GC for parent: average time of getting it starting with first submitting paperwork

taurean12

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone

I have a query about GC processing? I always though it takes a few years.

How long does it take on average for GC to come through for a parent for those who have applied

Thanks

Hi Everyone

I have a query about GC processing? I always though it takes a few years.

How long does it take on average for GC to come through for a parent for those who have applied

Thanks

Is the application for GC going to be processed as an adjustment of status (applying in the US) or via a immigrant visa (applying from overseas)?

If in the US then it depends on how long it takes your current local office to process I-485 applications. When my wife adjusted her status it took 83 days for her to get her GC (Baltimore, MD applied Dec 2009, received Mar 2010).

If outside of the US then the entire process can take about a year. My wife submitted the I-130 petition for Alien Relative in June 2013 and it is still pending. Once approved then it needs to be processed by the State Department and her parents will have an interview at the local embassy overseas. When the visa is approved and they arrive in the US then they will become automatic GC holders.

However, each case is different and the processing times are always changing.

Is the application for GC going to be processed as an adjustment of status (applying in the US) or via a immigrant visa (applying from overseas)?

If in the US then it depends on how long it takes your current local office to process I-485 applications. When my wife adjusted her status it took 83 days for her to get her GC (Baltimore, MD applied Dec 2009, received Mar 2010).

If outside of the US then the entire process can take about a year. My wife submitted the I-130 petition for Alien Relative in June 2013 and it is still pending. Once approved then it needs to be processed by the State Department and her parents will have an interview at the local embassy overseas. When the visa is approved and they arrive in the US then they will become automatic GC holders.

However, each case is different and the processing times are always changing.

Hi Dhlunar,

Thanks for your reply, I am completely new at this. My father resides in India currently. I will be applying for him from here. We are US citizens. so I am not sure, I think I should apply for him here locally right??

Any help will be appreciated, what about medical clearance etc...

Taurean12

First, if you intend to have your dad stay in India during the entire process then the route in which you will take is called Consular Processing (you may see people here refer to it as CP). If you are doing CP then you start the process by filing a I-130 with the USCIS lockbox in Chicago http://www.uscis.gov/i-130. Once USCIS approves the application (currently taking about 7 months) the petition will be forward to the National Visa Center (NVC) under the State Department, where you will be asked to pay fees and submit civil documents. Once everything is in order, NVC will schedule a visa appointment for you dad with the local consulate. Medical review is generally done right before the interview. If your dad is approved, he will become a Green Card holder when he arrives in the US.

This link to the State Department has a flow chart on how the Immigrant Visa process works: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process.html