I am thinking of leaving my job in May 06, going home for 1 month and returning to look for a new job, which may take 1-2 months after that.

Will this cause a problem on re-entry if the officer asks if i am employed with company X which sponsored my GC? Can one be jobless after getting GC?

I am not sure what to say in this case.

But you can do as follows:

Instead of quitting before vacation, You take a month vacation (if not available, take loss of pay vacation) , go home, have fun, come back to US (you are still employed) and then quit your employer. No issues, right?

*** Question ***

I have a question that I would like your help with, I currently work for a large software company. I have been with the company since September 2000. My employer started my permanent residency process in March 2001. My spouse and I are now permanent residences since 3/24/05.

I am currently exploring other job opportunities and would like to change jobs by mid January 2006. I wanted to find out what implications this might have on my permanent resident status and more importantly in the future when I go and apply for citizenship. Secondly, what is the norm from a BCIS point of view before one can start a job with a different employer other than the one who sponsored the permanent residency?

Regards,

485someday

My details
WAC03-033-xxxxx
RD Nov 5th, 2002
Feb 5th, 2003 1st FP (Spouse & Self)
July 16th, 2004 2nd Fp (Spouse only)
Sep. 13th, 2004 Case transfered to Baltimore, MD (Spouse & Self)
March 24, 2005 Interview Date (Spouse & Self)
Permanent Resident since March 24, 2005

It is not mandatory that you should be employed. You can always say that you are a consultant. It would be better if you have proof of some bank balance.

Srikanthsiva,

I don't think (though I have not traveled with my GC as yet) that the immigration officer will ask any questions regarding your employment. Obtaining GC might be dependent on your job, but after GC it is not job dependent. You are in the same boat as all other residents or citizens (except voting rights an certain other restrictions), you can be without a job, or take a job that does not match your skill set and expertise and continue living in US without any immigration issues as long as your GC is valid.

I know a friend of mine who has GC, we worked in the same company, he quit his job and went to India for 2 months. On his return he was without a job for 3 more months. But he had no issues while returning to US.

Thanks

Only time they will question more if you are on GC and your stay abroad exceeds 6 months. Under 6 months, it is considered a temporary abscence from US. Of course if are a US citizen, it does not apply and you stay away from US as long as you wish.

As a GC holder, standard question that is asked is how long were you away and whether you travelled on business or for pleasure. You may be questioned more, if they hear that you were working abroad or travelling for work a lot. They want to make sure that you haven't abandoned the status of a permanent resident.

I travelled outside USA 4 times with advance parole in which 2 times they asked where do i work. Then i travelled 3 times after getting GC. Interestingly all the 3 times they never asked about my employment. But they did ask the typical question how many days I was out of USA.

So based on my experience, I understand that having or not having employement doesn't matter. i only suggest to have proof of some decent bank balance in case they ask how do we survive until we get a job ( even if we say are consultants).

I just returned from a business trip. At the DTW PoE the officer browsed my passport and seeing my expired H1-B asked me who do I work for and what position I hold there. So these questions happen from time to time. I think I travelled abroad about 20 times since getting my GC and got asked this question maybe twice or three times.