GC in 2008, now laid off, if unemployed whole time, Can I still apply for Passpot?

zaks

Registered Users (C)
Please pardon me if this question has already been asked in the thread! I'll be terminated after about 3 years of employment since my GC approval.

Not sure if I'll get another job on time or not. assuming the worst case if I do not have a job until 2013 and continuing some sort of odd jobs to live..... Can I still apply for Passport when it is time (five years from GC)?? Do I have to keep similar jobs during that time?

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

#1. You need to be applying for naturalization, not passport, when the 5 years on GC are complete.
#2. When you say odd jobs, I presume odd jobs which are legit - they pay payroll taxes and so on.
#3. Having a job is not a requirement for N400, but you might be asked how you supported yourself during the period you were unemployed.
#4. I do not think you need a similar job 3 years after getting GC. 1 year would have been enough.

I don't see why you would need to hold a similar job, as long as you are supporting yourself and your dependents in a legal way I can't imagine why there would be a problem.