GC for parents I 130 clarifications

cjs1043

Hello,

I have read through many of the relevant posts on this forum and that has cleared lots of queries so a BIG thank you to those that donate their time to answering questions.

A few lingering questions remain hence the questions below.

I am USC filing for parents GC through the AOS route. Would greatly appreciate any answers to the following questions:

1. On I130 box 22, your relative will apply for AOS at USCIS office in ? I called the national service center and confirmed that it should be Chicago (lockbox) and they said yes. But one thread on this forum said write your city and state where you live. Can someone pls. clarify what they did?
  2. For evidence of relationship for parents, I have my BC but no name on BC since I was not named when the birth was registered. In that case, will affidavits from parents work even though they are the beneficiary in this case? What about the home country issued passport which has names of parents? Any other suggestions on what else would be needed in case I get an RFE?

truly appreciate any responses.

Chirag Shah

1.I-130 line 22:

Rrefers to USCIS office located near you. All you have to do is to go to USCIS.gov and type in search window: "office locator". Then type zipcode where your parents live in a search box on a bottom, it will tell you the city you should list on line 22.

2. Every country has their own rule when it comes to issuing a birth certificate. Just submit what you have with marriage certificate of your parents (if still married) or divorce paperwork (if divorced)-all translated. Copy of their passport, copy of their birth certificates (translated). Copy of your marriage certificate (if married). If you get an RFE on your birth certificate, and cannot obtain a certified copy of it with your name, just submit a statement from yourself and your parents, have it notarized and explain in it why your name doesn't appear on your birth certificate.

Dmom,

Thank you v much for your response. some clarifications -

On 1 above - i did what you recommended. Under office locator on uscis.gov, there are 3 options - Application Support Center, Service Center and field office. Each of those yield a different answer for my zip code. I am assuming your recommendation was to use the Application Support Center. Is that correct?

On 2 above, I am confused as why I would need to include my marriage certificate (beneficiary are my parents, not my spouse, who has nothing to do with this application). Also why include my parents birth certificates and passport pages for I-130? I know they are needed for I485, but don't understand how they will help for I 130. additional insight greatly appreciated.

thanks again,
Chirag.

Dmom,

Thank you v much for your response. some clarifications -

On 1 above - i did what you recommended. Under office locator on uscis.gov, there are 3 options - Application Support Center, Service Center and field office. Each of those yield a different answer for my zip code. I am assuming your recommendation was to use the Application Support Center. Is that correct?

On 2 above, I am confused as why I would need to include my marriage certificate (beneficiary are my parents, not my spouse, who has nothing to do with this application). Also why include my parents birth certificates and passport pages for I-130? I know they are needed for I485, but don't understand how they will help for I 130. additional insight greatly appreciated.

thanks again,
Chirag.

a) When we file for a parent who is living in the US with their US citizen son/daughter, we submit the following:
I-130; I-485; I-765, WR702;I-864 (for each parent separately). With that you must submit the following: their birth cert.+translation, marriage cert., US citizen's birth certif., US citizen's marriage certif.(if appl.) and copy of their passport. And all of your financial supporting documents (taxes,etc).
I understand your parents are in the USA? Follow the steps in (a)

If they are outside the US, first step is indeed I-130, with that you submit ALL THE ABOVE supporting documents (birth cert.,marriage, etc). Be punctual and don't let them them hit you with RFE. After that they will start sending other requests such as DS230 I and II. (these are pretty self-explanatory)

Answer 1. If your parents are in US, it will be Field office. It will be reviewed at the end by a local officer in case the CIS desires interview. But most parent cases (if parents present in the US) are approved without an interview. If they are outside the US, go to travel.state.gov and look for US consular office for your the country they are currently in, then list it in that second section (city, country).

Answer 2. We are always trying to be punctual. The more careful and punctual the less problems you will have with them. And if you have a picky officer who is reviewing your case, just because you state you are married and do not submit a document to support it, they may send you RFE. It's silly, but it happens. Just a precaution to save time. I agree, it has nothing to do with your parents but something to do with you and you are pertinent to this case, so just a little hint.
Our office submits these and we have no problems. It's up to you but you surely won't loose anything by doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, that helps and makes sense. I am filling everything you mentioned except the WR 702 - don't know what that is. When I googled it, i read something about that form being expired.

Thank you Dmom.

Ok, that helps and makes sense. I am filling everything you mentioned except the WR 702 - don't know what that is. When I googled it, i read something about that form being expired.

Thank you Dmom.

No problem. WR-702 is not listed on the website, it is a processing sheet for law firms and attorneys (included in a software I use). As an applicant you do not need to submit it. Good luck