GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

gc4inlaws said:
My wife is sponsoring her parents who got married 30+ years ago in Mumbai but their marriage was not registered. The registrar's office there does not issue a Non-availability certificate now. However ,they gave an option to register their marriage as having occurred 30+ years ago but this requires a no-objection posting in their office for 1 month after which the certificate would be issued. Has anyone pursued this option? OR would getting affidavits from 2 people present at the wedding suffice? What has been other's experience?

Are you guys pursuing AOS or CP?

When filing for mother you don't need a Marriage Certificate. MC is needed only when filing for father.
This is what we did, for my father (For CP):
If you don't have a MC right now, you can send the affidavits (for marriage)from 2 close relatives along with the application. In the meanwhile, try to get a MC for your parents. My father got the Marriage certificate recently for his marriage in the 70's. This is what he is going to be taking to his interview. MC seems to be required to be shown at the interview.

We plan to do AOS when they get here in January. Currently they are in India getting the affidavits done. The registrar's office apparently told them that the marriage registration will be posted for a month to see if anyone has objections and then issue a certificate. Was trying to decide if it was worth going thru the process or would the affidavits/secondary evidence suffice. Looks like it may be essential to get the MC. Thanks jenimmi for the prompt response. You have offered a wealth of info for this forum, appreciate your service.

Any ideas?

Hi every one,

Any one with such a note from the USCIS web site and whom DO is not California but Boston or else? I had an other LUD on monday 9/11/2006 after the LUD on friday 9/8/2006. The 8th of September LUD had the following message:

On September 8, 2006, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to an office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. Our office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a local office.

I have not received anything else for this case or the other two I filled at the same date. Not even a LUD for the other two i-485's since the first day of showing up on line.

What all this means? Any ideas? Any one else in the same position. Please respond at your earlier convinience.

Peace out. :cool:

Regarding CP Interview at Chennai for Parents

Has anyone heard of problems or issues at chennai consulate for parents' GC, when they dont have original birth certificate?

Thanks a Lot

Murthy

time line after submitting DS230

Does anyone know what is the timeline after submitting DS230, when can we expect Interview Dates?

Thanks

Murthy

mkrishnarevera said:
Has anyone heard of problems or issues at chennai consulate for parents' GC, when they dont have original birth certificate?

Thanks a Lot

Murthy

If the applicant is born before 1969/70, they are expected to show original NABC in the least, if not original BC. But, to answer your question, I will know about this for sure when my Dad goes for an interview in a couple of months. My Dad had only NABC to start with, now he managed to get a BC too in preparation for his interview.

I remember a while ago, a member whose Mom had an interview in Chennai went from Salem, Tamilnadu to Karnataka (where she was born) to get the BC. In the end, she only managed to get a NABC. I remember him saying that the interview packet asked for either one of the originals as required for interview.

mkrishnarevera said:
Does anyone know what is the timeline after submitting DS230, when can we expect Interview Dates?

Thanks

Murthy

Approx within 3 months, or a little over.
You can see Chennai timelines for parents app here

Durres Special said:
Hi every one,

Any one with such a note from the USCIS web site and whom DO is not California but Boston or else? I had an other LUD on monday 9/11/2006 after the LUD on friday 9/8/2006. The 8th of September LUD had the following message:

On September 8, 2006, we transferred your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status to an office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. Our office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a local office.

I have not received anything else for this case or the other two I filled at the same date. Not even a LUD for the other two i-485's since the first day of showing up on line.

What all this means? Any ideas? Any one else in the same position. Please respond at your earlier convinience.

Peace out. :cool:

It is probably a good thing. In this forum we have seen instances where parents' cases were transferred to CSC even though they are not in CSC service area. When that happened, usually the cases were approved without an interview and faster than it would have at their DO. Check for experience of username "simidude" and also the timelines on first page of this thread (when it says no interview, they were approved by CSC).

AOS for mother. Please read...

Hello All,
I need some input on my mom's case if I may, I'm applying for AOS on her behalf.
Applications(I-130/864/864A/765) were mailed out to Chicago Lock box.
RD:07/18/06
ND:07/25/06
FP:08/11/06
Request for Initial evidence letter: 08/23/06
Rec'd:08/29/06.
This letter stated that they needed affidavit support forms I-864/864A and medical examination form I-693. My concern is what happened to the evidence I sent when original applications were submmited. The medical form was not included, it seems obvious that they were going to ask for this one to me, but you guys think that maybe those documents were lost? I sent the copies I had of all the supporting evidence along with the medical results.

Thank you all in advance for your input on my case.
lahoritamia

Aos Experience

We've used this forum as well as VJ, and have learned a lot. We would like to give back to this community by giving a detailed account of our AOS in the hope that others can benefit from our experience.

I posted this detailed account in VJ, but I will re-post here.

OUR MANTRA
"No Mistakes" and "Nothing Left to Chance"

INITIAL PREPARATION STAGE
My son (USC) petitioned for my adjustment of status from L1 to Legal Permanent Resident. We decided to hire an immigration lawyer to do the leg work because we were time-constraint. We also believe that if you are sick, you see a doctor. If you want a smooth AOS, you hire a good immigration lawyer.

From the get-go, we decided to be proactive and be two to three steps ahead in terms of preparation. We told our lawyer that we want to avoid an RFE situation, and that we want to work fast.

We gave the lawyer *COMPLETE* information and *COMPLETE* supporting documents. We insisted to personally check all application forms before he mails them to the Chicago lock box. Because of this proactive stance, we were able to catch and correct several crucial mistakes the lawyer made when typing the application forms thereby preventing possible RFEs. We ask the lawyer for a complete copy of every document that we signed, and copies of all supporting documents he mailed to USCIS.

SUPPLIES BOUGHT AT OFFICEMAX
1. Zipper expanding file + 8 pocket portfolio made by "It's Academic"
2. Several Manila folders
3. Pandaflex Classification Folder --> http://tinyurl.com/zzs6y
4. Avery Write On Tabs Series 1614X --> http://tinyurl.com/f9a23
5. OfficeMax binder clips

ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS
We kept *All* original documents in a separate Manila folder and used a binder clip (We did not punch holes and use Acco fasteners for the originals)
1. Birth certificates of son and father
2. Marriage certificate of father
3. Divorce decree
4. Son's certificate of citizenship
5. L1 documents

We then used the Avery Write On Tabs removable adhesive to label each original document for easy handling so we don't have to fumble around if the immigration officer should ask for a specific supporting document. It will also impress the hell out of the interviewer. You score major points because you are demonstrating that you are well-prepared and very organized, thereby making the interviewer's job a little easier.

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS (IN CASE INTERVIEWER WANTS COPIES)
We used the Pandaflex Classification Folder and punched holes on all copies of supporting documents and used the built-in fasteners. This particular Pandaflex has one divider and 4 fasteners. We again used the Avery Write On Tabs removable adhesive to label each document for easy handling.

Front Divider (Son)
1. I-130
-- son's certificate of citizenship
-- son's birth certificate
-- photocopy of son's DL and SS#

2. Affidavit of Support
-- son's W2 for 2005
-- son's ITR 2005
-- son's letter of employment
-- son's 8 months pay stubs

Back Divider (Father)
1. G-325
-- photocopy of father's DL and SS#

2. I-485
-- I-94 front and back
-- 1st page of passport with the biographical data and picture
-- US non-immigrant visa
-- port of entry stamp
-- father's birth certificate
-- father's marriage certificate
-- father's divorce decree

3. I-693 and Supplemental Form
-- copies of various medical and lab tests

SECONDARY SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS (IN CASE INTERVIEWER WANTS COPIES)
We organized secondary supporting documents in separate Manila folders and used the Avery Write On Tabs for each folder for designation. We placed these labeled folders into the Zipper expanding file + 8 pocket portfolio:

1. NOAs, biometric letter with stamp, copy of interview appointment letter
1. Pictures of father and son through the years
2. Cards that son gave to father through the years
3. Copy of son's school records, i.e. grade sheets, immunization records as a child, etc.
4. Father's ITR (2003, 2004, 2005) in case interviewer asked for proof that father paid US taxes.
5. Copies of divorce papers, legal filings, etc.
6. Copies of father's education papers and advanced degrees in case interviewer asked for father's educational qualifications.

The above is perhaps overkill, but we wanted to be prepared for anything.

INTERVIEW PRACTICE WITH LAWYER
One week before the interview, we had a practice session with our lawyer. He grilled us about the information we gave in the various forms. It is strongly advised to memorize all pertinent information like the names, addresses, dates in the I-485, I-130, and G-325.

INTERVIEW TIPS
Our lawyer gave us valuable tips:
1. Be cordial and respectful to the District Adjudication Officer (DAO)
2. Establish eye contact with the interviewer when answering questions
3. Establish that you entered the country legally.
4. Establish appropriate relation with your child or parent
5. Relax and keep your hands on your lap, and *NOT* on interviewer's desk.
6. Do not cover your mouth when you speak
7. Your answers must be straight and to the point unless asked to explain.
8. Do not volunteer information unless specifically asked.
9. Give only the document(s) specifically asked by the interviewer.
10. Do not volunteer document(s) that the interviewer *DID NOT* ask.
11. Take a shower, wear fresh and appropriate clothes, use mouth wash, apply Binaca breath freshener, *DO NOT* wear perfume *OR* wear very, very light perfume (if you must)
12. Treat this like a job interview where you present yourself in the best possible light. After all, this is just *THE MOST IMPORTANT INTERVIEW OF YOUR LIFE*

FINAL PREPARATION BEFORE THE INTERVIEW
Our interview was scheduled at 10:30 a.m., September 12, 2006

1. We did a final document check two days before the interview
2. My son and I did a final mock-up interview to make sure he knew what his father's complete name is, date of birth, place of birth, etc.
3. We stayed in a hotel (3 miles from the USCIS District Office) the day before the interview
4. We drove by the USCIS District Office the day before the interview (to get acquainted with the route so we won't get lost and miss our appointment).
5. We ate dinner at a fantastic seafood restaurant and just relaxed and enjoyed the company of my son.
6. We set our alarm clock so we can wake up 3 hours before the interview.
7. We asked the hotel desk clerk for a wake-up call in case our alarm clock screws up.
8. We slept early.
9. We woke up 3 hours before the interview, took our showers, shaved, brushed teeth, used mouth wash, wore our interview clothes, and looked sharp.
10. We ate a full breakfast.
11. Brushed teeth again, used mouth wash, applied Binaca breath freshener, and off we went to our appointment with destiny.
12. We arrived at the USCIS District Office 30 minutes before the interview.

THE INTERVIEW
Called in at 10:25 a.m. (5 minutes earlier). Our District Adjudication Officer (DAO) was a pleasant young lady, probably in her mid to late 20s (good sign).

She invited us to her office. We walked through a long and winding hall with several small offices (interview rooms). All offices have their doors opened, and we could see and hear the interviews going on inside as we walked by.

1. When we were inside the interviewer's office, I introduced myself, my son (USC), and my lawyer
2. DAO administered the oath for us to tell the truth, and nothing but ....
3. DAO offered our seats and asked for our IDs. We gave her our DLs and passports
4. She took my I-94 and attached it to our file.
5. She shuffled through our file and asked to see the original birth certificate of my son (USC). She returned it immediately after merely glancing at it.
6. She asked if my name is xxx, and I said "yes."
7. She asked if my current address is xxx, and I said "yes."
8. She asked if my phone number is xxx, and I said "yes."
9. She asked me when I entered the country, and I gave her the month and year.
10. She asked if I've ever been out of the country since my last entry, and I said "No, I've stayed in the US continuously for xxx number of years."
11. She asked one question from the I-485 whether I received public assistance in the United States from any source, blah, blah, blah, and I answered "no."
12. She then excused herself and went out of the room with my file. My lawyer told me that the DAO probably went to get the approval from her supervisor.
13. She came back after 2 minutes, shook my hands, and congratulated me saying that I was approved, and my green card should arrive in one to two weeks.
14. I asked the DAO if it would not terribly inconvenience her to stamp my passport with the I-551. She said they don't stamp passports anymore.
15. Our lawyer quickly interjected that he would like to request an "Approval Notification Letter" for his files. The DAO hesitated a bit, but then proceeded to type in her computer a modified form letter, printed two copies, gave one to my lawyer, and one to me.

Kudos to our great lawyer for his quick thinking because he sensed that I badly wanted the I-551 stamped in my passport for peace of mind while waiting for my green card.

After giving us the letter, she stood up signifying that the interview was over. We stood up, shook her hand, said our thank-you, and made a hasty retreat (lest she changes her mind). We were all grinning from ear to ear like Cheshire cats as we exited the building.

What a GREAT DAY !!!

CONCLUDING STATEMENT
Our interview lasted ten (10) minutes. The interviewer only asked to see one piece of original document, which was my son's birth certificate. She only asked one (1) question from the I-485 "no" list.

It was rather an anti-climactic and uneventful interview which was short and sweet. I was absolutely shocked and dumbfounded because the interview was very short and smooth. I turned to my lawyer and gasped --> "That's it ???"

After two months of high anxiety and sleepless nights, my future was decided in 10 minutes. But I was not about to complain.

I believe that several factors contributed to our fast and smooth AOS:

1. Meticulous attention to detail; not leaving anything to chance.
2. Being two to three steps ahead; asking ourselves what could possibly go wrong, and doing corrective measures.
3. Anticipate possible interviewer questions by thinking like one.
4. Being on top of, and taking control of the situation during our initial document preparation stage.
5. Submission of *COMPLETE* information and *COMPLETE* supporting documentation.
6. Prayers to God and abiding faith in Him after our application packet was mailed to the Chicago lock box because at that point, it was already out of our control.
7. A little bit of luck.

America is still the greatest country on earth. People come here from all over the world because it offers better opportunities and better future for us and our children. When you set foot in this country, it feels like being reborn.

America is a beacon of hope for those who experience persecution, for those who yearn to be free, for those who strive to be the best, and to be among the best.

However, I will not forget my heritage nor will I forget the country where I came from. I shall share the richness of my culture, and I shall contribute my talents to this country so that America will remain strong and vibrant.

There is no such thing as Irish-American, Italian-American, Chinese-American, Mexican-American or any hyphenated American. As far as I'm concerned, I am an American, plain and simple (albeit a citizen-candidate).

I am proud to be an American (to-be). This is my country now.

##########################################################
I strongly advise everybody to request for the
"Approval Notification Letter" for your peace of mind if
the interviewer won't stamp your passport with the I-551.
##########################################################

EXHIBIT A --> COPY OF THE APPROVAL NOTIFICATION LETTER

Name: xxxx
Address: xxxx

APPROVAL NOTIFICATION

Class: IRO as of 09/12/06
A No.: xxxx
Date Approved: 09/12/06

Your application for adjustment of status to that of a permanent resident has been approved, OR the conditions on your residence have been removed. The card production facility is in the process of producing your Permanent Resident Card (I-551). You should receive your I-551 card within a short period from the date of this notice. This letter does not convey any benefits and may not be used for legal purposes; it is merely a notification of action and an advisement that card production has been initiated.

You should NOT travel outside the United States unless you receive your new Permanent Resident Card.

You must notify the USCIS if you change your address. Your card will not be forwarded in the mail should you change your address. If you do no receive your card within sixty days you may schedule an INFOPASS appointment at www.USCIS.gov to inquire into the status of the card.

Your legal representative has been provided with a copy of this letter.

Sincerely,

xxxx
District Director

Thank God you had good breath, otherwise you would have certainly been deported, since you're only the father of a USC.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AOS for Mother

Hello all again,
I forgot to mention on my last post that the notices I have received come from the Summit Lees', MO office. As well as the notice requesting more evidence, we were instructed to sent supporting documents and forms to the mentioned office. We live in So. Cal., is this weird or it normal process?
Please comment...
Thank you
lahoritamia

lahoritamia said:
Hello all again,
I forgot to mention on my last post that the notices I have received come from the Summit Lees', MO office. As well as the notice requesting more evidence, we were instructed to sent supporting documents and forms to the mentioned office. We live in So. Cal., is this weird or it normal process?
Please comment...
Thank you
lahoritamia

It would be best to send whatever was requested in the RFE notices once again to the address mentioned in the RFE notice. If you would like, you can also send a covering letter stating that the Aff of Support papers were already filed with the original application.
The initial process before interview is done at NBC (Lee's summit). If your mother's case requires an interview it would be at your DO or the case may be transferred to CSC and they would notify you.

Jemmini,

Thank you for your reponse. I did follow directions and sent required information to the MO office, I was just concern about the case been taken care out there. Another question, do you know how BCIS determines when one is going to have a interview?
Lahoritamia

lahoritamia said:
Another question, do you know how BCIS determines when one is going to have a interview?

I wish I did, but I don't. I thought my Mom wouldn't have an interview b'cos all docs were sent along with the original application, but we still did have an interview - whereas some others even got RFE, but once they satisfied RFE, their case was approved without interview. It's still a puzzle, how interview waiver is determined.
Sometimes, 'when' the interview date is set by USCIS depends on the backlog/case load at the DO where the interview will be scheduled.

Carpe Diem....Congratulations!!
Your narrative of your AOS interview was amazing. Loved it.
If only the USCIS would be 1/100th as organized, and detailed as you were. So many people wouldn't be in so much paper trouble.

You also reminded me of my AOS. I asked myself the same question...."was that all???. It felt like a piece of cake!!". If only the rest of the work I did was as easy as the interview.
I sense you'll be applying for citizenship in a few years...I applaud you on that. America will welcome you with open arms...but you'll feel the interview will be as short...and as easy as the AOS.
Keep posting...I can't wait to see how you prepare for that one.
Show them how its done! :)

machelon said:
Carpe Diem....Congratulations!!
Your narrative of your AOS interview was amazing. Loved it.
If only the USCIS would be 1/100th as organized, and detailed as you were. So many people wouldn't be in so much paper trouble.

You also reminded me of my AOS. I asked myself the same question...."was that all???. It felt like a piece of cake!!". If only the rest of the work I did was as easy as the interview.
I sense you'll be applying for citizenship in a few years...I applaud you on that. America will welcome you with open arms...but you'll feel the interview will be as short...and as easy as the AOS.
Keep posting...I can't wait to see how you prepare for that one.
Show them how its done! :)

Machelon,

Thanks for your kind words. I enjoy reading your posts as well. I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to helpful members in this forum including "JENIMMI" and "NEEDURHELP," as well as a host of others.

I followed the advise of these fine folks about meticulous preparation and being proactive especially during the interview. I learned that you do everything possible with the things you have control, i.e. document preparation, to avoid RFEs and therefore delays in your app. You also have to do interview preps.

But once your application is submitted, it is already out of your control, and you are at the mercy of USCIS.

You also need a bit of luck. Fortunately, USCIS did not lose any of my documents. USCIS hired 1000 temps, and God knows how they handle or mishandle the apps. I also got lucky because I had a young and friendly adjudication officer during my interview

There are about 1 million backlogged applications being processed, and most of them because of the dreaded FBI name checks (beyond anyone's control), but a great number of them being incomplete or missing documents submitted by applicants (which could have been prevented by meticulous preparation and submission of an organized application packet with cover letter).

I can't wait until the day I can apply for my citizenship. I'll be the first in line.