GC holder studying in India

KMM

Registered Users (C)
With a GC if you study abroad by coming to US every year, can you still apply for US citizenship after completion of 5 years of GC status? The total stay in US is 3 years with GC in the 5 years.

If you have not been residing in the US, you stand to lose your Permanent Residency. However, if you are going to stay outside the US for more than a year, then you need to apply for a Re-entry permit. However, once you stay outside the US for more than a year, you cannot apply for Citizenship based on the period you stayed in the US before you left the US. The clock starts again when you return to the US after an absence of more than a year.

1year 1 day added

In the Naturalization guide it mentions that one gets 1year 1 day towards their citizenship when a re-entry permit is used.

However the previous stay is not couted.

Question

so if my son studies in india and came to the U.S once every 5.5 months and then applied for citizenship end of the 5 years period its ok right. We just got our G.C Poe 4TH MARCH. I want him to study in india for 2 years but do not want to apply for re-entry so I dont lose out on the time. I want to maintain permanent residency going up and down every six months and the last 2.5 years want to stay in U.S

Please advice gurus

Thanks

vvlabor said:
so if my son studies in india and came to the U.S once every 5.5 months and then applied for citizenship end of the 5 years period its ok right. We just got our G.C Poe 4TH MARCH. I want him to study in india for 2 years but do not want to apply for re-entry so I dont lose out on the time. I want to maintain permanent residency going up and down every six months and the last 2.5 years want to stay in U.S

Please advice gurus

Thanks

If your son comes back before 6 months it's not going to break continuous residency.
Technically it's OK to do that without re-entry permit. However, you have to keep in mind your son can face questions at POE and he needs to convince them everytime that his stay in India is temporary in nature for education.