GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Thanks Andromeda!!

One more question, for I-693 of your parents what kind of immunization records do people get from India? I'm at loss as I do not have anything for my Mom..

Thanks,
T

No worries if you dont have any records. Just go to a USCIS certified immigration physician in your area. As per the age and medical conditions they will provide immunizations and do checkups. Obviously having immunization record saves some money and botheration but this is nothing unusual.

Hello All,
I am new to this thread... and I apologize for my potentially dumb questions...but..

1) Technically when can a new USC apply for the parents? (I mean right on the day they take their oath or wait for getting the passport?)
Technically as soon as you are citizen and that is after oath, but remember you have to provide the proof with application that you are USC so you will need copy of naturalization certificate or copy of US passport. Naturalization certificate you get on day of oath where as US passport might take time and you have to provide original naturalization certificate for US passport. So if you are under time pressure, apply ASAP after oath with copy of naturalization certificate and then apply for your US passport.
2) Is AOS better route to go or CP?

Thanks,
speedy
These are 2 different routes designed for people who are inside US or outside US, so the purpose is different but leads to same results. There are pros n cons of both and is individuals choice as per situation. Read more on this forum on different threads to find the differences in details an then see your situation to make a decision.

Technically as soon as you are citizen and that is after oath, but remember you have to provide the proof with application that you are USC so you will need copy of naturalization certificate or copy of US passport. Naturalization certificate you get on day of oath where as US passport might take time and you have to provide original naturalization certificate for US passport. So if you are under time pressure, apply ASAP after oath with copy of naturalization certificate and then apply for your US passport.

These are 2 different routes designed for people who are inside US or outside US, so the purpose is different but leads to same results. There are pros n cons of both and is individuals choice as per situation. Read more on this forum on different threads to find the differences in details an then see your situation to make a decision.

Thanks andromeda for the responses!

Which route (AOS or CP) takes longer time?

Thanks.

ml_boston,

Thanks, for the wishes. Yes I guess this is the next forum to start reading. USC Interview was pretty good, I did post my comments.

Well best of luck....it was nice exchanging some thoughts with you.

updating the time line as follows

I am not sure if the fact we apply for i131 the end of Aug. caused the delay for the actual GC approval, anyhow, my parents got i-131 the day before.

and to anser LKBECTZ's question, it took about 49 days for i-131 to get approved

Updated timelines below:
I got AP and EAD for my mother and not my father. No change in LUD for father for I-131 and I-765 since receipt (08/04/08)
Any suggestion on anything I can do at this point?

I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 - [SJC]
07/30/08: Exp mail (rcvd 07/31)
08/04/08: Checks cleared & notices mailed (rcvd 08/08)
08/27/08: FP (notice rcvd 08/12)
09/09/08: I-130 & I-485 transferred to CSC.
09/15/08: I-130 & I-485 pending at the office to which it was transferred. (LUD 9/16 & 9/17 with same message)
10/01/08: I-485 LUD (also 10/02 with same message)
10/02/08: I-131 approved (recv 10/11/08) - mother
10/03/08: I-765 card ordered (10/10/08 approval sent and rcvd 10/14/08) - mother

Last edited by a moderator:
Forms' advise on AOS for father

My father is with me for three more weeks. I would like to file for his AOS
in that timeframe. Thereafter he is visiting a relative in another state.

Please kindly advise if this is how I proceed for AOS:

I-130 + I-485 + G-325A + I-864 + I-693.

(1) Do I have to file all the above forms at the same time?

(2) My dad would like to leave for India for a few months to take care of
some family matter in India. Is I-131 the form I'll have to file? And
is this done when I file the others from (1) above?

Thanks.

My father is with me for three more weeks. I would like to file for his AOS
in that timeframe. Thereafter he is visiting a relative in another state.

Please kindly advise if this is how I proceed for AOS:

I-130 + I-485 + G-325A + I-864 + I-693.

(1) Do I have to file all the above forms at the same time?

(2) My dad would like to leave for India for a few months to take care of
some family matter in India. Is I-131 the form I'll have to file? And
is this done when I file the others from (1) above?

Thanks.

Yes file I-130, I-485, G-325A, I-864, I-693 along with I-131 and I-765 also. Multiple benefits of applying everything together. Your father will have to wait for I-131 to approve before going back or elese re-entry will be a problem. It is taking approx little over 2 months as of now for I-131 to approve, if everything goes as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one thing - I-765 - why would I file that with I-131? Presently my dad has no plans to work here. But if he decides to in the future, will the I-765 be useful?

Thanks!

Just one thing - I-765 - why would I file that with I-131? Presently my dad has no plans to work here. But if he decides to in the future, will the I-765 be useful?

Thanks!
Filing I-765 & I-131 along with I-485 is free. Later you might have to pay separately. I-765 is for Employment Authorization and I-131 is to travel during pending I-485.

Dear andromeda2007, filing AP and EAD later than 485 is free now according to the instruction, and I filed AP for my parents for free 2 and half month later than 485

we didn't apply 765, since my parents don't plan to work here, they had retired for a couple of years in our home country.

My parents' cases were transferred to CSC for almost two months now, and only the LUD changed twice, I am wondering if I need to do something at this point? and how? Any suggestions, gurus?

My parents' cases were transferred to CSC for almost two months now, and only the LUD changed twice, I am wondering if I need to do something at this point? and how? Any suggestions, gurus?

Looking at ML's timeline for following:

08/30/08 - Case transfer to CSC
09/30/08 - LUD I-130 - Approval notice sent on 9/29
10/01/08 - LUD I-485 - Welcome letter sent on 9/30

Going by that, I assume that you should have it by now. But in ML's timeline you also have:

05/25/08 - Notice dates for all notices
06/12/08 - Fingerprint appointment date

So it actually took little over 4 months from notice date and 3.5 months from FP for I-130/I-485 to get approved. Now I am not saying this is how long it takes, but it is a data point from an actual case. You NOA is 6/20 & FP is 07/12. Does that mean you are behind ML by a month? May be .... so another guess will be by end of this month or early next month you should have approvals on I-130 and I-485.

In my case if I go by that data, I should have approvals by mid December. Again this is just a guess. Another complication in my case is that EAD/AP came only for mother and not for father, so that is worrying me more.

I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 - [SJC]
07/30/08: Exp mail (rcvd 07/31)
08/04/08: Checks cleared & notices mailed (rcvd 08/08)
08/27/08: FP (notice rcvd 08/12)
09/09/08: I-130 & I-485 transferred to CSC.
09/15/08: I-130 & I-485 pending at the office to which it was transferred. (LUD 9/16 & 9/17 with same message)
10/01/08: I-485 LUD (also 10/02 with same message)
10/02/08: I-131 approved (recv 10/11/08) - mother
10/03/08: I-765 card ordered (10/10/08 approval sent and rcvd 10/14/08) - mother

Had you thought about scheduling an infopass to seek some advise from uscis face to face.

Hello all, I'm very new to this forum. Could anyone please give me some advices? I sent in I-130 on Sep. 9 (last month) to petition to get a greencard for my mom while she's here on a tourist visa. At the time I submitted I-130, I hadn't known I could have sent in I-485 at the same time. I've already received the receipt for I-130. My mom's I-94 will expire at the end of Febuary and I'm quite worried about the timeline. Should I have my mom send in I-485 now, eventhough my I-130 is still pending? Thanks a lot in advance.