GC Interview today-Question???

i485app

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,
Had my GC interview today at the albuquerque DO, NM. AOS based on marriage to USC. The interviewer was a friendly lady and asked just trivial questions(Shall post the full version later). I thought the interview went good, until she said that "If you're approved, you shall receive a conditional GC... blah blah.....", I normally see (from this forum, that the passport would be stamped with I-551). I produced all docs whatsoever required and didnt mess up the interview anywhere. Im confused what the reason would be or is it normal for this to happen. Now if Im approved should I go to the same DO for stamping again?? Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Could be a couple of things:

1. You haven't pass FBI namecheck. This can hold up approval even though the interviewer otherwise thinks you're fine.

2. The interviewer isn't senior enough to approve on the spot. Sometimes they have to go back to their supervisors for final approval.

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. All you can do now is wait.

I too had the same thing. My intw was yesterday and the officer said the same thing. Read my post called "AOS Interview in St. Louis....help!".........I am pretty perplexed too with what this means.

It all fell into place today. Just got in the mail a RFE. It was a total oversight on my part - i gave in the marriage certificate and not the original marraige licence...so they asked for that. I will go get in tomorrow and mail it right away to them....hope all goes well then.

It all fell into place today. Just got in the mail a RFE. It was a total oversight on my part - i gave in the marriage certificate and not the original marraige licence...so they asked for that. I will go get in tomorrow and mail it right away to them....hope all goes well then.

Are you sure it's not the other way around?

We don't even have our marriage license anymore--the judge took it before the ceremony. Do they really need that? :confused:

hmm....

yea man, don't scare me. I don't have a marriage lisence in hand..all I have is a copy of the marriage cert.

Yes it is the marriage license. The RFE even says "you have already submitted the marraige certificate, send the marriage license" and they have even listed the address in St. Louis (the state i live in) where i should get it from plus have included a copy of a sample marraige licence just to make sure what it looks like. And yes, it is the one we gave the judge and got the marraige certificate in return.
So, i today called the recorder of deeds (the place where u got ur license from) and they said that they can give me a certified copy of it and they charge $12 for it. So first thing in the morning i am there and i will mail it to the local USCIS office.

Here in TX, they seem to use the words license and certificate interchangeably. The document I got says marriage certificate. Hopefully that's what they want.

man...harare...

...you are unique. I have never heard any1 being asked for a "marriage license" to be provided. I only see people taking the orig marriage cert( to the I130 interview) they get from the county clerk or whatever beaureau they applied for their marriage providing their marriage license.

Last edited by a moderator:
my DO is also in Albuqueruqe

Hello All,
Had my GC interview today at the albuquerque DO, NM. AOS based on marriage to USC. The interviewer was a friendly lady and asked just trivial questions(Shall post the full version later). I thought the interview went good, until she said that "If you're approved, you shall receive a conditional GC... blah blah.....", I normally see (from this forum, that the passport would be stamped with I-551). I produced all docs whatsoever required and didnt mess up the interview anywhere. Im confused what the reason would be or is it normal for this to happen. Now if Im approved should I go to the same DO for stamping again?? Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Hi i485app!!

My DO is Albuquerque too. Would you care adding in your signature your timeline? or could you tell me please how long did you have to wait for you interview???

Thank you!

here's his timeline

Hi i485app!!

My DO is Albuquerque too. Would you care adding in your signature your timeline? or could you tell me please how long did you have to wait for you interview???

Thank you!

Processing @ NBC or MSC
Case : AOS
I-485 & I-130 Filed : 08/23/2006
I-485 & I-130 NOA: 08/27/2006
FP Done : 09/18/2006
RFE Sent : 09/16/2006

I-765 Filed : 09/4/2006
I-765 NOA : 09/08/2006
I-765 Approved : 12/06/2006
EAD Card Received : 12/08/2006

Processing @ NBC or MSC

Thanks kkboy!!! I thought that the interview usually happens 3 months after filling for AOS...but here it seems that it took forever!!!

...you are unique. I have never heard any1 being asked for a "marriage license" to be provided. I only see people taking the orig marriage cert( to the I130 interview) they get from the county clerk or whatever beaureau they applied for their marriage providing their marriage license.

Even i thought it was rather strange but after researching about it and breaking my head over it all day, i have finally come to the conclusion and the reason for them asking me this: When i submitted my marraige certificate i forgot to photocopy the back side of the certificate which gives the license number and signature of the authorizating person. So guess, thats why they want the licence certificate now.
So all u please copy both sides of the marraige certificate , the behind is crucial as it has the license number there and no where on the front.

Even i thought it was rather strange but after researching about it and breaking my head over it all day, i have finally come to the conclusion and the reason for them asking me this: When i submitted my marraige certificate i forgot to photocopy the back side of the certificate which gives the license number and signature of the authorizating person. So guess, thats why they want the licence certificate now.
So all u please copy both sides of the marraige certificate , the behind is crucial as it has the license number there and no where on the front.

Well, I guess it depends on the state you're in. There's nothing on the back of our marriage certificate... :confused:

I'm hoping that it'll be OK, though, as we sent them one of the "original" certified copies we got from the court and not just a photocopy.

On the other hand, we already had problems with this marriage license at the Social Security place when my wife was applying for her new card (with her new name). They said that since Georgia marriage licenses don't have birth dates on them, we need some additional documents. One of those federal rules vs. state rules discrepancies. :rolleyes: I hope it's not the case here... :(

Anyone from Georgia here? Can you tell me something about this, please?

yea man, don't scare me. I don't have a marriage lisence in hand..all I have is a copy of the marriage cert.

Depends on which state u got married. I guess the judge doesnt take the marriage license. What u need is a certified copy of the marriage that u can purchase from the court.

Thanks kkboy!!! I thought that the interview usually happens 3 months after filling for AOS...but here it seems that it took forever!!!

Hey Burque,
Well I had an RFE(birth cert) and I guess thats coz my case was delayed a bit.

The initial interview notice asks for a certified marriage certificate. You have to get it from the court for a couple of $s. I had it with me and produced it to the interviewer, but she gave it back and took the copies(front and back) of the marriage license. Im wondering now If I'd be in the same situation as u???? damn.

Processing @ NBC or MSC

Hi burque,
My interview was scheduled at 8:35 AM on 19th April. We went in there at around 8:00 AM. We got called in exactly at 8:35, the interviewer herself came to call us in.

Thanks!

Hi burque,
My interview was scheduled at 8:35 AM on 19th April. We went in there at around 8:00 AM. We got called in exactly at 8:35, the interviewer herself came to call us in.
Thank you!
I've just received the first NOA, and I am worried that the interview won't be before August (I am moving out of New Mexico)...but let's see...anyway...thanks for the information!