GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Need Help in Filing AOS for Parents ASAP

Gurus,

Please help me in submitting the AOS application for my parents. I have few questions related to each applications as mentioned below. Also I listed all the documents that I’m providing with each application.
Please advise me if anything else is required or changed. Please contact me at anujs25@yahoo.com with advise/suggestions.

I filed for 2nd extension for my parents, which is pending. My parents stay period has already expired one week ago and now I’m filing I-130 and I-485 (Concurrently) for my mother and father as I’m a US citizen. I live in Virginia so will file it by FedEx at
USCIS Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor Chicago, IL 60603-5517

I have following question for each form as below:
I-130 Questions
#22 -- Which USCIS Office will this go to? What should I mention here in City and State Names? I live in Virginia and filing I-130 and I-485 together at FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor Chicago, IL 60603-5517.

I-485 Questions
Part 2 – I think I should check (h) and in the line, write something to the extent that I’m filing for the I-485 based on the eligibility of a U.S. citizen child sponsoring a parent. Please let me know if it is correct or not?
Part 3- Processing Information: Section A -- Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer? What Should I check here out of Yes or No? They came legally on B-2 Visa.

I-765 Questions:
#16 – I think it should be (c) (9) for eligibility for parents? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I-131 Questions:
Part3 – Processing Information: #1 & #2 . What should I mention here? My parents are planning to go back in March'09 for a period of close to 4-5 months.
Also. Do I need to complete #4 and #5 ?
Part4 -- Information About your proposed Travel: - Do I need to fill this as document says that Skip to section 7 if applying for advance parole document? I need to apply for Advance Parole Document for sure.
Part7 – Complete only for applying advance Parole: Which all documents are required and what explanation to include in letter? Does anyone have a sample letter? Please mail it to me at anujs25@yahoo.com

Form G-325 A:

What to write for Father's father and Mother (My grand parents) date of Birth and their place of residence? (They expired long time back and we don’t know their date of birth)

I-130 Supporting Documents
Documents attaching:
1. Non-Availability Certificate from the Governmental Agency for my birth certificate
2. English translation of Non_Availability Certificate for my date of birth
3. Two affidavits for my date of birth from family members – one from father and one from mother
4. Affidavit of Marriage Certificate from my uncle (Father’s brother) confirming parent’s marriage
5. Affidavit of Marriage Certificate from my uncle (Mother’s Brother) confirming parent’s marriage
6. Affidavit of Father’s Birth Certificate from my uncle (Father’s brother) confirming the date and place of birth
7. Affidavit of Mother’s Birth Certificate from my uncle (Mother’s brother) confirming the date and place of birth
8. copy of Certificate of Naturalization
9. Check of $355
I don’t have non-availability certificate for my parents. I will get them in 2 weeks and will send it later to USCIS.

I-485 Supporting Documents
1. Check of $1010
2. Photographs -2
3. Non-Availability Certificate from the Governmental Agency for my birth certificate
4. English translation of Non_Availability Certificate for my date of birth
5. Two affidavits for my date of birth from family members – one from father and one from mother
6. Copy of Passport Visa pages and stamped/ Biographic pages
7. Copy of I-94 ( I applied for extension so attaching the one I received on the Approval of extension )
8. G-325 A form - Biographic Information
9. Original I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (Which I’m filing concurrently)
10. I-864 - Affidavit of Support
11. I-693 - Medical Examination
For I-864 Affidavit of Support, I’m providing the following documents.
• Employment Verification letter
• Copy of Last Year’s Tax Returns
• Copy of Last Year’s W2 (Should I send for last 3 years)
• Last 3 months Pay Stubs
• Last 3 Months Bank statements
Apart from these documents, are there any other document(s) which needs to be send with this application?

I-765 supporting documents
Photographs -2

I-131 Supporting documents
Photographs -2

Cover Letters:
Should we include a cover letter stating that we applied for an extension for my parents? In the extension reason, we mentioned that they intend to file for extension because we want to file Green Card for parents. If yes, with which application do we need to apply this cover letter (I-485 or I-130)?
Also, do we need to attach a copy of extension cover letter and receipt notice of applied extension application?
If you have some sample letters for cover letter related to I-130 and sample letter for I-485 and advance parole, Please send me the same at the earliest.

I really appreciate your help in advance.

Regards
Anuj

anuj25,

I'd be glad to help respond to your questions, but can you list the questions in addition to just the question number?

I don't have the forms in front of me, and it would be easier for me (and others on this forum) to answer your questions if we could read and respond in one screen, instead of having to go to USCIS.gov and re-download the forms to find the questions.

-ML

1) Form I-130, Part C - Information about your relative Addresses in lines 2) 18) and 19)
Question: Address in 2) should be their address abroad(India) or mine in US?
My take: Looks like 2) and18) will be my address in US and 19) will be their address abroad(India). Am I right?
I don't have a copy of the form. I put my parent's home whenever it said "address abroad" and my home when it said "address in the US".

2) Form I-765, line 16) Eligibility category
Question: Can someone confirm that for parents in US on VISITOR Visa it should be?
My take: (c)(9)
That's what I put.

3) Form I-131
Question: What is the reason given generally why parents needs to go outside of US when AOS is pending?
I said to go home and arrange to sell/rent their house. I'm still awaiting a response, so I don't know if the reason was good enough.

4) Form I-864 Part 3) line 8) and 9)
Question: What should go in pint 8) and 9)
My take: For my mother's I-864, she will be primary for point 8) and my father will mentioned in point 9) to total it to 2 in point 10). Similarly in father's application also it will come to 2 in point 10)
Don't know, I only applied for one parent.

5) G-325A
Question: I will fill 4 copies of this form for both my parents(applicants). Is one required for me (sponsor)?
My take: No, but read somewhere that someone submitted for applicant and sponsor, so wanted to confirm.
I didn't fill one up for me (the sponsor).

Question: Applicant's residence (last 5 years). Do I need to put the US address they are living now while on visitor visa or any other addresses they had lived at in US while on Visitor Visa?
My take: No. Put only the addresses outside US for last 5 years
I only put the foreign address, rationale was that US was not their "residence", they were only visiting.

Question: Applicant's last address outside US for more than one year?
My take: I think this should be there permanent address outside US where they have been living .
That's what I did.

6) Photos:
Question: How many photos of applicants and sponsor?
My take: 6 for each applicant(2 each for I-485, I-765, I-131). No photo of sponsor required.
That's what I did.

-ML

DO: Santa Ana / SC: California Service Center

5/13/08 - Parent I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 mailed to Chicago Lockbox
5/22/08 - checks cashed, receipt numbers from Missouri MSC
5/25/08 - Notice dates for all notices
5/29/08 - LUD I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 (received and pending at NBC)
6/07/08 - Fingerprint appointment letter received
6/12/08 - Fingerprint appointment date
6/12/08 - LUD I-485/I-765 (no change, still received and pending at NBC)

I cant answer all your questions, but a few quoted below. Someone else can help you on other questions.

I-485 Questions
Part 2 – I think I should check (h) and in the line, write something to the extent that I’m filing for the I-485 based on the eligibility of a U.S. citizen child sponsoring a parent. Please let me know if it is correct or not?
Should be a) based on the fact that parents are immediate relative and you are applying for I-130 along with this(I-485) and approval of I-130 will make immigrant visa number immediately available.

Part 3- Processing Information: Section A -- Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer? What Should I check here out of Yes or No? They came legally on B-2 Visa.
Put Yes.

I-765 Questions:
#16 – I think it should be (c) (9) for eligibility for parents? Please correct me if I’m wrong.
(c)(9) seems to be right. See ml_boston's response to my post.

I-131 Questions:
Part3 – Processing Information: #1 & #2 . What should I mention here? My parents are planning to go back in March'09 for a period of close to 4-5 months.
In #1 put an approximate date when they plan to go but keep in mind that they might have to go early for unforeseen circumstances, so safe practice to put a date 30 days from filing date. In #2 say multiple trips. (This is what was there in my I-485 from like 7 yrs back, which was filed by lawyer form work).

Also. Do I need to complete #4 and #5 ?
No

Part4 -- Information About your proposed Travel: - Do I need to fill this as document says that Skip to section 7 if applying for advance parole document? I need to apply for Advance Parole Document for sure.
Skip to section 7

Double check with experts here

I read supplement A to I-485. It says:
NOTE: If you are applying to adjust as the spouse or unmarried minor child of a U.S. citizen or the parent of a U.S. citizen child at least 21 years of age, and if you were inspected and lawfully admitted to the United States other than in C-1 or S nonimmigrant status, you do not need to file this form.

So, it means it is *ok* (no penalty) for parents overstay before applying GC, right?

Thanks!!

Revised Questions. Please reply.

Friends,

Please help me in submitting the AOS application for my parents. I have few questions related to each applications as mentioned below. Also I listed all the documents that I’m providing with each application.
Please advise me if anything else is required or changed. Please contact me at anujs25@yahoo.com with advise/suggestions.

I filed for 2nd extension for my parents, which is pending. My parents stay period has already expired one week ago and now I’m filing I-130 and I-485 (Concurrently) for my mother and father as I’m a US citizen. I live in Virginia so will file it by FedEx at
USCIS Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor Chicago, IL 60603-5517

I have following question for each form as below:
I-130 Questions#22 . Complete the information below if your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status.
Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in:
(City) (State)
Which USCIS Office will this go to? What should I mention here in City and State Names? I live in Virginia and filing I-130 and I-485 together at FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor Chicago, IL 60603-5517.
I think it should be Chicago, Illinois.
I-485 QuestionsPart 2. Application Type. (Check one.)
I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:
a. An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number has been approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this application that will give you an immediately available visa number, if approved.)
b. My spouse or parent applied for adjustment of status or was granted lawful permanent
residence in an immigrant visa category that allows derivative status for spouses and children.
h. Other basis of eligibility. Explain (for example, I was admitted as a refugee, my status has not been terminated, and I have been physically present in the United States for one year after admission). If additional space is needed, use a separate piece of paper.

I think I should check (h) and in the line, write something to the extent that I’m filing for the I-485 based on the eligibility of a U.S. citizen child sponsoring a parent. Please let me know if it is correct or not?
I-131 Questions:
Part3 – Processing Information: #1 & #2 .
#1. Date of Intended Departure (mm/dd/yyyy)
#2. Expected Length of Trip
What should I mention here? My parents are planning to go back in March' 09 for a period of close to 4-5 months.
If you are applying for an Advance Parole Document, skip to Part 7.
Do I need to complete #4 and #5 ?
#4. Have you ever before been issued a reentry permit or refugee travel? No Yes (Give the following information
for the last document issued to you):
Date Issued (mm/dd/yyyy):
Disposition (attached, lost, etc.):
5. Where do you want this travel document sent? (Check one)
a. To the U.S. address shown in Part 1 on the first page of this form.
To a DHS office overseas at:
b. To a U.S. Embassy or consulate at: City: Country:
c. To a DHS office overseas at: City: Country:
d. If you checked "b" or "c", where should the notice to pick up the travel document be sent?
To the address shown in Part 2 on the first page of this form.
To the address shown below:
Address (Number and Street) Apt. #
Purpose of trip. If you need more room, continue on a seperate sheet(s) of paper.
List the countries you intend to visit.
Part7 – Complete only for applying advance Parole: Which all documents are required and what explanation to include in letter? Does anyone have a sample letter? Please mail it to me at anujs25@yahoo.com
Part 7. Complete only if applying for advance parole.
On a separate sheet(s) of paper, please explain how you qualify for an advance parole document and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered. (See instructions.)

1. For how many trips do you intend to use this document? One trip or More than one trip
Form G-325 A:
What to write for Father's father and Mother (My grand parents) date of Birth and their place of residence? (They expired long time back and we don’t know their date of birth)
Family Name :
First Name:
Date, City and Country of Birth (If known):
City and Country of Residence:

Documents attaching:
1. Non-Availability Certificate from the Governmental Agency for my birth certificate
3. Two affidavits for my date of birth from family members – one from father and one from mother
4. Affidavit of Marriage Certificate from my uncle (Father’s brother) confirming parent’s marriage
5. Affidavit of Marriage Certificate from my uncle (Mother’s Brother) confirming parent’s marriage
6. Affidavit of Father’s Birth Certificate from my uncle (Father’s brother) confirming the date and place of birth
7. Affidavit of Mother’s Birth Certificate from my uncle (Mother’s brother) confirming the date and place of birth
9. Check of $355
I don’t have non-availability certificate for my parents. I will get them in 2 weeks and will send it later to USCIS.
1. Check of $1010
2. Photographs -2
3. Non-Availability Certificate from the Governmental Agency for my birth certificate
5. Two affidavits for my date of birth from family members – one from father and one from mother
7. Copy of I-94 ( I applied for extension so attaching the one I received on the Approval of extension )
For I-864 Affidavit of Support, I’m providing the following documents.• Employment Verification letter
Apart from these documents, are there any other document(s) which needs to be send with this application?

Photographs -2
Photographs -2

Cover Letters:
Should we include a cover letter stating that we applied for an extension for my parents? In the extension reason, we mentioned that they intend to file for extension because we want to file Green Card for parents. If yes, with which application do we need to apply this cover letter (I-485 or I-130)?
Also, do we need to attach a copy of extension cover letter and receipt notice of applied extension application?
If you have some sample letters for cover letter related to I-130 and sample letter for I-485 and advance parole, Please send me the same at the earliest.

Need Help in Filing AOS for Parents ASAP

Thanks a lot Ml_Boston and Andromeda2007.

For I-485

Should be a) based on the fact that parents are immediate relative and you are applying for I-130 along with this(I-485) and approval of I-130 will make immigrant visa number immediately available.

Even I thought it should be (a), but when I checked with my office immigration attorney (Even though she is not much willing to do it) she told me to put (h) and mention the reason as I suggested earlier.

Please advise.

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Anuj

Anuj,

I wrote below how I understood the app and filed it. Please note that my app is still pending, so I can't say whether I made any mistakes that will cause problems.

I-130 Questions#22 . Complete the information below if your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status.
Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in:
(City) (State)
I assumed this is where to choose which local office will process the case (and where your parents will appear if they get an interview.) I put the closest office to my location per:
https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO

I-485 QuestionsPart 2. Application Type. (Check one.)
I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:
a. An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number has been approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this application that will give you an immediately available visa number, if approved.)
b. My spouse or parent applied for adjustment of status or was granted lawful permanent
residence in an immigrant visa category that allows derivative status for spouses and children.
h. Other basis of eligibility. Explain (for example, I was admitted as a refugee, my status has not been terminated, and I have been physically present in the United States for one year after admission). If additional space is needed, use a separate piece of paper.

I think I should check (h) and in the line, write something to the extent that I’m filing for the I-485 based on the eligibility of a U.S. citizen child sponsoring a parent. Please let me know if it is correct or not?
I checked h for my app and wrote something similar to what you said above.

I-131 Questions:
Part3 – Processing Information: #1 & #2 .
#1. Date of Intended Departure (mm/dd/yyyy)
#2. Expected Length of Trip
What should I mention here? My parents are planning to go back in March' 09 for a period of close to 4-5 months.
I'd recommend being honest and stating their intended trip and length. Based on current timelines, they'll already have a GC by March 09.

If you are applying for an Advance Parole Document, skip to Part 7.
Do I need to complete #4 and #5 ?
If it said to skip, I skipped.

Part 7. Complete only if applying for advance parole.
On a separate sheet(s) of paper, please explain how you qualify for an advance parole document and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered. (See instructions.)
I wrote that my father wanted to return to arrange to sell/rent his home. No external evidence. Again, no approval yet so I don't know how good this reason is.

1. For how many trips do you intend to use this document? One trip or More than one trip
I wrote 1. They'll probably give what you ask for.

Form G-325 A:
Family Name :
First Name:
Date, City and Country of Birth (If known):
City and Country of Residence:
I had the same situation and wrote "unknown". I only filled in name and town of birth per what my parent's birth certificate said.

This is a tough call, I would also consider waiting 2 weeks and filing a complete app. Chicago's intake office could reject the app if you don't have "initial evidence". I filed with a copy of parent's birth certificate.

For I-864 Affidavit of Support, I’m providing the following documents.• Employment Verification letter
As long as your income meets the federal poverty level for your existing family size + 2 (your parents), then you should be fine. If your income's been sufficient for 3 years straight, you may want to give 3 years worth of w2's and tax returns to minimize the chance of an RFE.

Cover Letters:
I put a cover letter describing my situation (a bit different that yours because the extension wasn't filed). In your case, I would also add in the receipt # of the extension app. The cover letter also had a table of contents, and I filed everything in the same envelope (I-485/I-130).

You may want to file each parent in a separate envelope with separate cover letters, and then enclose the whole thing in one big envelope. From reading other's timelines, each parent can move at different speeds so it looks like they process the parents separately.

-ML

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Ml_Boston and Andromeda2007.

For I-485

Even I thought it should be (a), but when I checked with my office immigration attorney (Even though she is not much willing to do it) she told me to put (h) and mention the reason as I suggested earlier.

Please advise.

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Anuj

Well I know of a case where someone checked a) for parents and the petition was approved. Going by what your lawyer and ML_BOSTON says, h) sounds ok too. So may be it wont matter. To be safe, attach copy of I-130 with I-485. My 2 cents.

Thank you very much ML_boston and Andromeda.

Yes, I'm also selecting (h) option but not attaching I-130 because it will confuse them. I will write a cover letter explaining it.

Your Advise.

Thanks
Anuj

Received I-130 & I-485 approval notice by mail.

Hi;

Received I-130 & I-485 approval notice by mail.

I am still waiting for my dad's I-130 and I-485 approval.

My Timeline

This is for both my parents -
SENT 130, 485, 131, 765 on 2/27/2008
Received Receipt Notices - 03/5/2008
Completed FP on 3/27/2008
Received RFE for Birth Certificate on 3/19/2008
Sent RFE reponse on 3/31/2008
RFE response received by USCIS on 4/3/2008
LUD, Message and EMail from USCIS for 485 - RFE response received and case resumed - 04/06/2008
AP and EAD LUD - 06/2/2008
AP and EAD Approved Email - 6/20/2008
I-130 apporaval email for Mom - 7/23/2008 at 9:30 a.m.
I-485 approval email : 7/24/08 at 12:15PM
I-130 apporval notice by mail: 7/25/08
I-485 apporval notice by mail: 7/28/08

Dear BM_13,

Congrats on Approval of 130 and 485.

Could you please answer my questions and Andromeda questions as well? It will be really helpful for us because your applications got approved.

Thanks a lot.
Anuj

Few more comments on your list of attachments. See inline and see if it helps and if not please let me know as may be I need to correct it at my end.

Documents attaching:
9. Check of $355
For I-130, 4. and 5. is required for your father petition and not for your mother. Also you do not need 6. and 7. as in I-130 you don't need to give evidence of DOB for parents. Only thing you need to prove is your relation to them, so your birth evidence is required and for that 3. is enough.

1. Check of $1010
2. Photographs -2
Your parents are applicant and not you, so your birth evidence is not required. So 3. 4. 5. is not required. Here what you are missing is birth evidence of applicants(your parents), so add those things. Apart from this, I am attaching copy of I-130 as you said in 9. but you mentioned before that you will not. Instructions clearly say to attach pending I-130, so your call.

Seems right. ML_Boston already commented on this.

Photographs -2
Attach I-485 (may be form only). Read instructions Page 5. Section 7. A. Officer who gets I-765 and doesn't get full package should know I-485 is pending. Again not sure.

Photographs -2
Instruction asks for ID, so am attaching copy of passport identity page. Also attaching VISA page form passport, I-94. Also a letter explaining reason why is this required (as ML_Boston said)

Andromeda,

For I-864, You are right that we need to put the name of the mother or father in section (9) so it will be total of 2.
I confirmed this with my lwawyer.

Also since everything will go in one packet, there is no need to attach the I-130 application with the I-485 Application.

Prepare three cover letter, One for overall application, one for I-130 and one for I-485 (This will include your I-485, I-864, I-131, G-325a and I-765 and all the supporting documents in a sequence).

This is what my lawyer told me so will go with it.

Thanks
Anuj

Administrative Processing of Parents Application

My parents had their GC interview on June 2nd 2007. They said their GC is conditionally approved and they have to wait for further administrative processing. We thought their application went for FBI name Check. But it is more than a year we haven't heard anything from USCIS. ANy advice will be appreciated.

My parents had their GC interview on June 2nd 2007. They said their GC is conditionally approved and they have to wait for further administrative processing. We thought their application went for FBI name Check. But it is more than a year we haven't heard anything from USCIS. ANy advice will be appreciated.

I-140 is an employment-based petition. I'd suggest posting in the employment-based GC forums (not this family-based one) where people have more experience with employment GC timelines/processes.

-ML

Updating my timeline. They asked for an RFE on the I-485. Will post what it is when it arrives in the mail.

Aren't the typical birth certificate RFE's on the I-130? Does this mean the RFE is likely with the affidavit of support?

-ML

7/29/08 - LUD I-485 - RFE sent out, case on hold

Updating my timeline. They asked for an RFE on the I-485. Will post what it is when it arrives in the mail.

Aren't the typical birth certificate RFE's on the I-130? Does this mean the RFE is likely with the affidavit of support?

-ML

Sorry for hear that. I-130 typical RFE's are failure to provide(or incomplete) proof of relation between petitioner and beneficiary. Birth Certificate RFE's for applicant are typically with I-485. You are yet to receive RFE in mail, so I guess you will have to wait to figure what exactly it is.