GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

$1010 for the I-485
$355 for the I-130
$100 - $400 for the medical exam (depending on location)
$10 - $50 for pictures (depending on whether you submit I-131/I-765)
$10 - $50 for shipping in forms (depending on method)

$1485 - $1865 Total

-ML

5/13/08 - Parent I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 mailed to Chicago Lockbox
5/22/08 - checks cashed, receipt numbers from Missouri MSC
5/25/08 - Notice dates for all notices
5/29/08 - LUD I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 (received and pending at NBC)
6/07/08 - Fingerprint appointment letter received
6/12/08 - Fingerprint appointment date
6/12/08 - LUD I-485/I-765 (no change, still received and pending at NBC)

All, please post updates to your timelines, thanks.

Thank you very much for this summary. However, I do have question about "medical exam" - did you submit the I-693 along with I-485?

Per I-485 instruction, it states "when required..." and USCIS customer service also response with a answer "it is not required while filing I-485, USCIS will notify the applicant if it is needed after I-485 is filed."

Any comments?

I-130 and I-485 Transfer to CSC Center

Hi;

I just received the email from CRIS and my parents I-130 and I-485 transfer to CSC center.

My Timeline

This is for both my parents -
SENT 130, 485, 131, 765 on 2/27/2008
Received Receipt Notices - 03/5/2008
Completed FP on 3/27/2008
Received RFE for Birth Certificate on 3/19/2008
Sent RFE reponse on 3/31/2008
RFE response received by USCIS on 4/3/2008
LUD, Message and EMail from USCIS for 485 - RFE response received and case resumed - 04/06/2008
AP and EAD LUD - 06/2/2008
AP and EAD Approved Email Again - 6/23/2008
AP approved email again - 6/24/2008
I-130 & I-485 Transfer to CSC - 6/26/2008

How long does it takes for I-130, I-485 approval after transfer to CSC ?

Hi Guys;

How long does it takes once my parents case transfer today to CSC center ?

BM13

Hi,

My mother came to US on visit visa on June 15, 08.

We are planning to file GC for her.

Do we need to wait for 60 days or 90 days after her arrival to file GC for her.?

How sooner we can file GC for her ?

Her stay here is till December 08.

Gurus, please guide me and with your valuable suggestions.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

ML, did you hire a lawyer also? Would you recommend hiring one for parents GC?

My opinion is that a lawyer is unnecessary if you are willing to spend the time reading the directions very carefully, if your case is relatively straightforward, and if you are willing to ask questions on forums like these.

Lawyers can cost in the thousands for green cards, but to some people its worth it due to the time savings and the comfort you have that an expert is looking over your case.

In my case, I filled the forms out myself, but have a phone lawyer service provided by my work that i called with the most difficult questions. She told me nothing I didn't know from reading the instructions, reading the INA, and reading these forums. But her agreement with my conclusions gave me additional assurance in my case.

-ML

Thank you very much for this summary. However, I do have question about "medical exam" - did you submit the I-693 along with I-485?

Per I-485 instruction, it states "when required..." and USCIS customer service also response with a answer "it is not required while filing I-485, USCIS will notify the applicant if it is needed after I-485 is filed."

Any comments?

I saw the same "when required" phrase in the instructions. But a few paragraphs away, it said "If you are filing your adjustment of status application with a USCIS service center, include your medical examination report with the application, unless you are a refugee".

I also checked the INA and it said the medical grounds for excludability can apply to parent I-485's, so I went ahead and included it.

-ML

Hi,

Do we need to wait for 60 days or 90 days after her arrival to file GC for her.?

Gurus, please guide me and with your valuable suggestions.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Received AP and EAD by Mail for both Parents

Hi;

I just received the AP and EAD for both my parents. Righway, I went to SSN office and applied their SSN #.

My Timeline

This is for both my parents -
SENT 130, 485, 131, 765 on 2/27/2008
Received Receipt Notices - 03/5/2008
Completed FP on 3/27/2008
Received RFE for Birth Certificate on 3/19/2008
Sent RFE reponse on 3/31/2008
RFE response received by USCIS on 4/3/2008
LUD, Message and EMail from USCIS for 485 - RFE response received and case resumed - 04/06/2008
AP and EAD LUD - 06/2/2008
AP approved email again - 6/24/2008
I-130 & I-485 Transfer to CSC - 6/26/2008
AP and EAD Received by mail with 1 year Validity - 6/30/2008
Applied for SSN - 6/30/2008
Received Case Trasnfer Notice to CSC - 7/1/2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Need your valuable advice.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

I130 Question

Hi,

I wanted to sponser by Father for a GC though CP. I have filled out the I130 but to send it we need to send both by birth cert as well as paretns marriage certificate. My mon has passed away and we have no certificate...any idea is that is a must?

As he is currently in the US we cannot even try to get one from our home country...we can wait till he leaves but that is additional time wasted.

Any advice/experiences

Thanks

Hi Guys;

How long does it takes once my parents case transfer today to CSC center ?

BM13

Congratulations! Some of the cases on this forum, it took a little less than two months for the parents to get approval(without interview) after transfer to CSC.

BTW, couple of questions, you mentioned you got two approval emails(about EAD and AP),
- Is one on 06/20 and another three days later?
- For applying SSN, will EAD approval notice suffice or do you need to taken the actual card? How long did the EAD card arrive after ur initial approval email?

Hi CSCGC;

BTW, couple of questions, you mentioned you got two approval emails(about EAD and AP),
- Is one on 06/20 and another three days later? - Yes, I was keep getting the emails from CRIS.

- For applying SSN, will EAD approval notice suffice or do you need to taken the actual card? How long did the EAD card arrive after ur initial approval email?

To apply the SSN I did receive the EAD card. There is no approval notice for I-765. I am keep getting the emails everyday about transfering my I-130, I-485 case.

BM13

By the way,
why some case where parents are sponsored by USC children when they visit here got approved without interview and some case, with interview?
What is the preferred method? AOS or CP?

Birth Certificates of Parents

My Parents are in US on Visitor Visa from mid May'08 (10 yr Visa and Indian passport expires Mar 2009). They were born in Pakistan and moved to India shortly after partition. I plan to file for GC through Adjustment of status in Bay Area California. For birth certificates they each have affidavits from 2 elder relatives.

- Since they were not born in India, none of the Indian authorities gave Non-Availability certificate, so they went to Pakistan Embassy in India and gave a letter to them asking to provide Birth Certificate. They got this letter stamped by embassy with a receive date.
Question 1) Obviously nothing is going to happen but can this be used as non availability certificate?

- Also I heard if you go to SF consulate with your passport, they might provide you with a birth certificate with date form passport.
Question 2) Is this a valid birth certificate? If it is then no need of affidavits either.

Anyone gone through this kind of situation, please advise!

I have a question regarding my Mom's application. She visited us in 2003 and right before she had to go back in Dec 03 there were some problems and we applied for an extension of stay for her. She left in Jan 04 and the decision for extension of her stay was denied in April 2004. She came back to visit us last year and stayed for 6 mos and did not have any problems at the POE. Now during her next visit which is going to be later this year I want to apply for GC for her, the AOS route. Will the previous over stay on her I-94 be a problem when applying for her GC?

I tried to search the forums but could not find a similar post, so if any one had a similar situation I'll be very grateful if you can recount your experience.

Thanks

I have a question regarding my Mom's application. She visited us in 2003 and right before she had to go back in Dec 03 there were some problems and we applied for an extension of stay for her. She left in Jan 04 and the decision for extension of her stay was denied in April 2004. She came back to visit us last year and stayed for 6 mos and did not have any problems at the POE. Now during her next visit which is going to be later this year I want to apply for GC for her, the AOS route. Will the previous over stay on her I-94 be a problem when applying for her GC?

I tried to search the forums but could not find a similar post, so if any one had a similar situation I'll be very grateful if you can recount your experience.

Thanks

USC parents are normally forgiven for overstay plus that she did not have any trouble at POC itself gave a green signal. At the most, if they do have a flag, they may call in for a interview during AOS process, but you can rest assure that it will not work against her.

Hi,

Need your valuable advice.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Most lawyers and sites would talk about 30, 60 and 90 day waiting period, but that is only for change of status for overseas consulates. I know with certainity of more than one case, who applied within 60 days and got green card without any issues.

I do not know if this question is relevant here, but can my parents convert Rs. into $ & bring it here? Is it legal to convert large amount Rs into $ in India?