GC holder changes his/her name abroad

Hannah7

Registered Users (C)
Hey, just for my curiosity.

If one is GC holder, changes his/her name overseas - receives new passport and other documents then. Can he still travel to the United States under the old name? Or has to use the new name despite the old name being printed on the GC?

To enter the US with the GC, you'll need to travel with an official document linking the old name to your new name -- generally that would be a legal name change order or marriage certificate. Then once inside the US, apply to replace the GC.

Once in the U.S. , then the name change there is easy? Anyone can change her/his name at will?

to jackolontern

Hi Jacklontern, I have some questions to ask you about the re-entry permit. I joined a postgraduate degree abroad for 2 years full time starting in July 2010. I got my greencard in december 2009.

Would joing a college to do a postgraduate degree is enough reason to have the first time application for re-entry permit accepted?

Thank you for your advice.

Would joing a college to do a postgraduate degree is enough reason to have the first time application for re-entry permit accepted?

How does that have anything to do with changing your name abroad?

Please start your own thread, or find another thread that is discussing a situation similar to yours.