GC is not everything, there is more to life.

Couldn\'t disagree

As long as we have people like you in india, India can not and will not fail.
 I really admire what you are done and I hope we all can contibute in one way or the other, after all if India prosporus and there is not much gap between western countries and India, most of us would like to go back after few years of realizing how hollow life we are living out here.

one other comment, instead of giving some one a fish , if we taught him how to fish would be healthy in my opinion. Indian people should learn to take some personal responisibilty and right now should be very aggressive in reducing population.

No Title

Hey Guys, Let\'s not critisize those who have distance themself from their motherland. It will only divide us further. May i please request you all decent folks to focus on good thing that is going on here and that is , how can we help our people ? How can we make india better ? By doing something that will cut down the population, by doing something that would unite us, by doing something that we provide education to all....... and many other that you folks know.

Strongly agree with all the good comments plus..

txflute, if what you said is true, I am proud of you..

I wanted to share some (selfish?) thoughts here...
I know at least a few Indian people who got GC here worked here for sometime and went back to india for good.

I am sure if someone run a statistics on \'home returning\' GC holders by country, indians number will be more than the eastern and other countries..

This is becuase of our values and love towards the motherland...

what I miss

I share the feelings (missing home land and living there) expressed in this chain.
Wish I had access to a big hall, few minutes from my home, someone selling chai, samosa, idli and kesri, few desi\'s lurking around, some chairs in disarray, a few of carroms and a couple of TT tables.

It would take much of my pain away if I had this covered chaupaal here.

OK

OK. All said is very good. But none of us are ready to go back. Why?
Except that we are missing the relatives and social life (ala india) what we do not have here. The peace, the liberty and the money.We are here for money. How many are sending back money to India rather than investing in unknown stock markets in US. Make our country rich by sending back your earnings. Send Rs.1116/ to temples and let them feed people on the day of your choice. Wait another 5 years become a Citizen and go back to India. You can come back when ever you want and can enjoy all the benefits of an American citizen. Get the SS check delivered to your indian address. There are ways to make life more meaningful and happy rather than feeling guilty about it.

i appreciate all the good thoughts expressed in this forum and would like

to tell everyone to please focus on the how to help our motherland. I know one friend of mine who came here on h1 at the height of the tech boom and withing one year of arriving in US blew up 50K on the stock market. If only he had some sense of donating that amount to some worthwhile cause in india and made some poor people happy

respecting your "Godfatherly" feelings

I would wish to bring to your notice that no country has progressed on donations. Isn\'t this an easy path to suppress one\'s feeling of guilt and helplessness?
How about going back with all your money and skill and teaching them to fish rather than sending them alms.

babb_s

Some of the places of your choice that I know could be found at

1. Devon street in Chicago
2. Oak Tree road in NJ
3. Jackson Heights in NY

I am sure, there would be atleast one in 50% of the remaining US states.

It may not be few minutes from where you live but they are out there. \'Few desi\'s lurking around\' - what can I say about that? Not just a few, you will find a ton.

If you are not from NJ, visit this cinema complex in Bergen county - you will find chai (masala wali), samosa, idli, lassi, desis - all under one improved chaupaal.

This is not GodFatherly feeling.. It is the your forgotten duty..

I do agree that no country has progressed by donations.. Every country has progressed by the services of their citizen.

Dont ever define the charities made by the NRIs here as "alms". That is a very crudest way of demeaning the value of it. If at all you have made your food and education through those money in your lifetime once, then only you will realize the value it adds to your life. I know lot of people who studied by the charities and how far they have risen in their life. Without those external support they could not have achieved the status. I know how much a relief my family got when the Rs 500/- merit scholarship was given to me annually. It did make a difference.
India has no dearth of people to do services there back home. There are lot of people with service-minded attitudes and dedication. All they lack is the support and infrastructure. Just to do your duties you dont need to go back there physically to achive it. Get it done. There is something called "delegation". Find the right people with the right attitude and get them motivated to get done more.
Please dont go back to do the services. You will be snatching one more job which may be avialable to another right candidate. If you got a nice job here, stay back and support the charities back home.
babb_s, I am so upset with the way you posted this message. Next time, you send your dad, a check for family maintenance, call him and say you sent the "alms" to him.
Your money sent is your duty. How much tax you pay here in US. Atleast send 10% of it for charities back home. Think of it as though you are doing it for your extended family back in India.
By the way, I wrote the posting in the beginning of the thread, which was quoted by txflute.
Thanks txflute for remembering my posting and quoting it back here. Sincerly appreciated.
Thanks

Lifeless

So I guess all your relatives and family/friends living in the country of your birth are leading a "lifeless" existence since they don\'t have GCs??

Well Said and Well Written

I personally believe to perform charity with my hands; I mean giving or helpling someone myself. I am strictly against the concept of donating money to some charity who inturn most of the time does not use your money for the right cause.

do u really know where these monies go

I doubt even if a fraction of your donation reaches the needy. I think a better option is to keep collecting money on a monthly basis with yourself and whenever you go to your country donate it or give it to someone with your own hands.
And lately there have been so many scandals regarding donations and almost all types of Organizations (like Red Cross, etc.) had been involved. After all this friends I have stopped trusting big charities. That is what I think and you have a right to think your way.

Take Care