GC in 87 days, DORA ROCKS !!!

guru5678

Registered Users (C)
GC in 89 days, DORA ROCKS !!!

Hi,

Just got an email last night. I was on the internet around 11-11:30 last night when I got a new email notification from "CRIS". I immedietly opened my inbox and was amazed to find my case had been approved. The email was for I-130. When I went to USCIS.GOV website to check for my I-485 status, I couldnt find my case status online. I have heard thats normal and it should say approved in a day or two.

Heres the whole story from START.

I started looking for DORA appointment around end of july. Got one for sept 6 after trying for more than a week. Then in 1st week of august I found another opening for 11th AUG. I tried getting it but couldnt since I already had one for 6th sept. So I got it in my wifes name. Now the problem was I wasnt properly prepared as it was too soon. Got everything together the best way I could and left for dallas a day early. A day before my appointment I went to catholic family services (CFS) Immigration counselor in Fort Worth just be sure to get there before 8 am. They charged $25 ( not sure if it was $20) for it. The counselor went through all my documents pointed out my mistakes in all the forms, advised me about the interview, gave some advise to my wife. He was real nice, worth it (which is really cheap). Then we started looking for motels, found days Inn for $45 which is less than 10 mins drive from DALLAS DO. slept for most part of the day as we were driving most of the night before. Woke up in the evening started getting all the forms straight. Had to refill some ( as pointed out by CFS,Fort Worth). We ended around 4 am at Fedex Kinkos (open 24 hrs) getting all photocopies and is around 15 mins drive from Days Inn. Came back slept for couple of hrs and were at DALLAS DO around 7:45. This is where I got my biggest shock. There was a security guard checking everybody's appointment letter as soon they got in line. He informed us that we were at wrong place. The Dora Office is seperate and is further down the road. We barely made it for our 8am appt. Waited in waiting room without food for 3 hrs.

The interview:

It was going smooth till she asked for photos. For watever reason I had only two. She said thats it??. Then she started looking at our bills/mail. 90% was in my name, she asked us why. I told her its my Indian culture where husband takes care of all financial matters. She wasnt convinced, asked my wife to step out asked me some basic questions, all the while writing something on a paper, and then did the same to my wife. At the end she gave us a printout and informed us we were accepted in DORA and also gave another letter ( RFE ) asking me to send more photos and mail in my wifes name in a month. While I was out she asked my wife to send any/all junk mail in her name like credit card offers, magazine offers etc. She also told us to transfer some bills in my wifes name as we will need them in 2 yrs for renewal of GC.

Sent the requested stuff in 3 weeks. Got scared if they recieved it or not so sent them another packet with same stuff 4 days before the deadline for RFE.

Got FP appointment for sept 23. At the appointment I was sent back due to a cut on my right thumb and told to return ASAP after it heals. They also wrote a note on my FP appointment letter. Informed me No appoitnment was needed to come back. Got another letter from USCIS stating if I didnt get my FP done by Oct 15th my application would be denied. I never informed USCIS about why I didnt have my FP done on 23rd sept and I am guessing neither did the ASC staff cared to do that. Went back on OCT 11th had my FP done in 10 mins, the place was empty around 2 pm in LUBBOCK.

I was scared that my case would be delayed because of my RFE and then the delay in FP. But DORA rocks. A days before my 90 days would be up IAM APPROVED. Never recieved any 70 day letter.

This forum really helped with the whole process !!!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! if your approval was on Nov. 8, it's been 89 days since the interview--very good. What's your country of citizenship?

anti-climacus said:
Congratulations! if your approval was on Nov. 8, it's been 89 days since the interview--very good. What's your country of citizenship?

Nationality INDIA
F-1 married to USC.

Iam planning a trip by mid dec. Would anybody know the avg time to get GC by mail. If I dont get it on time would I be able to get stamp on my passport and travel??

Aug 11- Dora Interview
Aug 17- ND for I-130 & I-485
Sep 09- ND for FP appt. Apt date of 23rd Sep.
Sep 23-FP appointment - Was sent back due to cut on right thumb.
Waited for thumb to heal.....
Oct 04- Recieved another letter dated 30th Sep from USCIS stating if FP isnt done by Oct 15 my application will be considered abondoned.
Oct 08- went for FP .... But office was closed.(columbus day) office is open Tue-Sat
Oct 11-FP done by walkin
Oct 12-Online status touched
Oct 13-online status touched again
Oct 18-status massege changed to "results of FP recieved and processing resumed."
Oct 30- Online status touched ( or Change in LUD...watever)
Nov 08- Email for I-130 ... APPROVED !! case status for I-485 missing.
NOV 09- LUD updated.for both I-130 & I-485.. I-485 case status stil missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
guru5678 said:
Iam planning a trip by mid dec. Would anybody know the avg time to get GC by mail. If I dont get it on time would I be able to get stamp on my passport and travel??

Aug 11- Dora Interview
Aug 17- ND for I-130 & I-485
Sep 09- ND for FP appt. Apt date of 23rd Sep.
Sep 23-FP appointment - Was sent back due to cut on right thumb.
Waited for thumb to heal.....
Oct 04- Recieved another letter dated 30th Sep from USCIS stating if FP isnt done by Oct 15 my application will be considered abondoned.
Oct 08- went for FP .... But office was closed.(columbus day) office is open Tue-Sat
Oct 11-FP done by walkin
Oct 12-Online status touched
Oct 13-online status touched again
Oct 18-status massege changed to "results of FP recieved and processing resumed."
Oct 30- Online status touched ( or Change in LUD...watever)
Nov 08- Email for I-130 ... APPROVED !! case status for I-485 missing.
NOV 09- LUD updated.for both I-130 & I-485.. I-485 case status stil missing.

2 weeks aprox. the GC to arrive.
I had the DORA interview a few days before yours
May I ask you if you received the 70th day letter to apply for AP and EAD ?
thanks

Dora

guru5678

Who recomended you to get advice from catholic family services (CFS) Immigration counselor in Fort Worth about looking over your documentation? Do you think I can get the same services in DAllas?

In what district did you legalize your marriage?

Would you still be qualified for Dora if you got marriead out of Dallas County?

trusss said:
guru5678

Who recomended you to get advice from catholic family services (CFS) Immigration counselor in Fort Worth about looking over your documentation? Do you think I can get the same services in DAllas?

In what district did you legalize your marriage?

Would you still be qualified for Dora if you got marriead out of Dallas County?
DORA is for anybody living in Dallas DO area. Your marriage has nothing to do with it. Also, CFS is open for everybody without discrimination to race or religion. I thought it was free but guru mentioned that they charged him. Well, if it's only $20 or $25 , its worth it if you are not sure how to fill out your forms.

Dora applied in oct 05

I had interview with INS through infopass on oct 14, 05. My notice date is 31st oct, 2005. So, far on my status it is showing standard message of "120 -180 days". I have not got letter which I am supposed to get after 90 days for EAD/Advanced parole.

Does anybody have been facing same issue recently? is it slow down? At the time of interview, officer told it it is approved and will take 90 days.