GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

jenimmi said:
If your trip to the doctor is already over, didn't he already fill the I-693 form and put it in the sealed envelope? If you know the form's in the sealed envelope, just mail it with the rest of the package.
If you're not sure contact the doctor's office to confirm, they put it in the sealed envelope.

If you haven't yet seen the doctor, then take one blank I-693 and one filled I-693 and he'll tell you what you should do.

Thanks for the prompt response. I am going next week.

Interviewed Today with little disappointment

We went to interview today. Was scheduled for 8 am, arrived at 7. Not allowed to enter the building until 7:30. Checked in with the receptionist and waited until 8:15 before the officer called their name. Give her the passports, she flipped through the document and asked why they came in May and already submitted AOS in July? I told her, they initially just wanted to visit us for 6 month and bought the round trip tickets. But I finally convinced my parents to stay with us permanently. Things changed, etc. Then she starts saying that they shouldn’t do that, instead they should waited oversea to do the CP. Well, at this point, I don’t know how this interview will continue. Eventually, she asked did my parents tell told the truth to the consular during the visa interview that I was a green card holder. I said yes, as a matter of fact, I prepared all the documents for my parents She said, don’t lie to me, she will check with the consulate. I told her that will be fine. Later, she asked if we bring in the household registry card. We brought the original and showed it to her. She said since it is in foreign language, I need to have someone other than me to translate into English, even my wife is allowed do this. Therefore, at the end she couldn’t approve the green card pending the following
1) She will check with the consulate to see if my parents did tell the truth during the IV application.
2) We will mail in the English translation of the Household Registry for my parents.

She said she approved the I-765 today and the card will arrive in the mail in 2 weeks. When I asked about the FBI name check, she said it doesn’t matter now since she won’t approve it pending the two things above. I insisted if she could check, and she did. My mom was cleared and my dad is not yet.

After all, I was little disappointed. My wife quickly translated the document and mailed them back right away this afternoon. Now I am hoping it won’t take too long for the officer to get the info from the consulate. Anyone had any experience with that when the CIS need to verify the info with the consulate? Usually how long it will take before CIS can make the final decision?

Secondly, again the dreaded FBI NC. I had to sue them to get Citizenship early this year. Now, it’s my dad’s turn. Is this a family tradition? :confused: I hope his name can be cleared soon in the next 3 months, otherwise, I will have to do this Pro Se thing all over again, but this time will be $100 more expensive. :mad:

BTW, does everyone get LUD when I-765 approved by DO? If yes, is it on the same day, or next day? All my 6 applications still no LUD since 9/2/06.

Last edited by a moderator:
jenimmi said:
If your trip to the doctor is already over, didn't he already fill the I-693 form and put it in the sealed envelope? If you know the form's in the sealed envelope, just mail it with the rest of the package.
If you're not sure contact the doctor's office to confirm, they put it in the sealed envelope.

If you haven't yet seen the doctor, then take one blank I-693 and one filled I-693 and he'll tell you what you should do.

Thanks a lot.. Could you anwser the other question.
My wife is also working and we file Tax jointly every year. Financially my income is enough to sponsor my mother as it is above the poverty line. Do I need to mention the wife's details? If so I guess I have to submit I864A form...
Please advice,

Thanks in advance,
gragi

expedite

Hi All,

My parents case is not moving. The case has been completed on July 27th per NVC but we're waiting to be scheduled for interview in Abu Dhabi embassy since then. Every second week of the month they schedule interviews for next month but so far we have not been lucky. The problem is NVC says they schedule based on the embassy capasity and people in line to get interviewd and there is no way to predict how long we have to wait...
I'm pregnant and due Jan 25,2007 so I was wondering if you guys know a way to expedite the process? Can I somehow expedite the process and get an appointment? Please let me know if you've heard of such a thing or if you know how long usually takes to get an interview appointment. Thanks.

gragi said:
Thanks a lot.. Could you anwser the other question.
My wife is also working and we file Tax jointly every year. Financially my income is enough to sponsor my mother as it is above the poverty line. Do I need to mention the wife's details? If so I guess I have to submit I864A form...
Please advice,

Thanks in advance,
gragi

needurhelp, has given you the correct answer already, for the I-864A (whether or not you should file) question. I just came over after browsing the other site :)

Anyway I believe, you do not have to notarize I-864 anymore, as they have removed that section to be notarized completely from the form. Previously, we used to have a section on the form which required notary's signature, but not in the recent version.

horiba -

Sorry to hear about that..
It's quite unfortunate, that you were asked this question, which wasn't asked to any that I know on this site and others, whose parents entered with Visitor's Visa & had subsequent AOS done. I can't believe this is what you were so careful about even before filing I-485 for them, and this just had to happen to you!

Just curious..Had your parents applied for the visitor's visa for the first ever time, just before entering US? Or had they visited US before on visitor's visa? I 'm trying to find out, if it makes a difference if the parents had visited several times before and if their AOS is filed on a subsequent visit and not their first..

Anyway, let the IO check whatever she wants with the Consulate, but if you don't hear from her within a month or if the case is pending approval of this, make sure to call her and find out what's going on. If this doesn't work try to make an InfoPass appt.
BTW what's a household registry card? We didn't have to file this and my Mom's from India.

Good luck.. and hope that your Dad's NC gets cleared soon. It's a shame that you have to spend for AOS processing and on top of it for Pro Se.

oh.. didn't file I-765, so no idea about LUD on that. Others.. please share some info.

But if it's of any use, my Mom's I-131 had a LUD change when it was approved.

Thanks Jen, you are one of the greatest assets on this forum. This is my mom's third visit and my dad's second. In the past, they all went back on time. They applied and obtained visitor visa in March, I became USC in April, and they arrived in May, and applied green card in July. My guess it maybe because it was so well planned, so perfectly that caught officer's attention.

But what I don't understand is why she needs to verify my parents' application that showing I was green card holder at that time. There was no benefit for my parents to lie to the consulate that I am a USC in the first place. Well, I am not worried about her checking with the consulate, but God knows how long it will take for her to do the checking. I will make Infopass in a month in case it stuck again.

My concern about LUD is because the officer said she would approve the I-765 that day and my parents should receive the card in 2 weeks. However, there were no LUDs since Sept. 2nd up to now. I guess another Infopass in 2 weeks in case that goes nowhere.

The household registry is not that crucial, I just mail them in the same day. I don't think India has that kind of government system to control the flow of population.

Last edited by a moderator:
kumar,ben,bhai extension to name o.k.?

I am about to file I-130 for my monther and i realised that my name has "kumar" at the end. This is very common extensions in gujarat like "kumar", "ben", "bhai".

Do I need to worry about this or do I need to get any other affidavit or notary to prove that with "kumar" and without "kumar" is the same name?

Any experience from anybody would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

horiba -
Thanks!
So, I see that their prior visits on a prior visa didn't make a difference. Like you said, it must have been the sequence of events - Visitor's visa, CZ, Aos application that must have triggered that suspicion, although I should say that generally, this is not an issue. It was just unfortunate it had to happen to you.

Call the Cust service Info line and ask them what they see w.r.t approval of I-765. If they don't see an approval, you can ask them to transfer it to a Supervisor and tell them that it should've been already approved as per what the IO told you. The Supervisor may be able to tell you if there's any activity going on with I-765 or not. Or wait until next week to see if the EAD card is mailed as promised.
Anyway, since it is 90 days from the date you filed I-765, you can make an infopass to get iEAD.

Thanks Jen. That's a great idea, I will call them tomorrow. I already made Infopass for 10/27 in case we don't receive anything by then.

I wish LUD is not up-to-date, otherwise, it's not a good sign.

horiba,

Sorry to hear about your parents' interview experience. Like Jenimmi said, it is really unfortunate that it happened. Many others have filed for AOS within a couple of weeks after arriving in US without any trouble. You waited about 2 months to apply which is what many lawyers/others recommend.

It is quite possible that the officer just said that she would check with consulate but may not do so and approve your mom's case after receiving translation of registry card. You will be able to find out more at Infopass if you have not already heard by then.

Since your interview was scheduled within 3 months of applying, probably your dad's case is not stuck in name check but maybe NC is not completed yet. The interview got scheduled before NC came back. We have seen many cases where NC came back and GC was approved within a month after the interview.

Hopefully their EADs are approved by now.

Good luck!

ncproblem said:
I am about to file I-130 for my monther and i realised that my name has "kumar" at the end. This is very common extensions in gujarat like "kumar", "ben", "bhai".

Do I need to worry about this or do I need to get any other affidavit or notary to prove that with "kumar" and without "kumar" is the same name?

Any experience from anybody would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

My parents' birth and marriage certificates have similar issues. My birth certificate did not have that issue. In our process so far we have not used parents' birth certificate (will be required at the time of consulate interview).

However I used their marriage cert alongwith my dad's I130. In both I130s, I specified all the different versions (birth, marriage certs etc.) of names in "other names used" field on the form. Also for applicant, there is "other names used" field where applicants make note of such issue or name change due to marriage or by court order. You will make note of other versions of your name there.

In general, it should be okay. But with affidavits you can make it ironclad.

aabraham said:
Hi All,

My parents case is not moving. The case has been completed on July 27th per NVC but we're waiting to be scheduled for interview in Abu Dhabi embassy since then. Every second week of the month they schedule interviews for next month but so far we have not been lucky. The problem is NVC says they schedule based on the embassy capasity and people in line to get interviewd and there is no way to predict how long we have to wait...
I'm pregnant and due Jan 25,2007 so I was wondering if you guys know a way to expedite the process? Can I somehow expedite the process and get an appointment? Please let me know if you've heard of such a thing or if you know how long usually takes to get an interview appointment. Thanks.

aabraham,

Congratulations to you!

Sorry to hear about delay in your parents' case. It has been almost 3 months hopefully their interview will be scheduled very soon. In case of Abu Dhabi NVC schedules the interview. However, will it be possible to check directly with the embassy to see if they can expedite interview appointment? Is there any info embassy website like the schedule of next month's appointment etc.? For example, some consulates which schedule the interviews themselves (and not NVC), publish their next month's schedules by the 15th of current month. It would also give an idea of what cases they are currently processing (timeline) based on case numbers.

in case of case # - XYZ2006nnnppp
per immiinfo.com website:
XYZ - the three letter consular post designator,
nnn - the Julian date (+500) and
ppp - the number of petitions designated for that particular post that day.

Thanks Visaapplicant and Jen for your advices.

I called the CIS, got hold of the supervisor. Pretty much the same info and told me the case status is not updated every week. Ask me to give 30 days to receive the EAD card. I think only Infopass may provide some up-to-date info.

Now I realized we may better off w/o those online case status. This thing is driving us crazy. It's supposed to be up-to-date, while in reality it is not.

Wow, mom got green card in 49 days!

I was stuck in name check for over a year and had to fight to get my case done. I just can't believe the USCIS can sometimes processes cases so efficiently :D

Thank you needurhelp for starting this great thread. And thank you Jenimmi, visaapplicant and everyone for sharing your experience and information!!!

My parents' cases were transferred to CSC and someone on this forum said it was a good a sign. I guess it is, at least for my mom.

Now I have to worry about my dad's case. His case number is so close to my mom's, how come... Maybe he's stuck on the name check? Does anybody know when is the name check initiated for parents? Is it after I-130 approval or before?

Thanks Visaapplicant,

I was starting to think no one will answer my post. Thanks for writing me back.
I've looked in Abu Dhabi's website but all I could find was a list of case numbers that they have finished processing(I guess that's the name check after interview). Nothing else. Maybe since NVC schedules the interviews they don't have the schedule on their website???
I was also thinking about emailing the embassy and asking how long it'll take or if there is a way to expedite but wanted to ask in this forum if anyone has heard of expediting and if it's even possible?
Another thing that my parents said was that there is a new process in which the name check for males over 65 years of age and females over 60 is being bypassed. Has anyone heard of this? It happened to couple of my parent's friends that they got their package right at the interview day and no name check was done!!!

visaapplicant said:
aabraham,

Congratulations to you!

Sorry to hear about delay in your parents' case. It has been almost 3 months hopefully their interview will be scheduled very soon. In case of Abu Dhabi NVC schedules the interview. However, will it be possible to check directly with the embassy to see if they can expedite interview appointment? Is there any info embassy website like the schedule of next month's appointment etc.? For example, some consulates which schedule the interviews themselves (and not NVC), publish their next month's schedules by the 15th of current month. It would also give an idea of what cases they are currently processing (timeline) based on case numbers.

in case of case # - XYZ2006nnnppp
per immiinfo.com website:
XYZ - the three letter consular post designator,
nnn - the Julian date (+500) and
ppp - the number of petitions designated for that particular post that day.

maoliz said:
<snip>
My parents' cases were transferred to CSC and someone on this forum said it was a good a sign. I guess it is, at least for my mom.

Now I have to worry about my dad's case. His case number is so close to my mom's, how come... Maybe he's stuck on the name check? Does anybody know when is the name check initiated for parents? Is it after I-130 approval or before?

Congratulations, maoliz!

My Mom's background/name check was initiated (as per one of the supervisor at the DO) even before she went for her Finger print appt. This was news to me at that time, as I had always assumed namecheck starts off after the Finger prints are taken - but apparently, that's not the case.

Usually, for AOS applicants, I-130 is approved together with I-485 and not before like CP applicants.

I-864 Processing Fee Bill question

The bill says that A cashier's check or money order in US dollars, drawn on a US bank. I understand the cashier's check, but as to the money order, there are lots of places other than bank sell money order. Can't we use these kind of money order?

Thanks.

jenimmi said:
Congratulations, maoliz!

My Mom's background/name check was initiated (as per one of the supervisor at the DO) even before she went for her Finger print appt. This was news to me at that time, as I had always assumed namecheck starts off after the Finger prints are taken - but apparently, that's not the case.

Usually, for AOS applicants, I-130 is approved together with I-485 and not before like CP applicants.

Actually name check gets triggered along with the FP notices.