GC for parents

hope04

Registered Users (C)
My friend needs to apply GC for parents, since they are expecting a baby in a few months (They already US citizen).

Here are a few questions:

1) What is the process time for this category? Is it faster than the employment based GC?

3) Should the parents stay in US while applying or stay outside US? Which way is faster? If they stay in US, can they get back to their country if they need?

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Parents of citizens are considered as family members.

You can sponsor your parents 140/485 at any time( no need of dates being current) and they can join you on visitors visa and stay with you till it is adjuducated.

Thanks for reply.

Do you know how long it takes? What if they needs to go outside US?

also, It is not me. I have not got my green card yet. :(

Parents of citizens are classifed as Family based preference 1. NO visa limit but currently processing for Dec 15,1999 for all countries except Mexico and Philliphines.

They can come here initially using visitor visa, if it preferable to apply for vistor visa before August, since it will take about 2 to 3 months for any visa after August since everyone has to go through security clearance.

Does that mean, that once you file for their 140 they can legally stay here even if their I94 expires?

Once they file for I-130 AND I-485, they can legally stay here even after I-94 expiration.