GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

My parents are not having birth certificate & they are not getting any letter from the village authority saying they do not have any birth registered there. They have made affidavit of Birth. Is there any other alternative ? What department in village they should contact & what should contain in the non availability letter? My parents are coming here in August so please reply at earliest. They have little time to get the letter. Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys;

How long does it takes once my parents case transfer today to CSC center ?

BM13

Looking at other posts, it looks like 57 days:

4 days - online status change from transfer to CSC to pending at CSC
11 days - approval of EAD/AP email
14 days - receive physical EAD/AP
20 days - GC approval / welcome email
8 days - GC received
----------------------
57 days - Total

It looks like all your EAD/AP stuff happened earlier probably while your RFE was pending. However, I've noticed the marriage petitions slowing down lately, hopefully it won't affect parent petitions.

Has your online status switched from transfer to CSC to pending at CSC yet? If so, do you know when that happenned?

-ML

DO: Santa Ana / SC: California Service Center

5/13/08 - Parent I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 mailed to Chicago Lockbox
5/22/08 - checks cashed, receipt numbers from Missouri MSC
5/25/08 - Notice dates for all notices
5/29/08 - LUD I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 (received and pending at NBC)
6/07/08 - Fingerprint appointment letter received
6/12/08 - Fingerprint appointment date
6/12/08 - LUD I-485/I-765 (no change, still received and pending at NBC)

all, please post timeline updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like RFEs come in soon after fingerprints, so I hope it means I won't get one.

Any one have a recent timeline update for transferring to CSC without an RFE? The latest posted date I can see is from cscgc on 6/2.

-ML

After the Green Card how much time parents needs to stay in US to maintain GC?

They need to be here long and often enough to prove to USCIS that they are residents, not visiting. USCIS has no published "rule".

Other posters have said that the standard is that any departures from the US have to be less than 6 months in duration. Longer departures would need to be pre-approved via an I-131.

-ML

Hi ML Boston

Here is my I-485 Status at CSC Center:

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

BM13

GC for parent

My parent timeline for AOS:

Mailed : 05/22/08
Received by Chicago : 05/23/08
Receipt date : 05/28/08
Finger Print done : 06/20/08
I-130, I-485 LUD : 06/20/08
I-130, I-485 LUD : 06/23/08
I-130, I-485 LUD : 07/01/08 (Case tranfered to CSC)
I-130, I-485 LUD : 07/10/08 (This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred)

Request a change for place of interview

I recieved a letter from national visa center after aproval of my application for GC for my parents, however case number starts with FRN. It seems to me that means the case is going to go to Frankfourt Germany. How can I request a change?

My parent timeline for AOS:

Mailed : 05/22/08
Received by Chicago : 05/23/08
Receipt date : 05/28/08
Finger Print done : 06/20/08
I-130, I-485 LUD : 06/20/08
I-130, I-485 LUD : 06/23/08
I-130, I-485 LUD : 07/01/08 (Case tranfered to CSC)
I-130, I-485 LUD : 07/10/08 (This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred)

Satiger1, what DO are you?

Now I'm a bit concerned. I'm a few days ahead of you and don't have a case transfer yet. My dad had overstayed, hope we don't get an interview.

-ML

Last edited by a moderator:
Satiger1, what DO are you?

Now I'm a bit concerned. I'm a few days ahead of you and don't have a case transfer yet. My dad had overstayed, hope we don't get an interview.

-ML

I guess you don't need to worry much.....wait till status changes......it could still be transfered to CSC.

Guys, what is LUD that you guys mentioned in the forum? Thanks!:confused:

LUD = "Last update date"

It is on the USCIS case status website. Changes mean USCIS did something to your case.

-ML

US Citizen filing green card for parents

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if I may be asking obvious questions :)

I am a USC and would like to apply for a green card for both my parents. They recently arrived in the US on a visitor's visa, and have been granted 1 year to stay here (per their I-94, versus the typical 6 months).

A couple of questions:
1. They have a straight forward case, and based on research, it looks like all that needs to be done is filing of I-130 & I-485 (change of status) forms for each of them. Am I allowed to file for their I-485 at the same time as their I-130 while they are here on a visitor's visa? They plan to stay here till they get their GC, so advanced parole shouldn't be required.
2. They don't have birth certificates, but were able to get notarized letters from the Indian High Commission in Lusaka, Zambia (this is where they were living before coming here). The letters are "to whom it may concern letters" an state that, per their passport information, the IHC can confirm that those are their actual birth dates". Would these suffice, or are additional letter affidavits still needed?
3. If additional letters of affidavit are needed (2 for each of them), do these only need to be from a blood relation that is older than them, or can they also be from a friend older than them? Also, is it absolutely necessary that the person signing the letter be older than them? Can the same person write a letter for each of them, or do they need 4 seperate people?
4. Lastly, I am thinking of applying for them on my own, since it looks like a straight forward case. Is there anything I may be missing in this decision?

Your comments and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-YP

Case at NBC not accessible on line

Hi all,
I filed for my mother's I130, I485, I131 and I765 in May 2008. I got the I797 receipts within a week with the receipt numbers that started with MSC. My mother also got finger printed on June 10 2008.

However, the problem is that I can't see her case online at all. I have used receipt numbers for I130, I485, I131 and I765 but I get the message that the receipt is invalid. This didn't make any sense. So, finally I called up the customer service but even they could not pull my case off their systems. So, they connected me to the second level support. The person there informed me that my case was in a different computer that is not accessible online or to the first level customer service reps. However, he did say that everything was fine with my case and that it was proceeding at a normal pace.

Has anyone faced this issue before? How can one know what the status is if they can't access a case online or even through the customer service?

Any information would be appreciated.

Here's my time line

05/12/08 Sent I130, I485, I131, I765
05/14/08 Delivered at chicago PO Box
05/16/08 Checks Cashed
05/20/08 Notice of Action received for all applications
06/10/08 Fingerprinting done

Need Help

Friends,

I'm also planning to apply for AOS for my parents who are here in USA from last 11 months. I earlier applied for extension and got it approved. Now I applied another extension stating that I want to file for AOS so I need extension. I don't know whether I will get that extension or not. But I checked with one of the best immigration lawyer and he told me to say this reason so that you are not cheating with the USCIS.

Now if I apply for AOS, I being a new US Citizen, what will happen? Will they reject the AOP application? If they do reject it, how much time my parents will have to leave this country?

What if I get Extension rejected after I file for AOS? Will it affect the AOS proceedings?

Please guide?

Thanks
Anuj

Friends,

I'm also planning to apply for AOS for my parents who are here in USA from last 11 months. I earlier applied for extension and got it approved. Now I applied another extension stating that I want to file for AOS so I need extension. I don't know whether I will get that extension or not. But I checked with one of the best immigration lawyer and he told me to say this reason so that you are not cheating with the USCIS.

The lawyer is right that they should be truthful and state that their extension is for AOS purposes, not for some other purpose (eg: to travel more). Saying otherwise is fraud that can put your parents into deportation/entry bans.

Per my discussion with a lawyer, the second extension will automatically be denied due to immigrant intent as its reasons, putting your parent out of status retroactive to the end of their first extension approval. However, being out of status is ignored on a parent I-485. So it's much better than fraud.

Now if I apply for AOS, I being a new US Citizen, what will happen? Will they reject the AOP application? If they do reject it, how much time my parents will have to leave this country?

If you are already a US citizen, apply for their AOS before their existing first extension expires. Upon filing an I-485, your parents switch to valid C9 status until the I-485 is adjudicated.

If the AOS is rejected, then they usually are given 30 days to leave prior to deportation hearings.

-ML

GC for Parents and Brother

I have question. My parents are here in US I am US Citizen.
I know i can apply AOS for my parents but question is how will handle my brother's case.
My brother is in india studying Engineering and is minor 18yrs age.
Can he be included as dependent to my parents or I will have file in FB4 category.

Another thing is that by the time he will graduates from college our parents will be GC holder ( probably) If he applies for F1 in US College will it create any issue for him.

Thanks

Hi

I am new to this thread. But have very positive experience with immigration portal while going through our GC process.

Now I am in the process of filling GC for my mother.

I have browse through some of the threads and they seem useful.

I have similar question that samsung2 has asked. Can someone please help us.
My mother does not have birth certificate. She has affidavit for it. But we are not able to get non availability letter from the village she was born in.

should we be getting birth certificate from Indian consulate as supporting doc for the affidavit?

Subbu