GC holder - Do I need a visa to travel to the UK?

InfoSeeker_5000

Registered Users (C)
I'm originally from an Eastern European country, but I recently got approved for a GC based on marriage and had a US permanent resident stamp placed in my passport.
Now, do I need to get a visa to travel to the UK? I know that I do need one as a citizen of my country, and I don't as a citizen of the US, but as a US permanent resident do I need one?

I need to book a flight this weekend and the consulate is closed. Could somebody who knows please help?
Thanks.

InfoSeeker_5000 said:
I'm originally from an Eastern European country, but I recently got approved for a GC based on marriage and had a US permanent resident stamp placed in my passport.
Now, do I need to get a visa to travel to the UK? I know that I do need one as a citizen of my country, and I don't as a citizen of the US, but as a US permanent resident do I need one?

I need to book a flight this weekend and the consulate is closed. Could somebody who knows please help?
Thanks.

Absolutely! If you are a citizen of a country, whose citizens are required to obtain a visa prior to visiting or transiting through the UK, then yes, you need a visa. US GC has nothing to do with it.

The only time when GC gives you a break is when visiting Canada or Mexico, but only if you are entering those countries directly from the United States. (I'm not sure if it applies all countries, whose citizens would otherwise need a visa to enter Canada or Mexico)

Timeline

Just for those that are curious, here's my timeline:

Applied: Feb 26th, 2004
Documents returned - incorrect fee - March 24th
Applied 2nd time - March 26th
EAD: May 14th
FP: June 12th
Interview and I-551 temporary passport stamping: July 27th, 2004

Last edited by a moderator:
InfoSeeker_5000 said:
Interview and I-551 temporary passport stamping: Aug 27th, 2004

Thanks for posting your timeline. Did you really mean Aug 27th, 2004? Or is it July? Also, which office processed your application?

Interview and I-551 temporary passport stamping: July 27th, 2004

Yes, the interview and I-551 temporary passport stamping was indeed in July 27th, 2004. Sorry for that. Everything was submitted/processed in the BCIS office in Seattle, WA.

InfoSeeker_5000 said:
Yes, the interview and I-551 temporary passport stamping was indeed in July 27th, 2004. Sorry for that. Everything was submitted/processed in the BCIS office in Seattle, WA.

Thanks for the info.

About a year ago I also needed a visa to the UK. Since you are also on the west coast you will probably go through the LA Consulate. Year ago or so they were processing mail-in applications the same day. I remember I overnighted them my passport on Monday and got it back with the visa on Wed. The fees suck, though.
There's lots of useful info here: http://www.britainusa.com/