GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

backues said:
The bill says that A cashier's check or money order in US dollars, drawn on a US bank. I understand the cashier's check, but as to the money order, there are lots of places other than bank sell money order. Can't we use these kind of money order?

Thanks.

I used Postal Order and that was fine.

GC sponsor to Sister and her husband

I am in the process of getting US Citizenship....my sister and her husband are on H-1 and working for different companies and did not start their GC process yet. After getting US citizenship can I sponsor GC to my sister and her husband? If yes, can anyone please let me know the process or any helpful link where I can find the info....if I can sponsor then how long it usually takes to get GC for my sister.....apprecialte any help....

gunt said:
yes you can sponsor your brother/sister for a GC once you become a USC. However according to the latest visa bulletin the wait time is 11 years, and over 20 years if you are from the Philipines.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3046.html
The process is listed on the USICS website
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/sibling.htm

Thank You Gunt...may be they can start processing themselves thru their companies as that will be definitely be faster than the 11 years...

maoliz said:
I was stuck in name check for over a year and had to fight to get my case done. I just can't believe the USCIS can sometimes processes cases so efficiently :D

Thank you needurhelp for starting this great thread. And thank you Jenimmi, visaapplicant and everyone for sharing your experience and information!!!

My parents' cases were transferred to CSC and someone on this forum said it was a good a sign. I guess it is, at least for my mom.

Now I have to worry about my dad's case. His case number is so close to my mom's, how come... Maybe he's stuck on the name check? Does anybody know when is the name check initiated for parents? Is it after I-130 approval or before?

maoliz,

Congratulations on approval of your Mom's case! That was very fast! :)

Since you applied only two months ago, probably your dad's case is not stuck in name check but NC is not completed yet. Hopefully his NC will be completed soon followed by approval.

All is well that ends well

Parents' cases were approved.

Interview date: 10/11/2006
Approved on the spot. Dad's appointment at 9:30, Mom's at 10:00. Got to the DO at 8:45 and were admitted right away. Both parents called in at 9:45 and I was their translator. Asked to see their birth certificates and asked a bunch of questions from the "no" list. The whole process took 15 minutes.

Welcome notice received: 10/16/2006

GC received: 10/23/2006

Many thanks to this forum and those who actively contributed, advised and encouraged. And best luck to all!\

family based green card

hi to one and all.

my sister has just become a US citizen and i have been on an f1 visa for about 5 years now. she is in the process of sponsoring our parents for their green card. my question relates to me, can she file the i485 and the i30/i130 for me while i am here in the US. if possible what can she do in this regard.

what is the duration for a sibling present in the united states obtaining a green card, any information will be sincerely appreciated. thank you all.

michvish said:
can she file the i485 and the i30/i130 for me while i am here in the US. if possible what can she do in this regard.

She can file only I-130 for you under sibling category. Depending on the country you belong to, it will take anywhere between 10 to 20yrs. For timelines see the Visa Bulletin.

michvish said:
what is the duration for a sibling present in the united states obtaining a green card, any information will be sincerely appreciated. thank you all.

For sibling category, it does not matter if you are in US or out of country until your priority date becomes current. Of course, until ur PD becomes current, u need to maintain ur own legal status. Unlike immediate relatives illegal status, urs will not be pardoned.

I haven't read this whole thread...but i just wanted to add a tip when doing CP processing for parents.
Fill out the forms DS-230 ahead of time!. They have questions that require time to prepare. Like the places and dates your parents lived in the past 10 years. My prents moved a lot...also their work places/dates in the last 10 years...that was fun remembering that.

I received the letter from the NVC requesting DS-230 sometime in July...I had to mail those to my parents in So America, they signed them and filled them out. But filed them out wrong...i had to send them back(through e-mail this time). Anyways..It just dalayed the whole thing another 2 months.

So far the only form sent by the NVC that I HAD to use was the affidavit...I couln't download it from the NVC website. So thats the only one you have to wait for..but the DS-230 dowload it now and have it almost ready when requested.

Good luck...

machelon said:
<snip>

So far the only form sent by the NVC that I HAD to use was the affidavit...I couln't download it from the NVC website. So thats the only one you have to wait for..but the DS-230 dowload it now and have it almost ready when requested.

Good luck...

DS-3032 (the very first form sent by NVC - Agent form) has to be the one that NVC sends with barcode printed on it. Downloaded copy cannot be used for this one, as it doesn't have the bar code specific to a case.

Caution must be exercised when sending downloaded copy of DS-230 to NVC. The DS-230 that NVC sends is printed on both sides - one should make sure that the downloaded version is printed in a similar fashion, just to be on the safe side.

Sponsoring a (widowed) parent

I will be sponsoring my mother who is a widow. Does she still need to show the marriage certificate?

Also, she doesn't have the birth certificate which is fine - I can get the affidavits. But her married name is ofcourse different from the maiden name. Is that ok or does she need her marriage certificate to prove the name change?

IAmTiredOfThis said:
I will be sponsoring my mother who is a widow. Does she still need to show the marriage certificate?

Also, she doesn't have the birth certificate which is fine - I can get the affidavits. But her married name is ofcourse different from the maiden name. Is that ok or does she need her marriage certificate to prove the name change?

I have the same issue. I have applied for a green card for my widowed mother, and she does not have a marriage certificate. However, my understanding is that a mother does not need to submit her marriage certificate. Your birth certificate just needs to show her as your mother, with her current married name. If your name or hers has changed from that given in your birth certificate, you need to show proof of the name change. My mother has, however, assembled secondary proof of her marriage such as her wedding invitation, joint documents with my father, etc. I will know if this is an issue after my mother's interview on Nov. 27th. It is such a gray area, I am confused too.

Further, my mother also had to get affidavits of birth, which mention that my mother, with her current and maiden names, was born on etc. etc. That, with her secondary evidence should probably suffice for the name change after marriage.

IAmTiredOfThis said:

AS jyotsnar said, she doesn't need marriage certificate. While u r obtaining the affidavits of birth, start of with her name (as in passport). If it is different from her maiden name, have that mentioned subsequently in the affidavit.

Thanks!!

Two more questions:

1. Does my mom have to give a non-availabilty affidavit as well?

2. It's actually my sis who would sponsor her and she doesn't have a birth certificate either. I guess she had also given an affidavit at the time of her sponsorship. So how will she prove her relation with my mother?

IAmTiredOfThis said:
Thanks!!

Two more questions:

1. Does my mom have to give a non-availabilty affidavit as well?

Yes, she will need the non-availability certificate from the municipality of her birth.

2. It's actually my sis who would sponsor her and she doesn't have a birth certificate either. I guess she had also given an affidavit at the time of her sponsorship. So how will she prove her relation with my mother?

This is what the Chennai Consulate website says to provide as proof of relationship with a mother:

"Primary: Old Indian passports, birth registrations issued within one year of the birth

Secondary: Secondary school leaving certificates, old ration cards, old baptismal certificates, old family documents such as land transfers and wills, original wedding invitations, college degree certificates, mark sheets, property certificates, family photos or other reliable documents which show the required relationship."

Is DCF still possible in India?

Does anyone know if DCF is still possible in India? The web-page for Delhi seems to imply that it cannot be done anymore.
Would appreciate any input. Thanks.

http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/apply.html
Most immigrant visa applications begin when a family member who is a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident submits a petition (Form I-130) on behalf of the intending immigrant to the office of the U. S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (formerly INS) in the United States that serves the petitioner's place of residence. Do not attempt to submit the completed I-130 form to the Consular Section; we cannot process this form. It is also possible in some circumstances for a U.S. employer to petition to obtain permanent resident status for a foreign national employee. Click here to learn more about immigrant visas for foreign workers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me how long it will take for parents to get a green card from start to finish?

What are the typical bottlenecks? I have read few cases getting approved within 30 - 50 days. Is this normal?

Is there any tracker system over here?

Thanks for your help.