GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

AOS Fee Bill Payment

Does anyone know if I have to pay two Affidavit of Support bills, for each one of my parents, or can I just pay one? Would I be filing two separate I-864 forms, or just one?

I'm still waiting for the letter from NVC, but I was wondering if anyone had gone thru this already.

Thanks

js_NYC
Send me an e-mail at spravasi@yahoo.com and I will let you know about the AOS Fee Bill payment.

Approval Email...

All,
Got the approval email for my parents yesterday.

For my mom it says..On June 19, 2007, we ordered production of your new card.

For my dad below is what it says..
On June 19, 2007, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before you get your new card call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

What does it mean for my dad?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I also got the I-485 approval email for my mom:

Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

On June 19, 2007, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status....

Hope to receive the card soon!

My mother's AOS

Hi Dawn and everyone else.
Just saw your post. I am a US citizen, live in NJ and my mom is in the US already. She came on a visit visa 7 years ago but she overstayed.

My questions for the group are.

On your concurrent I-485/I-130 filing, what did you selected under part 2 (application type)

I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:

Second question. On your G325A form, what did you selected as answer to this questions.

This form is submitted in connection with an application for:

Other ?, Naturalization? or Status as Permanant resident?

Lastly, I have two affidavits from my grand father and my mom's older brother stating her date and place of birth. did you or anyone ever file without a birth certificate of "notice of unavailabilty"? and got their petition approved?

I am also filing for I-765, as my mom is very independent and wants to work.

Please bestow upon me any help you can give me as I cannot afford to pay an attorney $5000.

Thanks so much !
Ethin

Ethin, please see my reply below.

Hi Dawn and everyone else.
Just saw your post. I am a US citizen, live in NJ and my mom is in the US already. She came on a visit visa 7 years ago but she overstayed.

My questions for the group are.

On your concurrent I-485/I-130 filing, what did you selected under part 2 (application type)

I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:

a)an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa

Second question. On your G325A form, what did you selected as answer to this questions.

Status as Permanant resident

This form is submitted in connection with an application for:

Other ?, Naturalization? or Status as Permanant resident?

Lastly, I have two affidavits from my grand father and my mom's older brother stating her date and place of birth. did you or anyone ever file without a birth certificate of "notice of unavailabilty"? and got their petition approved?

Sorry, I don't know much about this.

I am also filing for I-765, as my mom is very independent and wants to work.

Please bestow upon me any help you can give me as I cannot afford to pay an attorney $5000.

Thanks so much !
Ethin

CP or AOS? (Parents from Bangladesh)

Hello ALL:

Will appreciate very much, a little insight on this:

A friend's I-130 for both of his parents got approved a couple of months back, and they got the 1st package from National Visa Center. The friend also got the fee letter and he sent in the fees and Affidavit of support forms.
Now, from this point, HOW long should it take for the parents in Bangladesh to get their final papers (whatever that may be) which will allow them to come as immigrants ?
Conversely, if they come here now (both have B-2 visas valid for 2+ years), and file for AOS, HOW long should that take for them to get the card or PP stamped ?

Thanks in advance.

Generally nonresident alien parents should not be claimed as dependents on tax returns, here's an excerpt from IRS Pub 501:

"You cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the year."

Children adopted during the year are an exception.

days to get notice of action

How many days on an average does it take to receive notice of action after chicago lock box gets the petition. thanks

Hello,

I had a few questions for my parents application:

As is not uncommon for older Indian couples, my parents do not have a marriage certificate and the required birth certificate. The information posted in this forum indicates that 2 affidavits would work as an alternative. Questions here:

(1) Do they have to be immediate family members(brothers or sisters)?

(2) Is this required to be notarized? But who in India do I get it notarized by? In other words, what Indian official would recognized as a notary in the US? And how would they notarize this??

(3) Should this be on a plain piece of paper or stamp paper??

(4) Also, I read somewhere that a Non-Availability certificate needs to be submitted aas well. Is there aformat for this?? Who submits this? The petiotioner or the parents?

Thank you in advance for your help

USCIS Abbreviations Crash Course Part 2

To those that have a hard time finding it:

AD - Approval Date (When your application was approved)
AOS - Adjustment of status
AOS - Affidavit of Support (Department of State definition, AOS means Affidavit of Support )
AP - Advance Parole (I-131): The authorization to travel outside the US while your adjustment of status is pending
AR - Administrative Review
ASC – Application Support Center: offers fingerprinting services
BC - Birth Certificate
Bio - Biometrics (Digital photo, index finger FP and your digital signature. This is needed for the production of GC.
CP - Consular Processing
CPR - Conditional Permanent Resident
CWOP - Cancelled Without Prejudice
DCF - Direct Consular filing
DHS - Department of Homeland Security
DL - Drivers License
DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles
DO - District Office
DORA - Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment of Status
EAC - Eastern Application Center
EAD - Employment Authorization Document (I-765, approval to work while waiting for AOS Approval)
FP - Finger Print
GC - Green Card
INFOPASS - Is an online appointment so you can go to your DO if you have a doubt or want to know something about your case in person or to request your iEAD
INS - Immigration and Naturalization Service
ID - Interview Date
IO - Immigration officer / Interviewing officer
LPR - Legal Permanent Resident
LUD - Last Update Date on your on-line portfolio at USCIS website. It is the date when they last took action on your application, could be anything.
MSC - Missouri Service Center
NBC - National Benefit Center (is the one which process your forms initially)
ND - Notice Date (When USCIS notified you that they received your application)
NOA’s - Notice of Action is your receipt/letter that you received after you filed your forms indicates I-797C
NVC - National Visa Center
PCC - Police Clearance Certificate
PD - Priority Date
POE - Port of entry
RD - Receipt Date (When USCIS received your application)
RFE - Request for Evidence
RFI - Request for Initial Evidence
SC - Service Center (this is used with a prefix, eg CSC - California Service Center; MSC - Missouri Service Center (that is the address from where you will received your NOA's)
SSA - Social Security Administration
SSN - Social Security Number
USC - US Citizen
USCIS- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
VSC - Vermont Service Center
WAC - Western Application Center

Credits to everyone who contributed. :cool:

Question : GC for parents

My friend is planning file Green Card for his mother before the filing fees increase. His mother is currently working as a teacher in India. She would be retiring after 2-3 years.
He would like to know the requirements for maintaining the permanent residency status. e.g Does his mother need to stay for atleast 6 months in United States every year after she gets her green card? What if she can not? How about filing taxes even if she doesn't work in United States (currently she files taxes in India)?

One more question.

Gurus,

My friend has one more question.

What if his mom doesn't want to apply for US Citizenship and just maintain her green card. What are the requirements for do so?

I would appreciate you responses.

Thanks.

For my dad's AOS, will it count against him that he is retired? Does the US look at that like he will be a burden? Should I just put nothing for occupation?

Filing for 130 + AOS soon after the parents come reach US on B2 tourist visa.

Has there been any issue with Parents coming on B2 tourist visa and then applying a 130 + 485 from here. I tried to search on the forum and came across a few where there were issue with spouse and marriage on a B2 but any issue with Parents on a B2 to GC with AOS +130.

There are couple of cases where I live where the parents did this earlier this year and got their GC in 4 months. I know that it does not mean that this is right way therefore asking to find out if there were indeed any rejections on this account.

Also, is it advisable to wait for atleast 2-3 months after they come to the US before applying for their 130 + AOS.

Filing for 130 and AOS for parents who are in the US on a B2 visa.
Gurus.. I am a US citizen and my parents entered the US in Oct 2006 on B-2
and got an extension after the initial 6 months till Oct 2007.
Can I file for their 130 / 485 now and can they stay in the US
even after their I-94 expires (Oct 2007) based on a pending AOS application.

Thanks.

RFE: what kind?

I noticed in your signature, that you got an RFE on birth certificate. May I ask what exactly was the issue?

Thanks in advance.
----------------------
KABIR
----------------------

All,
Got the approval email for my parents yesterday.
Thanks.

file I-130+I-485 concurrnetly to LOCAL USCIS office?

I am reading the latest I-130 forms rev 01/05/07. It says that I-130 should be filed at local USCIS office if I-485 is filed concurrently.

This is quite different from the suggested Chicago lockbox address at the top of the forum. Is the forum instructions at the top outdated? Or I missed something totally?

CP timeline for parents..

How long does it take for NVC to transfer a completed case to the consulate?

Thanks,

My timeline for everyone's benefit:

GC/ CP for Parents
I-130 (@ CSC)
Notice Date: 9/15/06
Both Approved on: 1/25/07

NVC Processing
Case entered: 1/31/07
Rec'd I-864 fee bill and DS 3032: 2/12/07
Sent them back: 2/22/07
IV Fee bill rec'd by me: 3/14/07
Sent it back: 3/15/07
I864 rec'd by me: 3/5/07
Sent it back: 3/12/07
DS-230 rec'd by me: 4/06/07
Sent it back: 6/12/07
Case Completed: 7/2/07
Case Transferred to Consulate: ?

However, I can testify thru my own experience, that once I became a citizen, my parents were denied a tourist visa. They were told point blank that they needed to apply for an immigrant visa.

Thats completely absurd. So by applying for an immigration visa (GC), you are commiting to staying in the US and they would cancel your GC if you don't stay here. What if parents don't want to settle in the US, but just want to visit their children who are US citizens.

Anyone know the latest on the status of the bill that limits the number of visas for parents to 40k (as opposed to unlimited right now)?

Also, how much will the fee increase for I130 + CP be post 7/30 (fee hike)?